Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Tales

Post by Citroenmad » 12 May 2012, 23:09

Deanxm wrote:Jeees Chris i could insure the xm and Xant for that money!!!

D

Yes, think ill have to swap the C5 for a C1 if I want cheap insurance :lol:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 12 May 2012, 23:17

Citroenmad wrote:Not too bad a fix for the 206 then, they are good little cars and once you get used to them they can be fun to chuck about. My 2.0HDi 206 was excellent fun, thought me lift off oversteer :lol:

Mike, that is very cheap, how do you manage that? :lol:

I don't know. I was expecting over £400. I've been with E-Sure for a couple of years. RUNN will cost me nearly £350 to insure per year..
0x

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 12 May 2012, 23:59

CitroJim wrote:On the car front, I've just insured Sian on her Pixo and again Admiral came out brilliantly. yet another car on my multi-car policy. That's five now :roll: I was delighted that I was able to cover Sian for less than £600...

Is that as a provisional or full licence Jim? Admiral did Danielles' C3 with her as a provisional licence holder including me and Dawn for £460 fully comp.
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 13 May 2012, 11:19

Guy at work, early forties, just reinsured hi Skoda Fabia VRS for £219 with Axa.
Mine is due for renewal soon so may try them. Going to try SAGA again, just for laughs, usually twice as much as the nearest competitor.

Daughter swapped her Rover 75 for a Clio after being told the insurance would be £300 as opposed to the £629 for the Rover.
Came through at £480! She was also sold legal cover at £17 that they then charged her £26 for. She'll be on the phone to them then. (Sheila's Wheels) (subsidiary of Eshure, I wouldn't have anything to do with that lot since they have bloody Michael Winner pimping for them)
0x

Jackie Evancho

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 13 May 2012, 11:43

I be your daughter wishes she kept the R75 now! Saving £150 a year on insurance surely doesn't warrant a swap to a Clio :lol:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 14 May 2012, 00:38

Citroenmad wrote:I be your daughter wishes she kept the R75 now! Saving £150 a year on insurance surely doesn't warrant a swap to a Clio :lol:

Nothing warrants a swap to a Renault. Any Renault.
0x

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 14 May 2012, 00:39

myglaren wrote:Guy at work, early forties, just reinsured hi Skoda Fabia VRS for £219 with Axa.
Mine is due for renewal soon so may try them. Going to try SAGA again, just for laughs, usually twice as much as the nearest competitor.

Daughter swapped her Rover 75 for a Clio after being told the insurance would be £300 as opposed to the £629 for the Rover.
Came through at £480! She was also sold legal cover at £17 that they then charged her £26 for. She'll be on the phone to them then. (Sheila's Wheels) (subsidiary of Eshure, I wouldn't have anything to do with that lot since they have bloody Michael Winner pimping for them)

I'm with E-Sure. I couldn't care less who pimps for them. They were a lot cheaper than anyone else, give good customer service (well, to me anyway) and sorted out my Focus claim last year very well indeed.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 18 May 2012, 21:41

Oh what a fun week. I had to disappear very rapidly to Somerset on Sunday morning and suffer accommodation in a Travelodge for two glorious nights :twisted: Hot water is apparently an alien concept to them.

It meant three days away from work and I arrived back to rather a large backlog :twisted:

Someone asked me when I'd be completing a certain task and I suggested they consult a crystal ball and besides, I had more balls up in the air than a lottery machine. That someone asked how this was a problem as that only amounted to 49 balls; surely I was able to juggle more balls than that....

Still I did get a bit of theraputic spannering in on Wednesday, my recovery day, on Robyn's 206. The brake and handbrake pedal travel was rather excessive and this was all down to the rear (drum) brake adjusters not doing their stuff. So, it was off with the drums and a good clean and a manual ratchet-up of the adjusters to give them the idea. All seems good now and the brakes are overall much improved although still rubbish against Xantia brakes. I then saw to the broken bonnet hinge by taking it off and spinning up a new pivot pin in the lathe and riveting it in.

I've been running around in the 206 for the rest of the week and all seems good. No stalling, it's running like a little sewing machine and is great fun. But oh gosh it's noisy and bumpy compared to the Xantia... The little TU - what an engine... Shame they never made a 2.8 V8 from two TUs - it would have been truly brilliant 8-)

Rattiva is resting as she was called into service to get to Somerset ASAP on Sunday and by my standards she was thrashed unmercifully for three very busy days. She did her job magnificently as always and with her usual conservative use of fuel :-D

I gave Siany's Nissan Pixo a pre-MOT this evening. Hardly necessary as it's essentially a brand-new car with just 1400 miles on the clock, 100 of which Sinay has put on herself. I sat with her this evening whilst she drove and she's a natural. She's been driving barely a month and she's got it well and proper. Her clutch control belies the time she's been driving. Makes me wonder if she's been going out at night and joy-riding for several years she's so good...

Siany helped me with the pre-MOT and hopefully learned a little. She now knows where all the light switches are, how to test seatbelts and how to check wheels, tyres and suspension. Also, where and how to check the dipstick, brake fluid reservoir, and coolant header tank and why... That's proper dad work - teaching my little girl how to look after her car.

