Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DHallworth
Donor 2016
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth » 23 May 2011, 18:30

Great news on the MOT Jim!

My fiance drives very gently and is currently on 15k miles on her Michelins. They're only 50% worn too!

Am quite happy if she can make a set of fronts last for 25 - 30k miles on her Xantia HDi Exclusive.

When I drive it I feel guilty as the torque off the 110 is quite adictive!!

David.
0x
'88 CX GTi Turbo 2 :-D
'91 XM V6 24v Manual
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'10 407 Coupé 3.0 HDi

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 23 May 2011, 20:45

CitroJim wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Lol.. thanks Jim... an edit added... :? :shock:

Ahh! Thanks for that Paul :D :lol: 20K on an HDi is not bad at all. Ive just realised that my tyre consumption is nearly in Xac territory :lol: :lol: :lol:

P7's seem to last me quite nicely :D
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 24 May 2011, 21:27

Congratulations on the MOT Jim, mind did you really think it would have failed, it is yours afterall :lol:

12K miles from a pair of front V6 tyres, I thought you would be a careful driver Jim :roll:

Seems about on par with my C5s mind, I can imagine the Activas like to eat tread far more though.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 May 2011, 06:26

Citroenmad wrote:12K miles from a pair of front V6 tyres, I thought you would be a careful driver Jim :roll:

That's just it, I am!!!

Activa tyres last considerably longer :D
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 29 May 2011, 08:31

A very interesting day yesterday :D

Xantia V6 was due to visit for a height corrector swap. At the appointed time I heard a nice low burbly V6 sort of sound approach my house and looked out at a big, bright red car in my drive. That's an odd colour for a Xantia. It was an odd Xantia too, one disguised as a V12 E-Type Jag :lol: :lol:

The E-Type had gathered an advisory on one of its rear wheel bearings and we took a look.

It was an education of many parts, from knocking off the wire wheels to seeing exactly how the jag IRS rear suspension was engineered. In the event, the wheel bearing was OK but there was still play. On the IRS the drive shaft forms the suspension top link and there appeared to be a lot of play in the outboard UJ. To check, it was necessary to free the driveshaft from the hub - the two are splined together in the conventional way.

"That's easy!" the owner said "One little tap after the hub nut is off and the spline will come apart..."

One little tap did nothing, bigger and bigger taps did nothing, mighty taps did the same as did a puller :twisted: The splines were well stuck together.

Finally we removed the hub and driveshaft complete so that we could apply the hydraulic press to the job. This we duly did and expected the splines to separate meekly and without fuss. One ton, 2, 3, 4, 5, pump, 8 tons, 9.... Not a peep. Finally at 10 tons the press red-lined with no movement from the shaft at all... The driveshaft was really well stuck in the hub.

After a few re-applications of 10 tons with no result, we then soaked the assembly in good old Plus-Gas, let it soak in and then tried the press again. 10 tons came up on the gauge and still no movement. Pressure released and reapplied and then BANG!!! it finally let go :D

And all because of a tiny bit of corrosion on the splines. A bit of a polish up with Scotchbrite saw them then sliding together and apart a treat.

The outboard UJ (A Hardy-Spicer joint) was found a bit worn and attempts were made to source a new one locally...

Shockingly, nobody around here stocks parts for '72 E-Types :twisted: Disgraceful.

So, all we could do was reassemble and order one in. Reassembly of a Jag IRS is fun. The lower hub pivot is critically shimmed to a very, very tight clearance and getting those shims back in is an art
:twisted: :D

Finally, we set up a dial gauge to measure the bearing play on both sides to check it was in limits.

Working on an E-Type was a very enjoyable diversion from the usual Citroen stuff :D :D :D

The E-Type is a gorgeous car and the V12 sounds heavenly :D

Today I'm off to chase down a very tiny LHM leak on Old V6...
0x
Jim

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 29 May 2011, 12:45

Well done Jim. Another Hardy Spicer(gkn) may have crossed over from Land Rover or the like. Trouble is that parts guys don't have time to rake through stock as they only deal in numbers. Rimmers would have that UJ?

I have seen 15 ton on a small crankshaft BSA big end..............nothing. :lol: Did the guy have 2 ES94 engines bolted in under the bonnet then?
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm » 29 May 2011, 12:51

Exellent Jim, the E-Type is a wonderful car, i was in convoy with a Aston martin DBS yesterday in the Activa and that sounded absolutly lovely.

D
0x
XM Prestige 92, surgery has begun, RIP faithfull 2.0i
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 29 May 2011, 15:19

lexi wrote:Another Hardy Spicer(gkn) may have crossed over from Land Rover or the like. Trouble is that parts guys don't have time to rake through stock as they only deal in numbers.

I phoned about 10 motor factors in the region, and 9 of them said they don't carry any UJs any more, and one was out of stock of that size.

The Jag half-shaft UJ is fairly beefy, they are used as driveshaft UJs on trucks, but could not find one yesterday.

lexi wrote: I have seen 15 ton on a small crankshaft BSA big end..............nothing. :lol:

The rear hub on the other side came apart with hand pressure (last time I had it apart).
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 May 2011, 20:12

lexi wrote: I have seen 15 ton on a small crankshaft BSA big end..............nothing. :lol:

No, 10 tons is a bit girly, I agree. It's just that I only have a girl's press and it maxes out at 10 tons...

