Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 08 Jun 2011, 22:20

red_dwarfers wrote:Another thing that would be interesting is if it where possible for inanimate objects to talk on some occasions.

It would :D They could tell of all the previous bodges they've suffered at the hands of the less well skilled :lol:

But could you imagine what it would be like when doing work though...

"Ouch, that hurt!" or "Mind where you're putting that spanner old boy!!!"

Or

"Umm, that's better.." or "I so love it when you caress me like that.."

Another good day on the Xacmobile :D The front ram is refitted, I made up a bush for the rear ram and fitted it. Odd for me to do that as I normally just make them and then post them. I rarely actually get to fit one.

Finally, I got the degreaser out and cleaned off a load of muck around the engine, especially where the pump had been leaking. All the ancillary components removed to do the main jobs have been cleaned too. I hate working on mucky engines and that one was just a tad on the mucky side...

I bought a 5L can of Brake Cleaner from our local factors. It works out a lot cheaper than buying aerosols of the stuff and it seems to do a good job without upsetting me as white spirit does.

I'm treating old V6 to a pair of new front tyres tomorrow, along with a wheel alignment as one tyre was showing signs of uneven wear. Knowing the offside trackrod end was a bit corroded to the track rod when I did the steering rack gaiter last year, I set about freeing off the nearside one. It was jolly tight and well set in place but the trusty old Plus Gas and my giant adjustables did the trick. I really didn't want the tyre place struggling with it and possibly butchering things down there. Also, maybe if they found a very tight trackrod end it may hamper them in doing a good alignment job. Now they have two very freely adjustable ones to work with.

Then Pleiades called to say the HP pumps and regulator were ready for collection. Cue a quick trip over to Sawtry and back to pick them up. Xac's pump was badly in need of a refurbish and his regulator was low on pressure. Here's hoping that'll cure Juliet's odd suspension behaviour.

Xac called in with a waterpump and timing belt kit so tomorrow my work is planned. Refit the pump and regulator and change the cambelt. We were amazed at how loose the old cambelt is and how it had not leapt off the sprockets...

If time (and weather) permits I'll round off the day by fitting the newly refurbished pump to Old V6.

Then, on Juliet it should just be the CV boot to do and then, mechanically at least, she should be good to go...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 09 Jun 2011, 06:55

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Gareth did the manifold gasket on what is now my Activa with the engine in situ.

Silly me :oops: I kept thinking Gareth did the job on my old Activa when he swapped Turbos.. he did take the engine out for that but more because the clutch was weak...

It completely slipped my mind that he did the job on yours :roll: I've dug out his thread on it and I can see the extent of the job now and how he did it :D That thread is absolute gold dust...

Chris570 popped over this morning and between us we removed the regulator and HP pump. I'm going to take them to Pleiades for checking and then see if that cracks the hydraulic problems. If it doesn't then goodness knows!!

Sadly, rain stopped play. It'll be good for the garden though...

Glad my thread came in useful, its what forums like this are all about!

TBH thats why i still come and visit here, because of all the decent free advice you get from proper people, this forum is very unique in this way, unlike the ST Drivers forum, who glean what info they can from you and never say thanks, talk about how great their cars are when in really this is far from the truth.

The only problem with this forum is how tempting it is to get another Activa...It would have to be a green or grey S2..
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 09 Jun 2011, 07:36

How about a silver Mk2 that's recently had it's cambelt changed and exhaust manifold gasket replaced? :D
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 09 Jun 2011, 08:06

Seems like you have certainly had a very busy week away from work Jim :lol:

This really is the best forum I have ever been a member of, how could you possibly stay away Gareth? :roll:

Xac, After your Xant has spent a week in Jims hands, id guess you would want to be holding onto that!
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 09 Jun 2011, 09:17

XantiaMan wrote:Glad my thread came in useful, its what forums like this are all about!

Without your guide Gareth, it would have been a whole different ballgame and I'd have declared the job impossible and lifted the engine. So a huge debt of gratitude is due :D

The great thing on this forum is that the jobs described have actually been done by the person and not pretended to do that job or wildly speculate at how the job might be done. I've seen the latter two in many forums and it's frustrating in the least. That's the great thing about the FCF, it's full of real people who do real jobs on cars and has a total absence of dreamers and wannabe mechanics :D

It's been a very busy week Chris, but very enjoyable too :D It's always a great feeling to see a sick car getting better. makes me realise just how much I really dislike my day job :twisted: But, having said that I don't reckon I have the stamina left now to spanner week in, week out and I guess if I did it would cease to be the pleasure it is.

Thanks for the complements on the forum Chris :D It makes we admins very happy indeed!

