Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart » 19 Dec 2010, 23:23

thats only 1 per xm isnt it Robert? your going to need more spares Laughing

Yup, but I can get away with it, the 2000 TD auto has been sold, so that reduces my exposure by a third until I find another auto, plus it has one of my good TD valve blocks. :(
0x
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 26 Dec 2010, 13:38

On the Autos. Aint it great:
* To have no troubesome clutches, pesky clutch kit and cables etc etc. . Then the gearbox and cheap nylon bushes that fail. The stretchy gearchange linkages too. All adds up. Sorer on driveshafts as well.

I'm aware of the downsides but that lot above can be torture on parts prices and labour.
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 26 Dec 2010, 15:44

I quite agree Lexi and I really don't understand why the automatic has not completely and totally eclipsed the manual gearbox/manual clutch in recent years, especially in all those vehicles just used as A to B transport in urban gridlock. An auto in heavy, crawling traffic is bliss...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 26 Dec 2010, 21:01

You know Jim i love autos but im not afraid to admit im scared of the citroen Xantia autos as they do seem to like failing :cry:

A V6 auto......heaven on wheels 8-)
0x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 26 Dec 2010, 22:27

vince wrote:A V6 auto......heaven on wheels 8-)

You really should take the plunge Vince... You would really love a V6. Have you driven one? If not, we can fix that :wink:
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Jan 2011, 22:00

Ran down to Somerset in the New V6 on Sunday to see the folks. The girls came with me and we had a great day. V6 ran like a dream.

Monday I'd planned to do a little light spannering on Old V6 to sort out the starter motor; it was a little reluctant to disengage on the first start of the day.

Before getting to Old V6, I gave New V6 a quick check over after her run and was shocked to find a puddle of oil under her. Closer inspection showed it to be transmission fluid :o

the cause was a leak at the Banjo union on the end of the gearbox where the pipe from the cooler terminates. It was a tad loose and a tighten has almost stopped the flow but not completely. I need to replace the copper washers eiter side of the banjo.

Here's the guilty party:

In 300 miles the gearbox lost a litre and a half of fluid. Good job I spotted it. A leak like that could have pumped the 'box dry...

Then I got the starter off Old V6 and gave it a check. Again, as is par for a V6, the motor comes off easily enough but space is a bit tight and the 10mm studs holding its heatshield on are a bit of a game, being in very close proximity to the front bank exhaust downpipe.

On the bench, the problem turned out to be a sticky pinion shaft. My fault. I lubricated it sparingly when I did the rebuild and only later did I learn that shaft should be clean and dry. The lubricant had gone very tacky and was enough to hold the pinion in engagement with the ring gear for a moment after the engine started.

A good clean up and all is now very good indeed.

Xac came round in the afternoon and we set about replacing his damaged auxiliary belt tensioner. Lots of fun as reported in Xac's blog :)

I did hope to take the Activa out for a spin, it being a nice day. It's too wet and dirty again now so an Activa run is now postponed until another dry day is upon us...
0x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 05 Jan 2011, 22:06

Lucky you caught that leak when you did Jim!

Glad all of your lovely Xantias are going well :)

Its been difficult getting a dry day recently, ive been wanting to get the Xm for a run out but ive failed to find a suitably dry and salt free day.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart » 05 Jan 2011, 22:15

Keep that XM wrapped up Chris, the estates are particularily susceptible to the salt.
0x
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 05 Jan 2011, 22:21

Yep, i wont be taking it out just yet. I started it up today and ran it for a while, started no problem despite being stood for about a month now.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 05 Jan 2011, 22:48

Good spot on the leak Jim, isn't it strange that a bolt can stay sealed for 12 years and suddenly start to leak :?
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Jan 2011, 23:03

DickieG wrote:Good spot on the leak Jim, isn't it strange that a bolt can stay sealed for 12 years and suddenly start to leak :?

It's how it goes Richard...

Speaking on the blower this evening to a fellow V6 owner who had the same problem a year or so ago, the problem seems to be that the aluminium washers each side of the Banjo slowly corrode until they let go. He did not realise the problem until the gearbox became a bit slow in taking up drive. He's lost 2 and a half litres by then.

I observe that the oldest 4HP20 I have here has copper washers; aluminium ones came later...

I'll be replacing them with ones of the copper variety...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 Jan 2011, 19:20

As many of you will know, I work on an IT Help desk. One of my colleagues occasionally produces a modified "Dilbert" cartoon when he spots one that is appropriate to either the work we do or to one of our staff.

For me today, he produced this:

Draw your own conclusions...

I was rather touched by it :)
0x
Jim

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave » 07 Jan 2011, 22:25

Lol an IT legend as well as a xantia one!
0x
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Jan 2011, 20:21

I put new copper washers on the gearbox banjo union on New V6 on Saturday and found it was still leaking :evil:

The new washers I sourced from Halfrauds as they did some just about the right size.

The reason for the continued leak was that the copper washers were as hard as tungsten :twisted: They needed annealing (softening) before use. This is a very easy job, just heat them with a blowtorch until they glow cherry red and then let them cool down. They'll be as soft as cheese them and will effectively seal.

Sunday I went to see Gareth (Xantiaman) and made the journey in New V6, mainly because although I'd have liked to have given the Activa a run out, it was trapped in by another car and i really didn't want to disturb the owner of the car just so I could get Activa out...

The journey up to Norwich was treacherous at the beginning due to black ice. The A421, A428, A14 and parts of the A11 were like skating rinks and I lost count of the aftermath of mishaps I saw as a result. Seems the gritters had not been out.

An excellent day was spent with Gareth and his family and for us the sun shone all day although it was a tad cool. Gareth's Activa is a good 'un and an excellent basis to make immaculate. Sadly, due to lack of ramps and other resources we were unable to fully sort the hydraulic problems but we know what's wrong (fully reported in Gareths thread) and work is in hand to resolve it. The day was nicely rounded off by a visit to the remains of Norwich City railway station and other railway artifacts in the area and then a good feed at a local carvery. :D

Happily, I can report the gearbox on New V6 is now 100% oil-tight :D

Today, I did get at my Activa and went for a good ride in it. Very pleasant. It's now back home with me for a bit of TLC, including the fitting of a new radiator, hopefully at the weekend.
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Jan 2011, 16:46

Yesterday I was struck down by yet another cold and things have gone downhill since. This ones a really vicious one and I'm even having trouble putting a coherent sentence together :evil: It might look OK but the spell checker is working over time to make it look decent... My head is all mush and I can't think straight...

I've been a slave to colds this winter and as soon as one seems to be gone, another is there to take its place.

I did a bit of research and found, not surprisingly, that my place of work, being warm, crowded and air-conditioned does not help. Everyone seems to have a cold or had one very recently. This is the perfect place for the viruses to get around.

The other surprising discovery I made is that my lifestyle, spending a lot of time outdoors in all weathers does make a cold more likely but not for the old belief that you "catch" a cold from the cold weather. Those who spend lots of time outdoors in active pursuits build up a very strong immune system and this attacks invading viruses very hard, even weak ones, and it's the immune system fighting these viral attackers that makes you feel ill, not the virus itself. So if you have a weak immune system it might not bother to fight a cold virus and you end up not feeling ill even though technically, you have a cold.

Judging by the colds I've had recently, my immune system must be in excellent shape... That may be so but it's no comfort when you feel like you've been clobbered with a sledge-hammer and feel rubbish :evil:
0x
Jim