Yesterday and today's adventures makes me think I really need a 20 ton one...

Toby_HDi came for a visit today to have new wheel bearings and swivel joints fitted to his 406 Coupe front hubs. They're all but identical to Xantia ones..

One set of bearings pressed out OK but on the other side a bit of rust had got to grips with them and we saw the press redlining at 10 tons again. Once again Plus Gas helped and finally the bearings gave up the struggle..

I normally hate swivel joints but today they were so easy. Toby brought with him a five foot long 400 ft lb 3/4 drive torque wrench. That and my old blacksmith's vice made very light work of them indeed!!! My 3 foot 1/2" breaker bar would not touch them. I have something to add to my shopping list now - a giant 3/4 drive breaker bar and some matching usefully sized sockets....

During the work, Trooper30 and Xac popped in to make it into an informal FCF mini-meet :D

After the hub fun, Toby and I had a look at his Activa. We found his suspension stuck firmly in hard mode and after seeing the ECU had recorded a permanent fault on the rear electrovalve, we found the electrovalve to be short-circuit. This is an unusual failure but I guess the internal diode which usually fails open-circuit decided to fail short-circuit just for a change.

We proved it was not the wiring at fault by disconnecting the electrovalve and what a hellish job this is on an Activa :twisted: The Activa balancing sphere has to be removed to offer any sort of access at all and in trying to disconnect the plug by feel alone (it's completely hidden) the plug retaining spring popped off. It appeared lost for ever but eventually was found wrapped around the ram pipes. A good hiding place as it looked as if it belonged there! The risk of trying to swap an electrovalve coil on Toby's only working car was a bit high so rather than try, Toby now has a spare, good coil to swap with the duff one when time and circumstances permit.

All in all, a very good day :D I must confess I'm a bit tired now and glad it's a bank holiday tomorrow...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 04 Jun 2011, 20:49

Firstly, many thanks to Xantia V6 for noting my continued frustration with my ongoing Vodafone 3G problems at my home and recommending I get a SureSignal box. I now have one and finally, after years of having no or little signal, I have a full 'five bars' all over the estate!!!

This little box of tricks is called a 'Femtocell' and it is a little base station in your home that connects back to the Vodaphone switching centre via a VPN over your broadband. It does everything a real phone mast does, only in miniature.

No more missed calls and texts and no more having to stand in one spot like a statue when a call comes in!

Xac's Juliet has come to stay with me for a while in order to have intensive corrective therapy for her problems. That's a blowing exhaust manifold gasket, strange suspension behavour and other small maladies.

Of the first, my jury is really still out on how wise or practical it is to do the job wit the engine in place. After really looking at the job today, I'm of a mind that it might be easier in the long-run to whip the engine out to do the job. All I know is that it's going to be an absolute horror of a job with the engine in place. Access is rubbish and next We'll see if the engine can be substantially tilted to improve access.

She has problems in her suspension department. She can't keep level or ant one height for long and goes into a very slow oscillation. Tghis is caused by her main system pressure falling so much when the Activa system operates that the anti-sink valves close. It makes her funny to drive too...

I initially thought it was a ram with an internal leak causing it but today, both rams have been checked and appear to be healthy. The pump and pressure regulator are now causing suspicion. The pump is a bit weepy and as my Old V6 also has a small pump weep too, I'm planning next week, whilst on leave, to take the whole lot to Pleiades and have them checked over and refurbished as necessary.

More new of Juliet as it happens....
0x
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 05 Jun 2011, 08:46

Jim have you thought about using your sphere pressure test gauge to test hydraulic pressures at various sections of the system on Xac's car? I used mine on my DS and it worked a treat.
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Jun 2011, 09:19

That's a jolly inspired idea Richard :D My tester gauge only reads to 100 bars and that won't be enough... I'll need to get a gauge that reads 200 bars at least.

I have enough bits of pipe and K junctions to do the job...

Excellent!!!
0x
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 05 Jun 2011, 10:19

CitroJim wrote:That's a jolly inspired idea Richard :D My tester gauge only reads to 100 bars and that won't be enough... I'll need to get a gauge that reads 200 bars at least.

I've got one you can borrow :D
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 05 Jun 2011, 20:48

That is some very odd behavior from Juliet, im sure you will son get it sorted out :)

Gareth did the manifold gasket on what is now my Activa with the engine in situ.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Jun 2011, 21:15

Citroenmad wrote:Gareth did the manifold gasket on what is now my Activa with the engine in situ.

Silly me :oops: I kept thinking Gareth did the job on my old Activa when he swapped Turbos.. he did take the engine out for that but more because the clutch was weak...

It completely slipped my mind that he did the job on yours :roll: I've dug out his thread on it and I can see the extent of the job now and how he did it :D That thread is absolute gold dust...

Chris570 popped over this morning and between us we removed the regulator and HP pump. I'm going to take them to Pleiades for checking and then see if that cracks the hydraulic problems. If it doesn't then goodness knows!!

Sadly, rain stopped play. It'll be good for the garden though...
0x
Jim