Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Tales

Post by Citroening » 23 Jul 2012, 19:25

Happy Birthday Jim for yesterday!
CitroJim wrote:What make you think I'm talking about you Chris? :lol: I might well know somebody else in the general region who's also working on an XM V6. After all I never said what engine it was. It might have been a PRV V6... :wink:

Joking aside there is a PRV V6 engined XM not that far from Chris'.... :lol:

Indeed the XM Prestige is ETW too...
0 x
Franklin

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 23 Jul 2012, 19:37

Thanks Franklin :-D

That Prestige looks very nice... One of yours?
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening » 23 Jul 2012, 19:52

CitroJim wrote:That Prestige looks very nice... One of yours?

Indeed Jim - see Club XM for the story - http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =19&t=3367

Gordon had it from new and suffice to say it's staying in the family! Think it was £18,000 he paid for it...

It's not too bad - needs a bit of work and as it's near to Black the plan is to repaint the whole car in Black. Black with Black Leather is my favourite combo'... Have already fitted replacement wing and nosecone...
0 x
Franklin

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 23 Jul 2012, 19:55

andmcit wrote:ETW is a lovely colour - I've an Activa s1 and an Xm TCT in this colour!!

Yours is one of the two S1s in dark grey which I mentioned earlier, the other was a very lonely looking one at WHM, though its never been seen again! :( Its probably still there, just lost to the undergrowth.

Black XM Prestiges with black leather interiors are the ultimate in cool XMs Franklin 8-) :roll: :lol:

I hope you enjoy your week off Jim, no doubt out driving your new toy :-D
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Jul 2012, 17:20

Citroenmad wrote:I hope you enjoy your week off Jim, no doubt out driving your new toy :-D

And some gentle spannering on her Chris...

ABS is now fixed. A new sensor did the trick. Airbag light is on but that looks like the steering rotary has failed... Another day maybe...

To me the ABS is the more critical one and I'm never happy without fully working ABS on a Xantia.

The expansion tank is a bit weepy and leaves little coolant puddles when parked and well topped-up. I'll have to buy one as it looks like I let my good spare go to PavlosV6...

Had some car window fun too.. It started on Sunday with the ex popping in to ask if I could look at her 207. The electric window and mirror control panel had disappeared inside the door. A quick disassembly showed the panel clips holding the switch module had all broken. It looks a real cheap and poor old job with very flimsy plastic. Looks like a whole new panel will be needed. Bodged for now.

And dammed if the same exactly didn't happen today on Siany's Nissan Pixo :evil: Exact same problem, exact same cause and broken by exactly the same person :lol: She was not amused in the slightest when I jokingly suggested she's making a bit of a habit of busting electric window switch panels...

I guess I will have to go and make friends with my local Nissan Stealer now :twisted:

All being well I plan to give the gearbox oil a change in the grey V6 tomorrow...
0 x
Jim

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 25 Jul 2012, 18:11

Cor! That's a bit of surprise! When it comes to switches like that, you would have thought that to release them you would need to pull them out like every other switch on the dashboard :lol:
0 x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Jul 2012, 14:14

red_dwarfers wrote:Cor! That's a bit of surprise! When it comes to switches like that, you would have thought that to release them you would need to pull them out like every other switch on the dashboard :lol:

Sigh! You'd have thought so Kev, but no, in this brave new world of crap plastic and no common sense, they hang them by clips from panels... It's going to happen and it will and it does :evil:

Changed the gearbox oil in the new old V6 today. It had done 50,000 miles since the last change (rebuild actually) and I thought I ought but I needn't have bothered really. It was still beautifully clean and golden. I got close on 5 litres out. That's well over half of it.

I then took a nice run over to see Xantia_V6 at his place of toil to pick up a spare expansion tank. It will be fitted when the car and the weather cools down a tad... Time for a siesta...
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Jul 2012, 10:12

Coolant header tank replaced...

The old one was due for replacement I think :lol:

It's remarkable just how little coolant it was loosing but just enough to niggle me with a (very) small puddle on the drive after a run...

You know what I'm like about anything that leaks, even a little... :roll:

That's it. New old V6 is now basically sorted :-D

Just odd little jobs now...
0 x
Jim

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v » 27 Jul 2012, 16:02

True Jim , it's the small jobs that niggle you the most , I've got a few bits to get sorted on the Zx for it's Mot in sept and it's starting to bug me now as I haven't had the time or funds .

Mark
0 x
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 27 Jul 2012, 19:11

CitroJim wrote:The old one was due for replacement I think :lol:

I don't know what you are complaining about... It only leaked from the top half :wink:
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Jul 2012, 19:18

xantia_v6 wrote:I don't know what you are complaining about... It only leaked from the top half :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The replacement is a good 'un but it didn't half take some cleaning. It seemed like there was a garden in there, so much soil-like stuff came out :lol: I half expected a tomato plant to be growing in it...

Thanks ever so much for the very quick work of getting me a replacement Mike, really appreciated. And to be honest, on the trip over to see you yesterday it barely lost any coolant at all so it was hardly pressing but you know me... I can be ever so fussy in some ways :roll:

Have a lovely time in France :-D
0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 27 Jul 2012, 20:17

Nice work, it is often the little/simple jobs which make the most difference. Im looking forward to seeing your new old V6 Jim, it looks a cracker.
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 27 Jul 2012, 22:37

CitroJim wrote:Have a lovely time in France :-D

My "new" V6 made it down with no drama, a couple of minor niggles to sort out, but the main thing is that it is considerably quieter at 135km/h than your new "old" V6. Otherwise, I would not have noticed that I had changed car.

The last 300km or so was at 135km/h temperatures in the mid 30s, and the water and oil temperature gauges sat steadily at 90 and 110 respectively.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Jul 2012, 07:29

Excellent stuff Mike, delighted the journey went well :-D

In a well-used high-mileage car it will be an aggregation of a little wear in a lot of components adding up to make quite a big whole. Good job I'm a little deaf I guess :lol:

On that subject, dad, for reasons of WWII and a cannon, is profoundly deaf and it's only with the advent of high-tech modern hearing aids he has any real hearing at all. That never stopped him being able to detect odd noises in cars though. I can remember as a kid many instances where small noises in his car would drive him (and the local garage) to distraction. I particularly recall a diff whine in a nearly new Austin A40 Farina which he nagged on and on about until the garage swapped the diff just to satisfy him. When asked what would happen to the noisy diff the garage said it would be held in stock and fitted to another car in due course as nobody else could hear the whine dad complained of...

The same thing happened a good few years later with a near-new R5. Dad had the gearbox replaced on that one to the exasperation of the garage. I couldn't hear it and by then I knew a bit about cars myself... Still, that early R5 (in 1976) started off my love of French cars...

I still wonder how he could, being so deaf, hear mechanical noises nobody else could...
0 x
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 28 Jul 2012, 09:26

Reminiscent of Evelyn Glennie whom I'm informed was at the olympics opening ceremony.
I saw her years ago and was extremely impressed with her virtuosity and even more so when I learned that she was profoundly deaf.
She 'hears' vibrations in various limbs that enable her to perform so well.

0 x

Jackie Evancho