Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Tales

Post by CitroJim » 03 Jun 2012, 22:31

That sounds an interesting system Vince and ideal if you can't interpret what the other sensors are telling you... Just the job for the trade :)

I can't find anything else amiss on the V6 and as the fault coincides with a recent full new exhaust system I fear they may have damaged the Lambda Sensor then...

Still, we'll soon know...

Problem is, a Lexia on an older Citroen does not give P codes because they're non-EOBD compliant... Be interesting to see how your system might cope with that...
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 03 Jun 2012, 23:03

usually the tech helpdesk will help link a non p code to get you to the same results if the code doesnt work. If the exhaust has been replaced then you can probably bet the lambda being swapped over has killed it.
0 x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 14 Jun 2012, 15:02

It's not been a good week at all. I'm currently off sick suffering severe fatigue and exhaustion. It's a thing that plagues me regularly and brings me to my knees all too often these days...

Due to it I nearly didn't make the DSM Rally this weekend. It was only sheer willpower that got me there on Saturday.

On Sunday, again running on willpower alone, I went to see Chris570 who was suffering a smelly HDi with a diesel leak. The leak was quickly diagnosed to a suspected tiny split in the pipe that runs between the HP pump outlet and the fuel rail. Chris has since replaced the pipe and all is now good. Then it was back to DSM. Truth be told, due to feeling lousy I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

From Monday until today it's been a written off week really. Most of it has been spent asleep with the occasional forays into this forum.

Yesterday evening, feeling a tad perkier, I attempted replacing the oxygen sensor on Old V6 and nearly killed myself in the process. I just couldn't muster the strength or concentration needed. The rest of the evening was truly written off. In the end Paul had to do the job under guidance. The sensor was really really tight all the way out and when it eventually came out we could see why. The sensor boss in the new downpipe fitted to replace the complete exhaust a few months ago had a damaged tread and the thread of the old sensor was well mangled. We could also see evidence of violence on the old sensor where they must have really struggled to fit it. It is assumed they damaged it in fitting it. Paul struggled in the new one and on the Lexia we were relieved, nay delighted, to see the new one performing as expected ranging from a low of 80mV up to a high of 900mV over the course of a second and with a much sweeter smelling exhaust :)

I've put Rattiva to bed for the summer now and brought New V6 into active daily use. Rattiva is my winter car and now winter seems to be over it's time for her to rest and make way for my summer car... I'll miss Rattiva's economy I expect and doubtless she'll see use occasionally when there's a scruffy haulage job needing doing.

Off to see the medical profession on Tuesday to see if they can offer any clue to what's going on. Shame they can't plug a Lexia into me :roll:

And again the Activa must wait for new tyres. I've just had to help Robyn out to the tune of quite a stack of dosh to secure her accommodation in Aberystwyth for the next year of Uni...
0 x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 15 Jun 2012, 10:02

Hope you can catch up on some rest. No fun being knackered all the time; quack might have some beneficial input...
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 15 Jun 2012, 10:38

Thanks Adam :-D

addo wrote:quack might have some beneficial input...

One hopes [-o< At least she's noted there's a bit of a pattern going on over the last couple of years and she's a youngster with a bit of enthusiasm going by first impressions. Older and more cynical quacks tend to flinch at any problem that might be above the neck and reach for a box of pills and send you on your way quick. They don't do heads..

Younger and keener ones are generally a little more aware. As always, we'll see :roll:
0 x
Jim

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 16 Jun 2012, 13:23

All the best Jim, hope she can gradually retune you back to your optimal settings :)
0 x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Jun 2012, 16:51

red_dwarfers wrote:All the best Jim, hope she can gradually retune you back to your optimal settings :)

Thanks Kev :-D Happy to say a bit better today but still not firing on all cylinders just yet... Still, managed to give the house a good thorough clean today and hope to get out and mow the lawn in a bit...
0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 16 Jun 2012, 21:40

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling yourself Jim, im sure a quieter week must have done you some good. I hope your feeling back of form again soon.

I didn't realise your HDI was only the winter hack, you'll no doubt be enjoying the V6 to the full all summer. Perhaps that its because your still in your winter car that we are having some interesting, non summer like, weather :lol:
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2012, 07:55

Citroenmad wrote:Sorry to hear you have not been feeling yourself Jim, im sure a quieter week must have done you some good. I hope your feeling back of form again soon.

