Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 10 Jun 2011, 18:18

red_dwarfers wrote:
Xac wrote:I'm looking at alternatives to selling Juliet, I know I shouldn't but it's hard to let her go even if she is a MK2.
Maybe an LPG conversion, or a rent-a-garage for a while...

Thats more like it Xac, just think of the ICCCCCCR next year. You'll want an Activa for that.

I'd need a mortgage for the fuel bill!
Plus I have roof bars for Cassy but not Juliet or Jenny, and we'll need an empty boot for the dog :)

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 10 Jun 2011, 18:40

Xac wrote:
red_dwarfers wrote:
Xac wrote:I'm looking at alternatives to selling Juliet, I know I shouldn't but it's hard to let her go even if she is a MK2.
Maybe an LPG conversion, or a rent-a-garage for a while...

Thats more like it Xac, just think of the ICCCCCCR next year. You'll want an Activa for that.

I'd need a mortgage for the fuel bill!
Plus I have roof bars for Cassy but not Juliet or Jenny, and we'll need an empty boot for the dog :)

Ah, its not all that far from you, im sure if you have a fuel tanker in tow you might manage on one tank full :roll:

Im driving my Activa to Milton Keynes tomorrow, Im further North than the Harrogate show ground ...

I say keep the Activa, they are not worth anything to sell on anyway.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Jun 2011, 21:47

Been a good spannering day today :D

First off I replaced the HP pump on Old V6 and then found I really didn't need to :twisted: The leak finally revealed itself as a tiny split in the rubber stub pipe on the feed/suction pipe which grew until LHM flooded out all over the nice, shiny new pump.

I had my suspicions it was the stub pipe but the crack was initially so tiny and under the Jubilee clip that it was impossible to see.

Initially I was a bit niggled I'd wasted an hour swapping a perfectly good pump and having spent a lot of money having my spare refurbished unnecessarily but once I fired up, I found I hadn't. the 'new' pump is a lot quieter and it gets pressure up a lot faster. Also, to measure the tick rate I had to dig out my radio-carbon dating equipment...

Swapping a pump on a V6 is no trivial matter. the ECU box has to come out and then, because of access, a lot of it is done by feel and blind faith. Mind you, after the Activa exhaust manifold I'm sort of used to doing things in very confined spaces now.

Next week I'm going to decorate my hallway and do the entire job through the letterbox...

After Old V6 was sorted I resumed work on Juliet. I'm delighted to say she's now all done bar needing filling with coolant, having a new battery and the CV boot. Xac brought me a boot today but sadly it was the for the wrong side. The driveshaft diameters are very different on each side.

Juliet's cambelt tensioner was well past its sell-by date. It was both very sloppy and rumbly... We now know why the cambelt was so floppy :twisted:

I nearly had a disaster though. On disassembly we found the auxiliary belt tensioner was a bit stiff and this made the belt very hard to remove. For reassembly I 'worked' it a bit with a small breaker bar in the square hole and it came good :D I then went to do it one more time to fit the belt and crunch! Ping! a bit of the casting around the square hole broke off and flew across the driveway :evil: This sort of made the square unavailable and basically it seemed impossible now to set the tensioner so the belt could be fitted. Those tensioners have a hell of a spring to them and it seemed that whilst the tensioner itself was perfectly good, there was no way of setting it so as the belt could be fitted.

I tried a few ideas, all of which failed :( And then hit upon an idea after noticing the threaded hole where the jockey wheel screws in was about 3mm deep. Also, by the broken square was a smaller hole for pinning the tensioner in its released position. I made up a pin bar that would place a pin in each of these holes and I'm delighted to say it worked a treat :D :D In fact a heck of a lot better than using a bar in the original square hole. So, a potential showstopper turned out to be an opportunity to find a much better way of doing the job...

Here's a shot of the pin bar in place on the tensioner. It really makes light work of the job :D

Xantia V6 called over this afternoon in his E-Type to replace his driveshaft UJs. His car outside my house attracted a fair bit of interest and it was good hear a couple of young lads saying "Hey look, there's an E-Type!!!"

Others said "Thats a funny Citroen!" or words generally to that effect...

robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart » 10 Jun 2011, 21:57

Next week I'm going to decorate my hallway and do the entire job through the letterbox...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I came across the same problem as your tensioner in a 2.0 16V XM, Fortunately on the Xm there is a small bar linking the subframe to the shell, so I could lever a crowbar against it to push the tensioner back, but I like your solution, I'll store that in the memory bank.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Jun 2011, 20:48

I'm happy to report Juliet is back in full running order and in quiet running order at that :D

I filled her with coolant, borrowed the battery from my Activa and went for it.

All as well, the new gasket and exhaust manifold smoked a bit, burning off all the Plus Gas and burning in the new gasket but no leaks of any sort.

The suspension is 1000% better. No dancing and no slow oscillations and height changes.

Just one small problem remains. The front electrovalve is a bit 'sticky' and sometimes he's a bit reluctant to switch to soft mode.

I gave her a quick MOT this evening and apart from the need of a driveshaft boot she's ready to meet the man from the ministry...

I'm wondering if the electrovalve may settle but if not I'll have it in bits and give the springs a bit of a tug...

We're nearly there :D

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 14 Jun 2011, 21:03

Not bad going Jim, you've put some serious work into that! I really do respect you!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Jun 2011, 21:11

Thanks Kev :D Don't tell anyone but I've rather enjoyed it...

I did have one heartstopper though :roll: The Power Steering was all over the place at first, the wheel was hard to turn and all notchy. Worrying as the car has a newly reconditioned pump on it...

