These past couple of evenings I've been out in my workshop engrossed in my favourite subject: gearboxes
Those who read this blog will recall I stripped a Saxo MA gearbox with a very duff diff a few weeks ago. I did it as I needed to learn about them in readiness to rebuild the MA 'box in Robyn's 206 on account of a weak 1st gear synchro.
Earlier this week, Chris (570) very kindly dropped me off another MA 'box that had a badly broken casting but otherwise good internals
Last evening I started stripping this 'box despite the cold and that fact it was incredibly dirty. I needed the spanner therapy
Many fixings in these 'boxes are of the Torx variety and very tight on account of the generous quantities of thread locking compound used. One particularly tight one shattered my only T40 Torx bit
This particular bit was a replacement for one I broke from an original set I bought in 1985 and has done sterling service. The T40 from this set finally gave up after being used as an impact bit and trying to undo a very tight bolt on a 4HP20 on the end of a three foot breaker bar and my foot. I therefore forgive it. Abuse beyond the call of duty. I replaced it with a Draper Expert bit from a set and that one failed at the first sign of real work. Again though, I must admit, at the end of my 3 foot breaker bar
So much for Draper Expert. Looking at other Draper Expert bits I have compared to my 25 year old set I was dismayed to find they are poor quality and very poorly sized; they are a loose fit in the Torx bolt head
In short, for serious work they're rubbish.
I'd had experience with shattering Draper Expert bits in the past when a T27 shattered when dismantling another 4HP20. I replaced it with a Halfords Professional bit. These come on the end of a 3/8" socket and the replacement Halfords T27 has happily taken lots of abuse in its stride. So, believing them good and knowing our local factors only stock Draper, I went to Halfords today and bought a family of their professional Torx bits. The new T40 made short work of the tight bolts and has made no complaint. Halfords may be a bit Mickey Mouse for many things these days but I have nothing but praise for their Professional range of tools
The MA gearbox came apart and apart from being very mucky inside (oil never changed I guess) it's in perfect condition
Now I can make one good 'box from the two and have a ready-to-fit spare in readiness for Robyn's 206 should it be needed. Touch wood, at the moment, she's managing with her weak first gear and has not complained about it for weeks now.
Here's a couple of pictures of the dismantled 'box:
A general view of the innards:
And the output shaft dismantled:
This time I managed to dismantle everything without springs and balls flying all over the place
Next project is to practice resealing leaky camboxes on my spare V6 engine in readiness should I need to do the job for real on old V6. I've already discovered it's going to be a BIG job involving removal of the timing belt and the camshafts as there are joints on the cam carriers as well as the cam covers. It's the cam carrier to cylinder head joints that leak rather than the more easily accessed covers themselves.
One thing is for sure, I won't be doing this job until the leaks (just minor weeps at present) get so bad as to be imperative! That is likely to be when Old V6 either starts to leave embarrassing puddles or the spark plug wells fill too readily with oil..