Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 31 Oct 2010, 12:40

Deanxm wrote:although i do wonder how much longer the 18year old cat will last.

Speaking to the garage, apparently the larger they are physically the longer they last. Apocryphal perhaps but those on the TCT and V6 seem to go on and on and on, being the size of small dustbins. The one on the 1.4 TU 206 is a tiny little pipsqueak of a thing...

So, on that basis, yours will most likely be OK for a few more MOTs yet. What was yor last emissions figures?

superloopy1 wrote:Nothing's getting touched at the mo' due to F-I-L's bereavement.

Oh Mike, so sorry to hear that :cry: Quite understood how it's taken the mood away for playing cars. I've been in very similar circumstances and I can safely say the desire will soon return as strong as ever. In fact, getting lost in playing cars can be a great therapy. It was what got me out of my last nervous breakdown and still works wonders for me when life gets a bit hard going...

Don't even mention Christmas :twisted: I've cancelled it this year on account of the costs incurred in keeping Robyn mobile for another year :twisted:

She has her car back now and didn't even notice I'd given it the valet of its life inside and out - Kids!

On the Activa Write-Up Mike, which one? Cambelt? I have all the photos and just need to get the write-up done. Time is my problem. Maybe now the nights are drawing in and the rain falls. I'll have that time. I want to rework my website and make it a bit better than it is so that'll be a good opportunity...

Yesterday morning I was up bright and early and gave New V6 a good wash and cleanup before sadly laying her up for the winter and bringing Old V6 back into daily duties.

I've remarked about the performance of Old V6's headlights in the past and I decided, especially now the clocks have gone back, to set about doing something about it.

Personally I detest this fixation we have with mucking about with the clocks twice a year. I wish they'd just leave the damm things alone or move the time an hour forward from BST in the winter so we have light evenings.

Back to headlights, I contemplated the relay mod on the V6 but due to there being no easy place to accommodate the additional relays and no way for me to add the wiring in an unobtrusive way, I've postponed that for a while. The biggest problem was that they were set very low so late evening I gave the adjusters a quick tweak to bring the lights up a tad and the difference is incredible. They seem a tad high now but a 20 mile journey last night didn't elicit any displeasure from oncoming cars so I can only assume they're OK.

Today, if it ever stops raining, I intend to shine the Activa lights (they're perfect) on the garage doors, draw the beam patterns on said doors and then shine the V6 headlights against the door and adjust the beam patters to match.

Driving briskly along a dark country lane last night, I'm satisfied the relay mod is not really necessary and the carlos fandango super-Bright bulbs I have fitted are doing the job :D

Last evening, a most pleasant and enjoyable time was spent with Xac doing a bit of spannering on Jenny... It's amazing what can be achieved on a wet driveway in the dark with just a failing inspection lamp for illumination...

The failing inspection lamp is mine :twisted: It's one of these rechargeable LED jobs that cost a good bit and has been a godsend as it is (was) very bright and gives (gave) a lovely working light but recently it's stopped holding its charge. It's bright for only about 10 minutes after a charge and then goes a bit dim and will stay a bit dim for ages and ages. I suspect the battery pack as the charge complete lamp comes on far too soon when charging...

I'll have to take it apart and see if the batteries can be replaced. Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and get another one as I'll be lost without it.
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm » 31 Oct 2010, 12:56

The cat on the xm is indeed large, its bigger than the tct one by a fair bit and its bigger than the Activa one too.
CO is a little high on the last four mot's looking back actualy, although that was after i put a new throttle body on it and i have a not touched the co adjuster so maybe giving that a tweek will help swing things back to normal but co always comes out at either .27% or .20%.
Heres an interesting thing though, when she gives .20% co content they say the limit is .20%, so she is right on the max limit, now when she gave a reading of .27% last year the sheet says the limit is .30% :? :? then again this year the sheet says .20% was the limit and she went though at .20% :lol: i wonder if my garage are moving the goalposts somehow although i wouldnt think thats possible.

Personally I detest this fixation we have with mucking about with the clocks twice a year. I wish they'd just leave the damm things alone or move the time an hour forward from BST in the winter so we have light evenings.

Couldnt agree more, i always end up forgetting to change the clocks too which can be interesting.

D
0x
XM Prestige 92, surgery has begun, RIP faithfull 2.0i
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 31 Oct 2010, 13:25

Dean,

There is a 0.200 limit and a 0.300 limit depending on the test being carried out.

The first one they do is a fast idle test and here the limit is 0.200. They can have two goes at this one and I believe it is carried out at something like 2500 rpm. Generally on fast idle the CO level will be lower in any case as the engine is running smother and the mixture atomisation and control is better. Engines emit most CO when ticking over and rapidly clean up their act as the speed is increased.

Often a duff cat (or even no cat) will pass the fast idle test if the lambda and MAP sensors are good and everything else is in good nick. This explains why a fail can be turned into a pass if the natural idel speed is upped a tad (where you can)

My Activa recorded a 0.005 on this test and Robyn's 206 0.008.

The next test is a natural idle test where CO is checked at normal idle speed. This one is the clincher and the cat has to be good to see a pass. here the limit is 0.300.

As an example., my Activa with a good cat achieved 0.003 on this test and Robyn's 206, which has a weak cat, could only do 0.282 (a real scrape)

Interestingly, with the bad lambda sensor, Robyn achieved 0.941 CO on the first fast idle test, 0.920 on the second and 0.499 on the natural idle test.

All the figures were taken from the SUN DGA2500 printouts.

With a new lambda, this sorted the fast idle test but the cat was struggling to cope with the natural idle test.

This shows the value of an MOT emissions test if you have any doubt about the health of your lambda sensor and/or cat.