Luckily, it was a very simple problem and entirely my fault. I looked in the LHM reservoir and it was full of froth. I had a leak on the suction pipe to the pump.

I'd forgotten to tighten the jubilee clip on the LHM reservoir end of the pipe and it was drawing lots of air :roll: :roll: :oops:

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers » 14 Jun 2011, 22:03

CitroJim wrote:I'd forgotten to tighten the jubilee clip on the LHM reservoir end of the pipe and it was drawing lots of air :roll: :roll: :oops:

I've done that, though not before driving a good few hundred miles thinking that it was just the really cold weather taking its toll. :oops:
To be fair though, it wasn't exhibiting the classic notchy symptoms, just a bit stiff (really small bubbles maybe?!)

Chris570

Post by Chris570 » 15 Jun 2011, 07:35

CitroJim wrote:Thanks Kev :D Don't tell anyone but I've rather enjoyed it...

I did have one heartstopper though :roll: The Power Steering was all over the place at first, the wheel was hard to turn and all notchy. Worrying as the car has a newly reconditioned pump on it...

Luckily, it was a very simple problem and entirely my fault. I looked in the LHM reservoir and it was full of froth. I had a leak on the suction pipe to the pump.

I'd forgotten to tighten the jubilee clip on the LHM reservoir end of the pipe and it was drawing lots of air :roll: :roll: :oops:

you were just testing to see if LHM and air would do the same job, they don't. You've learnt that now, but it was worth a go :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Jun 2011, 22:26

Been a good day today, despite the monsoonal weather..

Xac called round last evening with a split CV boot kit for Juliet. We looked at it and it seemed good, it's the type of CV boot that purposely split for ease of fitment. Once fitted it's superglued together. Basically with these there's no need to dismantle the joint or remove the driveshaft.

It all seemed good in theory. I'm sure that in practice these kits would be wonderful but alas on an Activa LH driveshaft inboard joint it's a bit of a different story. Until today I never realised just how inaccessible the LH driveshaft is. It is really hemmed in by the Activa ram and it's associated pipework :evil:

I tried though and almost managed to get it to work but in reality the job did not turn out good at all. I then looked at it and thought the MOT man is going to take one look at it and think it a bodge. I reckon these split boots might work fine with the driveshaft removed but that defeats the object of them a bit. Maybe on a different car with more access to the driveshafts it might be OK.

Rather than risk a fail on this, I swapped driveshafts for a spare one. Job done but then there was the question of topping up the gearbox oil. I measure the amount that had spilled from removing the driveshaft and refilled an equivalent amount through the reversing light switch hole. That's not wonderfully accessible either but better than the alternative...

That's the recurrent theme with an Activa - access, access and access or rather, the lack of it :evil:

Then I remembered I'd not refitted the spare wheel carrier. That done, out came the ELIT to diagnose the airbag light. That was easy, just a reseat of the airbag collector under the driver's seat :D

Xac then took Juliet off for her MOT. I'm delighted to say she passed with flying colours except for an advisory on thinness of brake pads and the handbrake lever being near the limit of travel. The handbrake itself was good - as I found out earlier on when I managed to undo a very FT hub nut against it when swapping drivehsafts.

More good news: Robyn is coming to Somerest with me tomorrow. We're going in New V6 to see Mum and Dad and also to call in on Toby_HDi on FCF Courier duty...

On departing the Wetherby rally the other week, Rhothgar let me know one brake light was out on New V6. I've only just go round to replacing it this evening :oops: :oops:

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi » 18 Jun 2011, 22:48

Excellent Jim, good stuff. 100 pages! :lol:

I can certainly sympathise with your comment on Activa access. Never thought I'd say it but V6 access is lovely by comparision.

Sounds like you could have done with my torque wrench for the hub nut again! :twisted:

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Jun 2011, 13:47

I had to stand on the breaker bar Toby so yes, yours would have been very handy!!!

Toby_HDi wrote:Never thought I'd say it but V6 access is lovely by comparision.

I'd say positively spacious :D

vince

Post by vince » 19 Jun 2011, 16:08

Hi Jim,

The quality of scretch boots seem superior to the split ones... :wink:

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 19 Jun 2011, 17:01

vince wrote:Hi Jim,

The quality of scretch boots seem superior to the split ones... :wink:

The problem was GSF/ECP don't do the boot we needed, and the local dealer quoted over £50

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Jun 2011, 19:19

I'll be after a good stretch boot for the driveshaft. I have my trusty boot cone to fit it. So Vince, do GSF stock suitable ones then?

Trouble is, with the wonderful GSF login system it's now hard to quickly check :twisted:

A great day today :D Robyn and I set off at 06:30 and did the M1/M25/M3/M27/A31 run down to Ringwood to see Toby and then left Ringwood and followed as far as Wincanton the route of the former Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway before joining the A303 and heading for Dad's.

On the way back we took the scenic route along the A37 and A361 and were amazed at the amount of traffic around Pilton, mainly RVs and catering wagons, going into the Glastonbury site to set up essential services ready for the mudbath that usually characterises the Glastonbury Music Festival this coming weekend :lol:

The rest of the journey was most pleasant and having Robyn for company was great :D new V6 performed faultlessly and is a wonderful car for that trip. I've arrived home very fresh and not tired.

Much of our conversation was about Robyn beginning Uni at Aberystwyth. She's looking very much forward to the adventure and I can see New V6 coming in very handy for that trip too... Firstly though, and soon, we're going to take the train there for a day out just to see how practical and reasonable it is for Robyn to do the journey by rail as it is very unlikely she'll be able to keep and run her 206 whilst at Uni...

It's been a good weekend :D :D :D