Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

These phones have damm good cameras on them jim... All my v6 project photos are taken with my phone.... Thats a nice shot there.....

Paul

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

...have a couple more Jim:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hey, they're good Franklin...

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

No probs Jim - your Activa was looking smart! 8-)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased to report New V6 passed her MOT with flying colours yesterday...

She's back in storage now and Old V6 has resumed the role of daily runabout although she's soon due her MOT...

Off to help break a Nissan Pulsar in a while, specifically helping lift the engine out... Should be fun as it's a transverse 4WD set-up.

Some time this weekend I'll be running down to Somerset - in the Activa... Following all the work she's now such a pleasure to drive...

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Your Activa is looking stunning in those pictures Jim, such a nice car 8-)

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Congratulations on the Mot jim, though i would be surprised if any of your cars failed after being "Jimmed"!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

davetherave wrote:Congratulations on the Mot jim, though i would be surprised if any of your cars failed after being "Jimmed"!
No pressure for 'Old V6' then :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: No pressure for 'Old V6' then :lol:
No, she failed last year on a split steering rack gaiter and after a good check over she seems pretty healthy...

Which is more than I can say for the Pulsar we're breaking. It's now looking very sorry for itself..

Shame to break such a great little Jap road rocket but sadly, she's as rotten as a pear - shockingly so - and worth much more as parts than as a complete car...

Some things have challenged us, given that the engine is one designed for longitudinal fitting and in the Pulsar it's transversely mounted.. We think some things on a Citroen are hard to get at. Try this and the Citroen looks like a doddle!!!

I made a great discovery yesterday on Old V6... Last year the aircon worked reasonably but was noisy. Since replacing teh crank pulley back in the depths of winter, I now find the aircon is quiet...

Yesterday an aircon was essential as Old V6 does not have a sunroof :cry: It hit 28 degrees hereabouts yesterday...

Off now to carry on Pulsar breaking. We hope to have the engine out today. The body has to be lifted off of it....

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the Pulsar well and truly broken...

This was the state of the rear sills and arches...

Here's the engine sitting on baulks of wood ready for the shell to be lifted clear...

and as this is a French Car Forum, a little PSA interest...

We did more than we planned and even got the rear transaxle dropped as well using an old Xantia trick - we just dropped it complete on the subframe...

It was a shame to break it really as one day these will be very sought-after but a close inspection of the structure really showed it to be a bit too far gone really...

The photos don't quite do the work justice. It was an almost complete car when we started!

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

As you say Jim its a shame to break it but at least its parts are going to a good home, always thought about a Pulsar GTI-R (exellent car name by the way) along with many others, every time i see a clean unmolested red 205gti come up for sale (and they do far too often over here) i start having the sort of thoughts that would get me devorced :lol: too many cars, so little time.........

Anyway, at least you have been kept out of trouble overhe weekend Jim :lol:

D

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

...a mate had a Pulsar GTI-R that he spent huge amounts of money on and was beautiful - it was running huge BHP too.

He sold it and it unfortunately was broken for spares as it was worth more!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I used to have a red 205GTi Dean... Loved it as well but sold it for an Activa... Love that too..

This Pulsar was indeed a pukka-genuine Jap import GTI-R and it had all the trick bits on it too...

The owner has already sold most of it on the 'bay and everything is going to keep other Pulsars going so it's not died in vain...

Jap imports are not very well rust-proofed sadly.

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ahh Pulsar car... more left, but I dont think its as good as the rival Mazda 323 Turbo 1600i 16v DOHC 4WD.....

Paul

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

only good thing Mazda ever made had a Wankel in it!
Never knew they did a 323 AWD but if its only running a 1.6 turbo lump there cant be much scope for tuning, the pulsar having the bigger engine must have been been a stronger unit surely?
I was going to get a Mazda 323 1.8 V6 coupe but bought a CRX Del sol instead a few years back, the little V was cute but the honda had cheaper insurance and the V-tec was something i wanted to experience sooo..........

Must of been a lovely car to have Jim, when i see them now they seem so basic and to the point, an engine a good looking body and some stuff to point it where you want to go and thats it, a guy a went to college with had one, a 1.9 and it was standard apart from a stainless exhaust and i loved the look of it, it just looks right completely stock, even the alloys suit the car and there arent many cars out there i would say that about.

D