Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 25 Apr 2011, 08:00

citroenxm wrote:Makes me laugh.. With a fraud u dont know whos engine u got.. The galaxy v6 is vw engine. The probe v6 is mazdas engine. And yes the mundaenios v6 is yet another one from the usa....

At least with Citroën u know you have a 100% french car and not bits n bobs borrowed from all over the bloody place...

Paul

Nothing wrong with the practice of engine sharing, it saves money, i'm sure Ford are more profitable than PSA..

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm » 25 Apr 2011, 08:03

i only said it makes me laugh... but of course not... the engine is the most costly part to develop with these modern emmision rules.....so why do it if you can aviod it..

im sure ford is more profitable but then it is 3 times a bigger company..
Last edited by citroenxm on 25 Apr 2011, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Apr 2011, 08:04

XantiaMan wrote:its a Ford USA lump.

So it's made of all cast iron and has pushrod operated overhead valves then :wink: :lol:

Goes well, all things considered...

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan » 25 Apr 2011, 08:20

CitroJim wrote:
XantiaMan wrote:its a Ford USA lump.

So it's made of all cast iron and has pushrod operated overhead valves then :wink: :lol:

Goes well, all things considered...

Come on Jim :roll: Its an all aluminium 60° V6, still used today in the Jag XF.

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm » 25 Apr 2011, 08:26

Wow...a modern yank engine... I thought too they still used push rods in usa and hadnt moved to ohc.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 25 Apr 2011, 08:48

Certain states over there have far more stringent anti pol regs than we do, OBD1 and 2 came from america as did the twin cat/O2 idea of emmissions control self diagnostics, Rover V8 was..................unfortunatly :lol:

The thing that gets me about Ford was the whole Volvo incident where Fords euro chief openly rediculed Volvo for saying it was going to develope a whole new performance engine from the ground up in 3 years.....................which they did, which was miles better than anything Ford themselfs had developed to date, in nearer 2, and then ford pinched it to make the ST and RS tick :roll:
The car is 50% Engine, make your own! :twisted:

And that is why i would buy a T5 over a ST..................(Dean sulks off :lol: )

D

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 25 Apr 2011, 09:40

Volvo also said that they would never again be able to afford to develop a new engine and were right - unfortunately.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Apr 2011, 10:53

Terrible day on Monday :cry: Sid the Squid and his dad came to see me about swapping the EPIC pump on his dad's 2.1TD (my old estate). Diagnostics showed the pump was at fault with a problem of faulty timing due to the pump not being able to respond properly to ECU timing commands. Sid had located a replacement pump and we set about swapping it.

What a job! The EPIC lower flange nut is inaccessible by all normal standards and I hoped to gain access by removing the HP pump and alternator but although I could get the crescent spanner on the nut i could not swing it without hitting the pump cradle. I then though about removing the alternator and HP pump cradle casting but hit a snag in that the Allen bolts holding the cradle to the engine block were seized solid. I could feel one about to "go" and called a halt. I was in terrible danger of shearing one or more of these bolts and played safe. Sadly and regrettably, the job had to be abandoned :cry:

That was a very sad and devastating "first" for me; the first time I've ever had to abandon a job because I ran out of talent/facilities/tools to complete the job. Sid and Steve, I'm very sorry :oops: :cry:

Yesterday evening the lad down the end of the street called me. He'd just got hold of a very tidy 1991 Honda Civic, the sporty one with the 1.6 DOHC engine.

As he does, he was busy replacing the cam covers with highly polished examples and in doing so he dropped a nut into the depths of the cambelt. He had the sense to realise this might have fatal results if he ignored the lost nut and started up the engine. He'd tried to remove the cam covers to rescue the nut but was stumped. I went over and helped him by undoing the crank pulley (very tight) and removing all the covers. The nut was nowhere to be seen initially and then we found it resting, well hidden, in a valley in the engine mount. A flick and it fall out. Had he ignored it, it's almost certain it would, sooner or later, have got involved in the cambelt and caused considerable harm.

I've been fixing a blower speed controller module today and had another that was in very rough condition. It had been very wet. In playing with this module, I made two very interesting discoveries; the transistors can go open-circuit as well as going short-circuit as is their normal way of failure. If both go open circuit, as they had on this module, there is no blower at all. I'm now of the opinion, after doing more tests, that one transistor goes open-circuit and this causes the other to take all the blower current which overloads it and causes it to fail short-circuit and give rise to the uncontrollable blower fault.

I tried repairing this really rough module with some second-hand but good transistors I'd saved from many previous repairs. The two I chose were not a matched pair and although the module then worked it was quickly obvious that one transistor was working far harder than the other as evidenced by one being relatively cooler than the other. So, if you try repairing these modules be sure to replace both transistors with a matched pair. Match them by comparing batch numbers on them.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 May 2011, 11:46

It must be something to do with Mondays :roll:

Following a great day out at Spalding on Sunday, I planned yesterday to give Old V6 a check-over and service prior to her MOT later this month...

