Been a good spannering day today
First off I replaced the HP pump on Old V6 and then found I really didn't need to
The leak finally revealed itself as a tiny split in the rubber stub pipe on the feed/suction pipe which grew until LHM flooded out all over the nice, shiny new pump.
I had my suspicions it was the stub pipe but the crack was initially so tiny and under the Jubilee clip that it was impossible to see.
Initially I was a bit niggled I'd wasted an hour swapping a perfectly good pump and having spent a lot of money having my spare refurbished unnecessarily but once I fired up, I found I hadn't. the 'new' pump is a lot quieter and it gets pressure up a lot faster. Also, to measure the tick rate I had to dig out my radio-carbon dating equipment...
Swapping a pump on a V6 is no trivial matter. the ECU box has to come out and then, because of access, a lot of it is done by feel and blind faith. Mind you, after the Activa exhaust manifold I'm sort of used to doing things in very confined spaces now.
Next week I'm going to decorate my hallway and do the entire job through the letterbox...
After Old V6 was sorted I resumed work on Juliet. I'm delighted to say she's now all done bar needing filling with coolant, having a new battery and the CV boot. Xac brought me a boot today but sadly it was the for the wrong side. The driveshaft diameters are very different on each side.
Juliet's cambelt tensioner was well past its sell-by date. It was both very sloppy and rumbly... We now know why the cambelt was so floppy
I nearly had a disaster though. On disassembly we found the auxiliary belt tensioner was a bit stiff and this made the belt very hard to remove. For reassembly I 'worked' it a bit with a small breaker bar in the square hole and it came good
I then went to do it one more time to fit the belt and crunch! Ping! a bit of the casting around the square hole broke off and flew across the driveway
This sort of made the square unavailable and basically it seemed impossible now to set the tensioner so the belt could be fitted. Those tensioners have a hell of a spring to them and it seemed that whilst the tensioner itself was perfectly good, there was no way of setting it so as the belt could be fitted.
I tried a few ideas, all of which failed
And then hit upon an idea after noticing the threaded hole where the jockey wheel screws in was about 3mm deep. Also, by the broken square was a smaller hole for pinning the tensioner in its released position. I made up a pin bar that would place a pin in each of these holes and I'm delighted to say it worked a treat
In fact a heck of a lot better than using a bar in the original square hole. So, a potential showstopper turned out to be an opportunity to find a much better way of doing the job...
Here's a shot of the pin bar in place on the tensioner. It really makes light work of the job
Xantia V6 called over this afternoon in his E-Type to replace his driveshaft UJs. His car outside my house attracted a fair bit of interest and it was good hear a couple of young lads saying "Hey look, there's an E-Type!!!"
Others said "Thats a funny Citroen!" or words generally to that effect...