Old V6 is currently having new tyres and I'm off out to wield some more spanners over Juliet despite the weather looking a bit dodgy :(
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 09 Jun 2011, 09:36

Citroenmad wrote:Xac, After your Xant has spent a week in Jims hands, id guess you would want to be holding onto that!

That's the dilema, I can't afford to keep 3 Xantias, but need 2.
Cassy isn't going anywhere, and Jenny's suspension is wonderful, plus she's a veg burner too so with my milage it makes sense to keep her for when Cassy is unwell.
That means Juliet is the one to go, she's petrol, and while her fuel economy should improve with the work Jim's done, it's not going to match the most economical engine of the range.
Oh why couldn't Activa's be fitted with a 150HP veg burner?
0x

DIY sphere tool

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 09 Jun 2011, 09:38

Xac wrote:How about a silver Mk2 that's recently had it's cambelt changed and exhaust manifold gasket replaced? :D

Had silver, and already have a silver car, its too much! Defiantly fancy a green one though.
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Jun 2011, 09:40

XantiaMan wrote: Defiantly fancy a green one though.

I could soak it in LHM for you... :lol: :lol: :lol:
0x
Jim

Chris570

Post by Chris570 » 09 Jun 2011, 15:27

now i know i shouldnt be tempted but if xac you are serious about selling one day let me know as i could give it a good home :)

keep her if you can though
0x
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy

A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Jun 2011, 19:06

Chris570 wrote:now i know i shouldnt be tempted

Chris, it's the same with the V6 and Activa. Once bitten, forever smitten :wink:

Not quite so much progress today due to the girls spending most of the day with me but I did get a bit of spannering done on Juliet. Her new Pressure Regulator is fitted as is her pump. Most of her engine bay ancillaries are refitted but time did not allow the fitting of the new cambelt or the fitting of the replacement pump to Old V6.

I did get some new tyres on Old V6. Got a good deal with some Bridgestones. No idea what they're like performance-wise by they're round, black, hold air and have tread on them - they seem to fulfill the basic role of a tyre. F1 cars seem to do well with them so I guess a V6 will too.. I do remember Bridgestones from my 70s Jap motorcycling days when they seemed to be made of a slipperier version of PTFE - bloody lethal in the wet! I hope they've improved since then...

They did as they said and used stick-on weights and they didn't do the wheelnuts up too tightly either. They seem to have done a good job as the car is silky smooth all the way to 80 without a trace of wobble or shimmy and the steering wheel is in the middle when travelling straight ahead. They seem a good bunch, this particular tyre fitting outfit, and are just at the end of my road...

Tomorrow a bit more spannering on Juliet but I'm determined to fit the new pump to Old V6 before the weekend. It's unlikely Old V6 will be all clean and sparkly for DSM now unless a miracle happens...
0x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 09 Jun 2011, 20:14

Bridgestones are pretty decent tyres Jim, I suspect they are ER300s?

Certainly get a better road test of many premium tyres, definitely the Pirelli P6000 which often gets slated.

I usually stick with Michelins but whatever deal looks appealing at the time with a decent tyre will do me very nicely.

Gareth: fancying another Activa already? I guess there is no staying away :lol:
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Jun 2011, 20:20

Citroenmad wrote:Bridgestones are pretty decent tyres Jim, I suspect they are ER300s?

You suspect absolutely correctly Chris :D They are the ER300. Hope they last longer than the BFGs they've just replaced.

Apart from their disappointingly short life, I found the BFG an excellent tyre, especially in the snow... It was a tad noisy though.

Hopefully the bridgestones will be a tad quieter too
0x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 09 Jun 2011, 20:27

Ah, the big friendly giant tyres, not used them myself! BF Goodrich are usually pretty decent, though only 12K miles from yours? Thats heavy wear.

I usually find Bridgestones noisy, but Ive not used the ER300, these were the previous model.
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 10 Jun 2011, 00:01

Jim, leave Juliet for a bit and concentrate on your V6 :)

I'm looking at alternatives to selling Juliet, I know I shouldn't but it's hard to let her go even if she is a MK2.
Maybe an LPG conversion, or a rent-a-garage for a while...
0x

DIY sphere tool

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 10 Jun 2011, 12:28

Xac wrote:I'm looking at alternatives to selling Juliet, I know I shouldn't but it's hard to let her go even if she is a MK2.
Maybe an LPG conversion, or a rent-a-garage for a while...

Thats more like it Xac, just think of the ICCCCCCR next year. You'll want an Activa for that.

Citroenmad wrote:Ah, the big friendly giant tyres

Or if you played one of the Doom games in the 90s then BFG stands for something else :lol:
0x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member