Me too Chris... It's been going on for a bit too long now. Still yesterday was a definitely better day. I got the house cleaned from top to bottom, tidied up the garden a bit, mowed the lawn and then went to Tesco. I was a bit wrecked at the end of it though and paying for it today :evil: Fell asleep at 9 last night :roll:

Citroenmad wrote:Perhaps that its because your still in your winter car that we are having some interesting, non summer like, weather :lol:

Well, the indications are that there's a definite improvement in the weather - there's a big, bright yellow ball in a blue sky here at the moment :-D It was always the intention of Rattiva to be a winter car but for reasons many she stayed in service longer than intended this year. I had this blinding thought in the week - 'I have a gorgeous V6 doing nothing so why am I still running around in a scruffy old HDi now that winter is at an end?' - I'm really enjoying the V6 again and not least for the reason it practically drives itself. Just now that's a bit of an advantage as I'm not very happy driving very far, I'm not my normal alert self by any means and my concentration span is not good. 10 miles is about my limit at the moment and last night I felt decidedly unsafe on the way back from Tesco :( I took it very carefully and was glad the V6 spared me the task of clutch and gears.
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2012, 17:38

Despite still not being good and following a lovely visit from my girls for Father's Day the urge to do a bit of spannering became overwhelming.

This is the result:

Yep, a dismantled Harrison Aircon compressor clutch to get at the idler bearing :-D

The job started with a bit of lathe work to make the puller tool seen in the foreground from absolute scratch. It's not pretty but it did the job. By golly the front plate was marvellously tight on the shaft :twisted: The thread is an odd one. It's not M20 or M21 but something in between.

The main part of the pulley was a relatively easy pull using a three-legged puller but the bearing extraction itself needed the press and an old Xantia front wheel bearing as a mandrel...

Not a bad afternoon's work... I'm happy but now completely exhausted :(
0 x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 17 Jun 2012, 18:12

Brilliant news Jim! You don't fancy doing Cassy's tonight then? :D tee-hee
0 x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2012, 18:28

Xac wrote:You don't fancy doing Cassy's tonight then?

Oh gawd no :evil: Sorry :oops: Just doing what I did today has made me feel very rough and groggy :( I really did it as a bit of a test/challenge so that if necessary I could give the doctor some idea of what it takes to completely and utterly floor me and to see for myself just what the score is. I now know and it's not much :cry:

I fear Cassy may have to await a bit more recovery on my part :roll: Still, you won't need the aircon until August anyway so there's no rush :lol:

In the meantime get some Plus Gas working around the shaft and front nut :wink:
0 x
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 17 Jun 2012, 18:41

So why does the compressor need dismembering then as I believe
I've got one of these in one piece spare!?
0 x
Nothing moves you like a Citroën

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 17 Jun 2012, 18:42

Definitely need you back in tip top shape Jim :)
Should I mention I think Jenny's is squeaking a bit?

I'm still debating whether I should brave the wind and have a go at Jenny's welded on oil filter with the strap wrench you've lent me.

Andrew, the bearing goes and needs replacing.
Failure to do that results in flames as Teh_Agent once found out!
Cassy's running with a very short belt to exclude the compressor.
0 x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2012, 18:49

andmcit wrote:So why does the compressor need dismembering then as I believe
I've got one of these in one piece spare!?

To replace the pulley bearing Andrew, it's worn and rumbly. As Xac says, they can seize and break up with terrible consequences and we've both seen it happen. The bearing is the one in the picture right next to the compressor itself...

The Harrison compressor in the picture is the ultra-rare one fitted to some 1.9TDs with big hex unions for the pipe connections rather than the more normal plate flange...

Xac has been trying to source a spare now for longer than we've had a Tory Government...

Xac wrote:I'm still debating whether I should brave the wind and have a go at Jenny's welded on oil filter with the strap wrench you've lent me.

It's not windy here... Go on, If that webbing strap wrench does not do the trick than whatever you do, don't stab the filter with a screwdriver. You'll end up in a whole world of pain and blood...

If Jenny's is a bit squeky too we can do hers as well. Think of it as a buy one get one free...

Just give me a chance to recover though....
0 x
Jim