Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 28 Sep 2010, 21:46

Toby_HDi wrote:I've been told that on the auto box, it'll drop two gears and accelerate hard to get back up to speed! :lol:

Yep, great fun :twisted: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate

Post by MikeT » 28 Sep 2010, 22:03

Congratulations Jim, I particularly like the puncture repair (should last a long while I would have thought) and the karma-bringing pro-active repair. :wink:
0 x
98 S2 Xantia Hatch 1.9TD 143K
CX 2400 GTi

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 29 Sep 2010, 09:20

Good job jim and looks nice and neat to :)

If the patch fails try using a piece of bike innertube instead as its slightly thicker.
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

jgra1
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Honda VFR800 Fix
Honda Goldwing 1500/6 old and gold

Post by jgra1 » 29 Sep 2010, 09:26

great work Jim :D there is a small chance I may have a spare vac unit ... will try to remember to have a look :)

interesting about the throttle too.. my engine bay is getting a bit clogged up in that area, I will check for a closed valve off throttle I think..
0 x

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave » 29 Sep 2010, 10:36

Well done Jim!
I shall have to follow suit soon now i have a garage to work in in!
Mission cruise control coming soon...
0 x
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 03 Oct 2010, 21:28

davetherave wrote:Mission cruise control coming soon...

Hope my findings helps get yours working again Dave :)

This weekend I prepped the Activa for it's MOT. All fine except...

And I checked this because the V6 failed on it last time round...

A split steering rack gaiter :twisted: Luckily, on the RH (Drivers) side so not the hard side.

An hour I thought will see this done and dusted. A trip to our local factors got one and where I discovered I'm now a true and pukka trade customer :D

To change the gaiter it's firstly necessary to remove the track rod end. Normally this is easy.

First problem was the 16mm nut did not want to come fully off; it got tight at the bottom of the thread despite plenty of wire brushing and Plus Gas and then, on a final turn, the taper "broke" meaning it just spun uselessly. I had to G-cramp the track rod end down tight so that the taper could "bite" again and allow the nut to come off. Finally it did..

Then I undid the locknut on the end of the thread where the end screws into the track rod proper. That was easy.

But would the end move? No way. It was very content where it was and no amount of persuasion would move it :twisted: In the end the propane was called for and even after a good heat it was still incredibly recalcitrant :twisted: More heat and more Plus Gas finally got a barest hit of movement and agonizingly slowly, by screwing back and forth, the end eventually screwed off..

What a bloody hell of a job. That bit alone took two hours...

Then it was just a case of fitting the new gaiter. This should be a simple job but access is incredibly poor and the only access is from under, lying on your back, trying to get a greasy gaiter end onto the end of the rack. It's one of those "have 16 goes, give up and try agin" sorts of jobs. It seems impossible and just when you are about to explode, it pops on so easily.

Then it's just the fiddly task of fitting a cable tie to secure it.

Still, 'tis done and I can find nothing else so later this week she'll be presented to the nice MOT man for her yearly check-over and the one visit she makes to a garage in the course of a year.

Strange I've now had two cars afflicted with the same unusual-ish problem in the same year. Must be something in the air...
0 x
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 04 Oct 2010, 07:52

Toby_HDi wrote:Now just remember not to recall last memorised speed after leaving a dual carriageway.

I've been told that on the auto box, it'll drop two gears and accelerate hard to get back up to speed! :lol:

The xantia cruise control has quite a gentle ramp-up, maybe 1MPH per second, so on a flat road it will never kick down, but on a reasonable uphill it will kick down to second, giving the passengers a bit of a thrill :lol:

My first car with cruise control was an XJ-S V12, I got the adjustment wrong on that, and it did use nearly full throttle on resume, which gave the driver a bit of a thrill as well. :wink:
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Oct 2010, 17:04

I'm pleased to report the Activa has a nice new MOT certificate :D :D She passed without so much as an advisory....

Whilst awaiting the verdict, I stripped a non-turbo Bosch diesel pump I'd dug out of my stash as a possible replacement for Kev's Boxer van up in the Peugeot forum. He dropped his and it ended up leaking like a colander...

Last evening I found it seized absolutely rock solid :twisted:

Once apart (with difficulty) it was not hard to see why. It was half-full of foul-smelling rancid oil and had clearly been in this state some time. The oil was also watery and this had led to terminal rusting of the swashplate (camplate). It's still seized and I expect to find the lift pump a rusty mess as well. The governor is seized solid with rust as is the delivery sleeve on the HP pumping element; the latter is also covered in rust.

