red_dwarfers wrote:Another thing that would be interesting is if it where possible for inanimate objects to talk on some occasions.
It would They could tell of all the previous bodges they've suffered at the hands of the less well skilled
But could you imagine what it would be like when doing work though...
"Ouch, that hurt!" or "Mind where you're putting that spanner old boy!!!"
"Umm, that's better.." or "I so love it when you caress me like that.."
Another good day on the Xacmobile The front ram is refitted, I made up a bush for the rear ram and fitted it. Odd for me to do that as I normally just make them and then post them. I rarely actually get to fit one.
Finally, I got the degreaser out and cleaned off a load of muck around the engine, especially where the pump had been leaking. All the ancillary components removed to do the main jobs have been cleaned too. I hate working on mucky engines and that one was just a tad on the mucky side...
I bought a 5L can of Brake Cleaner from our local factors. It works out a lot cheaper than buying aerosols of the stuff and it seems to do a good job without upsetting me as white spirit does.
I'm treating old V6 to a pair of new front tyres tomorrow, along with a wheel alignment as one tyre was showing signs of uneven wear. Knowing the offside trackrod end was a bit corroded to the track rod when I did the steering rack gaiter last year, I set about freeing off the nearside one. It was jolly tight and well set in place but the trusty old Plus Gas and my giant adjustables did the trick. I really didn't want the tyre place struggling with it and possibly butchering things down there. Also, maybe if they found a very tight trackrod end it may hamper them in doing a good alignment job. Now they have two very freely adjustable ones to work with.
Then Pleiades called to say the HP pumps and regulator were ready for collection. Cue a quick trip over to Sawtry and back to pick them up. Xac's pump was badly in need of a refurbish and his regulator was low on pressure. Here's hoping that'll cure Juliet's odd suspension behaviour.
Xac called in with a waterpump and timing belt kit so tomorrow my work is planned. Refit the pump and regulator and change the cambelt. We were amazed at how loose the old cambelt is and how it had not leapt off the sprockets...
If time (and weather) permits I'll round off the day by fitting the newly refurbished pump to Old V6.
Then, on Juliet it should just be the CV boot to do and then, mechanically at least, she should be good to go...