Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

citroenxm

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Tales

Post by citroenxm » 10 Dec 2011, 19:55

NLA is not an issue with mercedes! You can goto a stealer and get a part for a 60s fintail merc still.. But no doubt at a price...

C5s may be more of a "scrap it" rather then repair car which with high prices is bad.. Locally a customer of mine knew a bloke with a c5 hdi... However he killed the engine with an un attended oil leak.... Rather then offer the car to my customer for a host of spares he weighed the whole lot in... DISGUSTING! We would of happily matched the scrap price!

Paul

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2011, 19:50

Today has been rather fantastic :-D Xac and Danielle treated me to a day of Falconry at the Birds of prey Centre and it was absolutely magic :-D :-D :-D

I've always been rather fascinated by raptors and this was the first time in my life I'd ever been up close to them, really close to the point they were perched on our arms...

Xac has some great photos..

The day included a Hawk Walk with a Harris' Hawk, Owls - never knew Owls were birds of prey and could be trained, Eagles, Falcons and a very friendly and affectionate Andean Condor in the company of a very friendly and infectiously enthusiastic guide who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the subject. He kept on apologising for being a chatterbox :lol:

The weather ranged from blizzard to bright sunshine but that did not matter one bit; it was a bloody fantastic day :-D

Thanks so much Andy and Danielle :-D A day to remember for life!

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v » 18 Dec 2011, 20:16

Sounds like you had an enjoyable day Jim , the birds of prey are awesome

Mark

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 18 Dec 2011, 20:58

CitroJim wrote:Thanks Dean :-D Just got to be careful not to go back to working too hard now I'm better :lol: :lol:

It's worrying the prospect of C5 spares beginning to go NFP. They still seem like new cars to me...

It's a real shame Citroën aren't like BMW and value their heritage. I believe anything is available for any old Beemer, albeit at a price.

It really is a shame, Citroen have a huge and very full history which they should be proud of and value. They don't seem to, if anything they seem to be trying to distance themselves from their history, only one car is now made with hydropneumatic suspension and only on the rage topping Exclusive (and auto models). Not only the suspension, but they have so many other ideas which make them a very interesting company for me.

Not to mention Citroens inability to market properly, where in any C6 or C5 etc blurb does it state the beefits of its suspension? Its always been the way.

Yes, some C5 bits are nt available now, however Ive not had any problems getting service bits, neither have I heard of anyone else having problems getting C5 parts. The things which are not available are accessories, or some anyway. I was unable to get rear mudflaps for my C5I three years ago. Im still trying to get a boot liner for my C5II, the dealer has been told they were not available and then they are but ive never seen one yet. Might try again tomorrow to order one actually.

Its a real shame, they dont value the previous cars. Mind, it would seem that a lot of people want a new car every few years, makers are obviously keen to push this.

Another thing, people in Citroen dealer seem to have no clue about previous cars, even models slightly older like the Xantia and BX has some of them bewildered. One parts guy at a local dealer has no clue how an Activa differs from a normal Xantia. They have probably never even seen a DS or 2cv.

When we went to collect our new C1 last year, we went in the Traction, the people from the dealership all came out and had a look but very few had even seen one before, let alone knew what it was. Ask them about how much a C3 with AC would be on a 'solutions' deal and they have the answer in a second. Its all sell sell sell new cars.

Me and Steve were talking at the weekend about Citroen parts prices, Im sure they just stick on almost infinity amounts on some parts to get you thinking is the car really worth spending the money on or shall we just stick it in for a brand new model. Drives me crazy!

Sounds like an excellent day Jim :-D Indeed, birds of pray are awesome!

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 18 Dec 2011, 21:14

It was an amazing day!
We really got to "play" with the birds a heck of a lot more than we expected.
Danielle now wants a PereSaker :)
If only we had the space!
I'm uploading the photos and videos here
So far 3 videos have completed, I've got 3.5 to go and then the photos.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2011, 22:15

Xac wrote:
Danielle now wants a PereSaker :)

A good choice Danielle 8-)

A PereSaker is a cross between a Saker and Peregrine Falcon, combining the best of both - the speed of a Saker with the stoop (dive) ability of the Peregrine... Very beautiful birds...

You see, we learned a lot from our guide :-D

This has to be my favourite, a Harris Hawk

But for sheer gorgeousness, the Barn Owl has it in spades...

Star of the show, a Blue Eagle called Levi...

This is not the actual Levi but a bird very much like him...

(all pictures courtesy Wikipedia)

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 18 Dec 2011, 22:39

The only thing that lets the barn owl down is what gave it its pre-barn name: the screech owl!

Here's Jim with Knoxville the Harris Hawk

And Danielle with Jet the Peresaker she fell in love with

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG » 18 Dec 2011, 22:50

Looking at the weather you had today where were you, Norway?

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 18 Dec 2011, 23:28

DickieG wrote:Looking at the weather you had today where were you, Norway?

Biggleswade. Strangely enough, about 5 miles from Ireland...

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG » 19 Dec 2011, 15:59

Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote:Looking at the weather you had today where were you, Norway?

Biggleswade. Strangely enough, about 5 miles from Ireland...

I spent a lot of time around that area doing driver training and used to use the Shuttleworth collection as a tea stop, fantastic historic aircraft there, I take it that was where the Raptor centre was, not a hint of snow around my way this winter.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Dec 2011, 16:15

DickieG wrote: I take it that was where the Raptor centre was, not a hint of snow around my way this winter.

It is exactly and yes, a lovely little tea room Richard :-D Lovely village too...

I'll be going back to look at the Shuttleworth collection when the weather is a little better, it's whetted my appetite... Actually a good spot i reckon for an informal FCF meet at some point too...

And I'll be going back to see the Raptors :-D

No snow today, just rain and lots of it - delaying my getting started on Rattiva's heater :evil:

Citroening

Post by Citroening » 19 Dec 2011, 17:51

Looks like a very nice day Jim! 8-) Strangely enough, we were just a few miles down the road at Stondon Motor Museum - amazing they closed for winter on the 18th (so good timing for my birthday!) A very interesting array of cars (over 400) and in conditions that I prefer to see cars in - not mint/concourse, but ones with some nice patina to them. Well worth a visit, and we plan (as part of the East Mids Group of the CCC) to have a day there. There's a couple of Cit's there too - two SMs, two CXs and a DS Decap.

The shuttleworth collection is definitely a nice place to visit. 8-)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Dec 2011, 18:00

Stondon looks a very interesting place to visit Franklin :-D Do you know yet when the EMG of the CCC plans to meet there?

That decap looks to be a fake...

Citroening

Post by Citroening » 19 Dec 2011, 18:26

It's provisionally looking like the 25th of March - dad and I went over to see Alan today to sort out the calender for next year's EMG event's - it's looking good! 8-) I believe that dad'll be dropping you an email soon about some futher details about the CX Rally...

Yep, with paintwork as jammy as you like too. :x

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 19 Dec 2011, 19:47

Citroening wrote:Looks like a very nice day Jim! 8-) Strangely enough, we were just a few miles down the road at Stondon Motor Museum - ... There's a couple of Cit's there too - two SMs, two CXs and a DS Decap.

That looks a good place to visit, even with the slightly iffy looking 'D'. Ill try to make a CCC event to there if one goes ahead. :)

About time we had a FCF meeting somewhere, CCC ones are too few and far between.