Old V6 is coming around tomorrow for her pre-MOT...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 20 May 2012, 20:40

It's been a rare old weekend of getting the spanners out :-D :-D On Saturday Paul came round in Old V6 for one of my pre-MOTs and we found the car to be as fit as a butcher's dog.

Today has been like a mini-rally here. Chris570, Xac, Citrov6 and Xantia_V6 :-D

Chris570 was keen to measure the main-line hydraulic pressure on his HDi and used my little tester. In the event all was fine but he put a fair old puddle of LHM on the road outside my house doing it :twisted:

I bought a couple of new front corner spheres from citrov6 and decided to fit them to Rattiva there and then. The front had sunk right down overnight and I assumed all pressure was gone. I should have known. I really should have when the spheres were rather tight to undo. All of a sudden I received an epic douche-vert of biblical proportions. It sprayed right over me and soaked my sweatshirt before I hopped out of the way. the spray continues in a jet that travelled a good 6 feet to the other side of my neighbour's drive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xac regrets he never recorded it as a video!!! he was too busy trying to stem the flow.

In the end it did but not before two big puddles had formed under Rattiva and a nice one on the neighbour's drive.

I had to do some emergency road washing. Having no driveway cleaner left I improvised with washing up liquid. It worked, albeit with lots of foam. It took a lot of water to rinse it away and I risked getting the hosepipe out to do it :lol: :lol:

Still, it was worth it. Rattiva drives a bit better now.

Last job for the day, on the cars at least, was to hoover out both Rattiva and Robyn's 206 before mowing the lawn and some household tasks, including washing my LHM-soaked clothes...

Robyn's 206 is running fine now but my resolve to use it for a few more days broke under an overwhelming craving for the Xantia. The 206 is a fine little car but you can only wear a hair-shirt for so long. Getting in the Xantia again was bliss :P
0x
Jim

holmedog
My Cars:

Post by holmedog » 20 May 2012, 21:35

It sounds like a fun packed weekend at your place. I just thought i would have a look at your blog to try and learn more about the man who seems to know everything about the activa. Even when i call into the citroen main dealers for parts they don't seem to have any mechanics with the knowledge and wisdom you seem to posses.

As you have probably guest by reading some of my posts i know very little about the cars apart from one thing they are absolutely awesome.
At some point i will have to meet you ,xac and some of the others who have given me great advice. I am trying to do the best i can with my Activa but with money being tight with two young kids,most of the time i have to pay someone to do the jobs tha require special tools. This frustrates me a little because i wanted the car so i could do any work on it myself. But maybe one day she will be 100%.
0x
Gun Metal Grey Activa turbo,R.I.P. Gone to scrap yard in the sky and jims garage
Blue Activa from dr.madvibe
Silver Activa lost soul

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 May 2012, 08:14

A really great and lovely trip to Aberystwyth and back yesterday to bring Robyn home for the summer. As she's moved out of halls now we also brought all her stuff back. I was faced with a mountain of stuff that never looked like it was all going to fit :lol: A bit of tetris and it was all in. I've never seen a Xantia hatch so loaded :lol:

Rattiva did a sterling job and so did the aircon! Running all the time... She's now well past 205,000 miles...

The trouble with me going there is my longing to live there increases...

Sian's Pixo passed the MOT on Friday and has been re-taxed for another year. £20!!! Silly... MOT cost more than the tax. Wish insurance was as cheap...

Paul's Old V6 failed the MOT :cry: Emissions are a tad high. I'll be taking a butchers' on Tuesday.

Off to get my V6 ready for her trip to Somerset later today and her special duty on Monday.

I've not looked at the forum in several days due to workload I shall try to catch up later today...
0x
Jim

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 27 May 2012, 08:45

CitroJim wrote:Paul's Old V6 failed the MOT :cry: Emissions are a tad high. I'll be taking a butchers' on Tuesday.

Take a look at this recent Wheeler Dealer video from 6.20, looks like an interesting process that may sort it out relatively cheaply.

0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 May 2012, 10:21

Typical of that horribly objectionable character to go for Snake Oil rather than doing the job properly...

Wheeler Dealers would be quite good if it were not for that Brewer bloke. What's the deal with his spannerman's hair :lol: :lol:
0x
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 27 May 2012, 10:52

CitroJim wrote:Paul's Old V6 failed the MOT :cry: Emissions are a tad high. I'll be taking a butchers' on Tuesday.

My V6 has a lazy cat, and will only pass the MOT CO test if the cat is really hot. HCs are perfect, as are the COs after running the engine at 3000+ RPM for a couple of minutes. Fortunately my local MOT tester is quite sympathetic to old cars.
0x

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 27 May 2012, 12:16

CitroJim wrote:Typical of that horribly objectionable character to go for Snake Oil rather than doing the job properly...

If it does the job of cleaning the injectors etc without having to go to the hassle of removing them, it sounds rather a good idea to me :?
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH