Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Tales

Post by Citroening » 19 Dec 2011, 19:55

Citroenmad wrote:That looks a good place to visit, even with the slightly iffy looking 'D'. Ill try to make a CCC event to there if one goes ahead. :)

...would you like me to add you to the CCC East Midlands Group mailing list Chris, and then you'll get all the necessary updates etc? PM me your email address if you do. :)

There was a 2CV in there too...
0x
Franklin

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 19 Dec 2011, 20:26

Citroening wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:That looks a good place to visit, even with the slightly iffy looking 'D'. Ill try to make a CCC event to there if one goes ahead. :)

...would you like me to add you to the CCC East Midlands Group mailing list Chris, and then you'll get all the necessary updates etc? PM me your email address if you do. :)

There was a 2CV in there too...

Yes please :) PM sent!
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 19 Dec 2011, 22:19

Stondon Motor Museum was another place I used to change drivers at, that DS is as rotten as a pair underneath, on one of my visits there they were having trouble with the rear height corrector not raising the suspension but they didn't have a clue about Citroen hydraulics so following a brief conversation I was invited to take a look at it whilst it was up on their ramp, underneath it was not a pretty sight, frilly metal everywhere with large gaps on the inner panels where there should be metal. I believe it was sold on eBay several years ago for £20K+ but clearly the sale fell through.

The museum is quite different from most museums in that very few exhibits are shiney shiney, last time I was there they had an SM tucked away in a corner and some experimental Rover Metros that weren't put into production.
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening » 19 Dec 2011, 22:23

There were a couple of cars there with rusty panels etc! :lol:

This was a peculiar looking thing, the "Scout":

0x
Franklin

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 19 Dec 2011, 22:32

Im definitely going to have to visit there some time, only 4 hours from me!

I saw the 2cv in the back ground of the Bond Bug photo, some very nice looking Rollers in there too.

I can't imagine that Scout would have cought on ... remings me of the Skoda FUN
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart » 19 Dec 2011, 23:59

It looks like some of the Korean manufacturers bought the pressings off Chinese Rover and are making the Scout again!
0x
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 20 Dec 2011, 08:15

That Scout looks good 8-) Definite shades of R4 about it when looked at from the 3/4 rear view...

I see a bit of Matra Rancho there too...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart » 20 Dec 2011, 10:03

CitroJim wrote:That Scout looks good 8-) Definite shades of R4 about it when looked at from the 3/4 rear view...

I see a bit of Matra Rancho there too...

Ohhh yes!!! The Rover would rust as much as the Rancho!
0x
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 30 Dec 2011, 21:51

A lot has been happening just recently. This Christmas has been an absolute spannerfest :-D :-D :-D :-D Breaking a Turbo CT in Nottingham with Chris570 and then getting to grips with Tim's poorly Xantia with DickieG and today some good work on Xac's Cassy..

Excellent :-D Who could wish for more? I wanted a spanner filled Christmas and by golly I got one :-D

Somewhere in between that lot we found time to do Rattiva's heater...

I even took my Activa for a blast today. Heavenly :-D :-D I do love that car... It was not without just a bit of bother though. Having stood unused for three week it was a bit reluctant to wake up - a very slow starter initially with very dim lights that suddenly improved. The problem was a high resistance on the battery earth clamp. A recrimp on the terminal with a hefty pair of pliers soon sorted that.

Today I have driven all my cars. I took the V6 shopping this evening and filled it with petrol ready for a trip to Somerset tomorrow. Gosh it's a lovely car and such a change, as is the Activa, after tooling around in Rattiva. Activas and V6s should only be driven for pleasure and then you really appreciate them...
0x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 30 Dec 2011, 21:57

CitroJim wrote:Activas and V6s should only be driven for pleasure and then you really appreciate them...

It certainly does make you appreciate a car when you don't use it often, then when you do you are remembered why you like it all over again.

I had a few of ours out for a drive the other day, I really enjoyed myself :lol: My Activa has been sat for four weeks now, so that could do with a bit of a run around. Though im reluctant to take any of them out if the roads are even a little salty.
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 Jan 2012, 20:11

Robyn returns to Uni in Aberwytwyth tomorrow and is taking her Pug 206 back with her. I'm going with her as it's her first really long trip and I'll be returning home via train.