The service went OK but in checking I noted the HP pump was a bit weepy and making the alternator damp with LHM. Knowing that LHM and alternators don't mix I removed the pump and replaced all it's O rings. It appeared to have been weeping from the 6 piston PAS secton and removing the caps to replace the seals was a challange. Those caps are seriously tight.

I also removed the alternator so I could give it a good clean up.

It's an interesting job removing an alternator from a V6. I always wondered why it was relatively easy to remove the A/C Compressor. Now I knowe, it neds to be driopped out of the way to give the alternator sufficient space to be eased out.

In fact HP pump, alternator and A/C compressor removal is straightforward enough even if some of it is done by feel. A universal joint on a long socket extension is essdential for alterbnator removal...

MOT checks reveraled a couple of reasonably perished flexi-hoses to the front calipers. These have been replaced with the usual fight with the rigid pipe to flexi unions..

The old flexis were dated 05/97 so they were originals. Not bad...

I did not quite finish last evening to to the time and descending darkeness. This afternoon it should just be a matter of popping it all back together..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 May 2011, 17:18

Old V6 is all back on the road now :D

One side-effect of re-sealing the pump appears to be a lengthened tick rate... I nearly got fed up with waiting for it to tick this afternoon. When it eventually does, the pump only runs for a split-second...

She's all ready for the MOT man now...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 06 May 2011, 22:14

Pal of mine blew up his Pug 306 1.9TD gearbox in the week by towing his dad's broken-down Rover 75 from Nottingham to MK. he started out with a full complement of cogs in the box and at the end of the journey he was reduced to one :lol:

He limped it to my place and this evening we set about the job of replacing clutch and gearbox...

On draining the 'box we found out why it died. About and eggcupful of oil ran out of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't wait to pull the 'box apart and inspect the carnage inside. It makes some truly horrible noises...

I was prepared for the RH driveshaft intermediate bearing to be a bit of fun but in the event it slipped out of it's housing with hardly a murmur...

Wish I could say the same about the clutch release shaft pin :evil: That one was a bit of a game. We ended up heating the shaft and using a hammer and punch on a pair of Molegrips squeezed on the end of the pin. With much effort the pin came out slowly but it really fought to the very last millimetre...

We're now ready to drop the old 'box and replace it and clutch. That'll have to wait until Sunday now as I have a wedding to attend tomorrow...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 08 May 2011, 20:11

Part II of the 306 gearbox transplant went very well today and the job is done.

I'm most grateful to Chris570 who popped over and lent us an exceedingly good hand. Thanks Chris :D Chris is a dab-hand at getting gearboxes to pop home on their splines. It took two goes though as first time the release bearing rotated out of alignment during fitting. That was found by trying to test operate the clutch. It's a good idea to do that as soon as the 'box is on and before doing anything else.

All in all, a clutch change on a 306 is not a bad job at all... A tad easier than the Xantia... The 306 is a well designed little car and generally is a joy to work on.

I shall now strip the wrecked 'box. One thing I do know is that it rattles when shaken :lol: I can see already that one of the diff bearings has collapsed..

I was treated to a meal as thanks for doing the job and afterward we had a look at the Rover 75 that was the cause of the demise of the 306 gearbox. The clutch pedal was on the floor. The Rover has a hydraulic clutch setup much like the Xantia in that it's basically sealed for life. the major difference is that it has a bleed nipple and the slave cylinder is internal and part of the release bearing. If the slave goes it's a gearbox off job to swap it...

We had a look at the master cylinder and found it very low on fluid. The Rescue man had tried to bleed it and failed. What was in there was very dirty.

To get to the master cylinder it was necessary to take a bit of the lower dash off and then with a massive fiddle the cylinder reservoir could be topped up using a small shot glass half full of fluid and some contortions. We pumped through fluid until it came out of the bleed nipple clean and were rewarded with a perfectly functional clutch. How long it will last is another matter but for now it's good.

All in all, a very busy weekend but a very successful one

:D

Chris570

Post by Chris570 » 09 May 2011, 09:40

thats very good news about the 75 :) beats taking the subframe off....

you're more than welcome for the hand Jim. I hate putting gearboxs back on clutches but aside from the clutch cable being in the way it wasnt all that bad really. Just glad I could help things along :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 May 2011, 20:53

I had the dead gearbox in bits this evening... All I can say is..

The good old BE3 is a tough old bird :D

Considering it ran for gawd only knows how many miles dry the only major damage is a couple of ruined diff bearings.

The end came when the diff bearings got so hot under the heavy towing load they seized and spun in their housings. This caused the outer shell on the RH side to 'walk' along the casing causing the diff to tilt and put pressure on the geartrain and prevent gear engagement. It caused things to be a tad noisy too!!!

The diff bearing housings are a bit damaged but that can be sorted with some bearing lock and potentially the 'box can be made good again.

Anyone in need of a TD BE3? If so, I'll rebuild it...

andmcit

Post by andmcit » 10 May 2011, 21:04

What are the differences in 306 boxes jim
- my Brother in Law has an iffy 2nd on his 1.4?

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=35385

Saw your (and other) replies - how do I know which type of gearbox
it uses. It DOESN'T use rods ans uses a selection rod that indirectly
pivots off a bished 90º lever.