What was your fast idle results Dean?
0x
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 31 Oct 2010, 13:43

Ah yes i understand that, here is three emmissions tests with max co levels and actual and you will see my confusion.

.................Fast limit.............fast actual...........idle limit...........idle actual
Aug 2006 .20% .20% .30% .28%
Aug 2007 .30% .27% .50% .47%
Aug 2008 .20% .20% .30% .29%

Do you see what i mean now Jim, what happened in 2007 :lol: i will have to find the last two they are around somewhere.

D
0x

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 31 Oct 2010, 13:50

I see what you mean Dean!

Looks like in 2007 he tested on the non-cat limits...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Nov 2010, 20:04

Feeling distinctly groggy this evening :evil:

I've had a 'flu jab today and I have what feels like a mild dose of it...

Hopefully it'll stave off any real 'flu later in the year and feeling a bit groggy tonight will pay dividends later.

Our work offers them free and on-site for all staff... Does them good as it reduces sick leave...

On the subject of leaks (seems one of my favourite Xantia subjects, although not from choice :evil: ) When I collected Old V6 on Saturday I thought I could detect a bit of a musty smell in it.

I checked all the usual places for leaks and found none but did find a nasty, sticky residue under the front passenger's footwell carpet. Turned out it was anti-freeze from its heater matrix leak two years ago.

Wiped up with a cloth and the smell has mostly gone now...
0x
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 01 Nov 2010, 20:23

bet the sight of antifreeze on the carpets was a bit of a shock for a second Jim :lol:

Found this years emissions test aswell, they done the same again but it wasnt as bad this time, still think the cat is on its way out though, good job they are only cheap, mind you i did make myself a decat section that ive still got :wink:

D
0x

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 01 Nov 2010, 21:11

Sympathies for you Jim!
Danielle's mum's had her flu jab in one arm and pneumonia jab in the other today.
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 01 Nov 2010, 21:33

CitroJim wrote:The failing inspection lamp is mine :twisted: It's one of these rechargeable LED jobs that cost a good bit and has been a godsend as it is (was) very bright and gives (gave) a lovely working light but recently it's stopped holding its charge. It's bright for only about 10 minutes after a charge and then goes a bit dim and will stay a bit dim for ages and ages. I suspect the battery pack as the charge complete lamp comes on far too soon when charging...

I'll have to take it apart and see if the batteries can be replaced. Otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and get another one as I'll be lost without it.

You can get most types of rechargable cells from these people I got some cells to refurb an old PC battery pack a few years ago and the quality seemed OK.
0x

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 01 Nov 2010, 21:55

I have used one of These for a while now, they give a good spread of light, fit in anywhere and are nearly indestructable, they dont get too hot either, we use them at work for hanging in chimneys...................and one in the shed of course :wink: .

D[/quote]
0x

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 01 Nov 2010, 22:01

xantia_v6 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:The failing inspection lamp is mine :twisted: It's one of these rechargeable LED jobs that cost a good bit and has been a godsend as it is (was) very bright and gives (gave) a lovely working light but recently it's stopped holding its charge. It's bright for only about 10 minutes after a charge and then goes a bit dim and will stay a bit dim for ages and ages. I suspect the battery pack as the charge complete lamp comes on far too soon when charging...

You can get most types of rechargable cells from these people I got some cells to refurb an old PC battery pack a few years ago and the quality seemed OK.

GP cells are good, but expensive.
I use vapex from http://www.component-shop.co.uk/
They'll make custom packs up normally for no extra charge (no pun intended).

Which reminds me, must buy a new charger!
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Nov 2010, 07:58

Mike, Xac, Thanks for the cell links... I'll try taking the torch apart later and see what's inside...

That's if I survive the day. I've really reacted to this 'flu jab and I'm currently dosed up on Ibruprofen :evil:

Today at work is going to be fun :roll:
0x
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 02 Nov 2010, 08:16

good luck Jim, its no fun when your ill :(

D
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Nov 2010, 08:53

Deanxm wrote:good luck Jim, its no fun when your ill :(

Thanks Dean,

Good old Ibruprofen seems to be doing the business :)
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 Nov 2010, 17:39

It's been a bit of a week again on the brain-rotting IT front...

Yesterday was spent battling a deep software problem, one I wanted to crack before work on Monday. I thought it would take an hour or so and it ended up taking most of Friday evening and most of Saturday. I got there in the end though...

DickieG called in on Saturday afternoon on his way back from looking at a Xantia and was surprised to find me not in the garage and not wielding spanners around. In truth I was still locked in battle with the software but also I had to confess that all of my cars were running fine and actually needed no attention!

Richard dropped by to deliver an immaculate leather steering wheel for Old V6. As a testimony to the mileage on Old V6, the steering wheel is worn to the extent that the leather has absolutely no texture left and has been worn to a high polish; it's the shiniest thing on the car!

I did give all the cars a good once-over today and indeed found them faultless. I took my Activa out for a well-deserved spin and thoroughly enjoyed it. There really is some magic in an Activa :D

I noticed after the first run out in the Activa that a small area of the windscreen on the passenger side steamed up a little in the sunshine. Paranoid as I am about leaks, I checked for leaks and found none at all and could only conclude the air in the car was a little damp from being parked up in my drive for the past two weeks and receiving absolutely no sunshine at all.

Just in case it was damp, I checked the pollen filter in the Activa and was surprised to see the filter cover was screwed on rather than clipped as in the later cars. The pollen filter was dry but full of rubbish so out came the airline for a good blow-out. I did the same on the pollen filter in Old V6. That one had some debris on it that promptly fell out onto my newly vacuumed footwell carpet :evil:

I visited New V6 and awoke her from her hibernation for a good check-over and a quick run. She's going back on the road just as soon as finances allow...
0x
Jim