We're going via Bangor as we're also taking Greg, Robyn's intended, who's at Uni in Bangor. There I'll bid a fond farewell to Robyn and Greg and meet up with Paul (Citroenxm) for the rest of the day and then see if I really have a first class train ride home for £35 as my advance booking with the TrainLine promises...

Today we've been giving Robyn's 206 a good once-over and a service. The 206 was a bit difficult to MOT last time due to high emissions that was not really nailed by replacing the cat. Following an earlier PP2000 diagnostic I saw the oxygen sensor signal was static so ordered in a new one. I fitted it during the service and after a good warming run I was pleased to see PP2000 now shows a nicely cyclic signal :-D Robyn has always said the car was a bit thirsty so hopefully it'll now be a bit more frugal for her.

Following the service, entirely at her own bidding, Robyn transformed the interior of the car from KFC skip to palace and then washed it :-D :-D It was like watching a concours preparation as Robyn kept on at it with the chamois and various potions and even got some moss off around the sunroof surround. I must admit the Pug has scrubbed up very well... I think she was very proud of her work!

I took it for a test drive along my familiar test run and was staggered to discover bumps in the road I didn't even know existed :twisted: It's been a long time since I've driven a tin-sprung car and it was not a good experience :(

Xac called around to see us :-D I'm sure he'll tell of his work today in another part of the forum :wink:
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Jan 2012, 16:39

Excellent day yesterday :-D We set off in Robyn's 206 with her, her intended and I along with all their luggage destined for Bangor. The little 206 gamely got us there with no fuss at all. Robyn drive most of the way and I was able to enjoy the stunning scenery along the North Wales coast. Shame some is lost as the A55 goes through a series of tunnels but never mind. I really enjoyed the tunnels too...

Robyn's driving was absolutely excellent :-D

Once Robyn and Greg were happy and settled I met up with Paul (Citroenxm) and enjoyed a most delightful afternoon :-D Paul took me across the Menai Suspension bridge a couple of times and then a tour of Anglesey :-D A stunningly beautiful place indeed :-D Paul then took me to the location where he does his car work and has his collection of cars and spares stashed away. Very good indeed. I envy you Paul, having a place like that.

Then it was home courtesy of Arriva Trains Wales and Virgin Trains. I have to complement both companies for providing me a good comfy ride home in clean trains that were bang on time. The only downside was a lack of first class accommodation on the Arriva train between Bangor and Crewe but it wasn't very crowded so no worries. I was glad I went Virgin first though. There were only two other passengers in my coach and yet standard class was bursting at the seams...

I was disappointed the train ride between Bangor and the Welsh border was in darkness. I bet the views from the train are absolutely staggering.

I'm going back in the Spring for a few days to see the place properly...

Again, big thanks to Paul for your excellent hospitality; it was very much appreciated, you make a great cup of tea!!!

Today Robyn will be driving herself from Bangor to Aberyswyth.
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 09 Jan 2012, 17:49

Virgin trains seem to be 1/3 first class, I'm sure the one back from Euston has at lease 4 first class carriages with not even enough ticket holders to fill just one, while everyone else is crammed dangerously in the remainder.
They even stand at the doors of the first class carriages like bouncers so you can't even spread out into those spaces, supposedly for health and safety, but in 2nd class that apparently isn't an issue.
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Jan 2012, 18:55

I've wondered for years why there always seemed to be far too much First Class and never enough Standard forstly on the old BR InterCity and now on Virgin. I guess all the other TOCs are the same... And why has Arrive Trains Wales have no First Class at all? Taffys not good enough for it?

I don't understand why when First is near empty and Standard is chokkers they don't upgrade certain souls and allow them to sit in First, albeit without the freebie coffee, snacks and Wi-Fi perhaps?

All the TOCs need to rethink this or maybe there is a reason. Steve (Trainman)?

Oh, and should have said. It was lovely to ride in Paul's Xantia after the journey in a 206 - heavenly :)
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Jan 2012, 19:31

I can stop chewing the parental fingernails off now :) Robyn's just called me to let me know she's got to Aberyswyth safely after an enjoyable but long solo drive.

She may be 19, a good and sensible driver but she's still my little girl and I like to know she's OK. I guess it's called being a dad :roll: :)
0x
Jim