Here's a picture of the swashplate:

It should be bright, shiny and smooth and not covered in rust like this :evil:

This pump is good only for the bin :cry: About the only things potentially any good on it are the alloy castings...

It was, in retrospect, a good job I did not just box it up and send it off to Kev as-was. Had he tried it on his engine, chances are it would have stripped teeth off his cambelt and wrecked his engine.
0 x
Jim

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 05 Oct 2010, 23:05

Is there anything this man cant fix? :clap: :)
0 x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

jgra1
MG TF 135
Honda VFR800 Fix

Post by jgra1 » 05 Oct 2010, 23:07

this pump :lol:
0 x

MikeT

Post by MikeT » 06 Oct 2010, 10:20

CitroJim wrote:I'm pleased to report the Activa has a nice new MOT certificate :D :D She passed without so much as an advisory....

Whilst awaiting the verdict, I stripped a non-turbo Bosch diesel pump I'd dug out of my stash as a possible replacement for Kev's Boxer van up in the Peugeot forum. He dropped his and it ended up leaking like a colander...

Last evening I found it seized absolutely rock solid :twisted:

Congrats on the MOT pass, you're pro-active maintenance has paid back dividends once again.

It has been said these pumps will readily rust internally if stored dry and/or in unfavourable environmental conditions and I guess that includes your garage. Mine are stored in my flat but even then I just found the plunger and control collar in the pump I'm rebuilding are so sticky, even those heavy springs can't move them - the leverset will stay firm in any position I set them to.

p.s. If this report means you've got a pump for spares, could I please have the governor idle spring set (at end and outside of governor cage) as either me or the cat's have hidden mine?
0 x
CX 2400 GTi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2010, 19:43

MikeT wrote:p.s. If this report means you've got a pump for spares, could I please have the governor idle spring set (at end and outside of governor cage) as either me or the cat's have hidden mine?

They're all rusty Mike and really not fit for service but I'm sure I can find a better set for you.

Do you mean the springs that press on the throttle plate between it and the distributor head? And do you mean the actual governor cage?

I've been a bit busy recently and apart from the visit to Duxford on Sunday, I have been totally occupied with learning Java to enable me to write a web application. last week the only thing I knew about Java was that it was a programming language so the learning curve was very steep!

My first task was to by a book called "Learn Java in 24 hours". Whilst the title was a tad optimistic it did allow me to gain a fundamental understanding and it's culminated in me getting the essential bits of a servlet-based application running on Apache Tomcat. It was a bit of "in at the deep end" as this application needs to query a database from parameters given in the website URL and display the results in a web page. It just needs tidying and exception catching to be completed now before it goes into use.

My first choice for such a job would have been to use PHP (the language this forum is written in) but that avenue was not open to me.

Java is a lovely language once you get the gist of it; the biggest problem by far is that there is an absolute dearth of clearly written documentation. It all seems to be written by semi-illiterate geeks who have a love of big and obscure words. In short, the documentation is pretty impenetrable :twisted: The computer equivalent of a BoL!

The book I mentioned is thankfully one that is very much an exception and for a computer book is surprisingly readable :D Every chapter ends with an amusing question and answer that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject in hand.

I've missed a lot of happenings on the forum as a result but will catch up over the coming days...

I must confess to feeling a tad proud of what I've achieved...

Hopefully, this weekend I can get back to playing cars. I must make sure mine is Ok before taking possession of Robyn's 206 whilst she is in Iceland for a week on a geography field trip (the country, not the shop although I'm sure many women could spend a week in that shop :roll: ) and get it through its MOT.

It will be good to get back to the spanners after my enforced Java immersion...
0 x
Jim

MikeT

Post by MikeT » 15 Oct 2010, 11:18

Sorry I wasn't clear, Jim. This pic should help overcome the confusion of naming conventions.

See the idle spring on the left end, outside the cage, the bits that hook over and contact the governor leverset? Those are the parts I'm missing, comprises of two cups, a couple of washers/shims, the spring and a circlip IIRC.
0 x
CX 2400 GTi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Oct 2010, 12:44

Ah, that's better Mike!!!

We were really at cross-purposes there :roll:

I'll see what I can dig out over the weekend...
0 x
Jim

jgra1
MG TF 135
Honda VFR800 Fix

Post by jgra1 » 15 Oct 2010, 12:44

occupied with learning Java

on this day, in 1956, FORTRAN was unveiled, rolled out etc :D

a semi-pointless factoid there :twisted:

I got as far as BASIC, but when my brother tried to introduce me to machine code and accumulators that needed loading and things, I think I went looking for girls :lol:
0 x