Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 17 Aug 2010, 22:47

CitroJim wrote:You're getting very warm Chris :wink: sadly, not an S1 though...

Citroenmad wrote:Though your blue one looks very good to me. 8-)

Ahh yes, it may look but in truth it has a stratospheric mileage under it's belt (nearly 172K) and under a thin veneer of gloss it is really quite dog-eared in places.

Whilst the engine is healthy, 172K on an ES9 is pretty unknown territory really and how much longer will it go on for without major work? I do have a spare engine but it's a heck of a job to fit it and that engine has continence issues.

Then there's the gearbox. It was my first foray into them, it's rebuilt from all second-hand bits and was my learning curve. It's not quite 100% right due to me not knowing my spares donor 'box was from a 2.2HDi rather than a V6 and it has a few incompatible parts inside it...

She also has bad scratches on every window, goodness knows how they all got there...

I say all that but my S1 V6 is a very special car to me and despite all, it's a keeper simply because never have I invested quite so much blood, sweat and tears into a project and come out of the other end smiling :wink: I really do love my old V6 even if she is a bit ragged around the edges... Bit like me really...

Ah, a minty S2 with a large engine and auto box, sounds good 8-)

Im glad to hear you will be keeping your V6 too, as i did like th elook of that car and its mileage is astonishing. So you say its not perfect but in no way does it look to have that kind of mileage. Its certainly wearing well :)
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 17 Aug 2010, 22:53

And I thought you didn't get on with s2's Jim? :?

The cat's almost out of the bag already and you're just teasing now! :D
If it doesn't come off we won't all wag fingers etc! Is it one we already
know about on the forum per chance? Can't be many...

Andrew
0 x

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 17 Aug 2010, 23:17

I can only think of a few S2 V6s around this forum, its not a green one is it? 8-)

No, anyway, don't answer if you want to keep it a secret :roll:

No doubt we will be the first to know when it arrives :)
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

citroenxm
Location: I WISH I KNEW!!!!. Somewhere in North Wales, Anglesey
My Cars: 93 L Xantia TD SX anti sink
H 91 XM V6 24v PRV Manual
K 93 XM V6 12v SEi auto LPG

55 C5 1.6 HDi VTR
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto
51 C5 LX HDi 2.0 auto

Post by citroenxm » 18 Aug 2010, 13:07

Citroenmad wrote:Im glad to hear you will be keeping your V6 too, as i did like th elook of that car and its mileage is astonishing. So you say its not perfect but in no way does it look to have that kind of mileage. Its certainly wearing well :)

And mine will be at the Opposite end of the miles... mines, Blue, on a P plate, and has around 86k on her at a guess ... I say guess as theres history to around 60k ... but the clocks read around 28k - so theres been replacment at some point... but the tidyness indicates lowmiles due to lack of wear on items...

Paul
0 x
1991 XM 3.0 24v Manual (x2)
1994 XM 2.1 d auto (undecided what to do now)

1994 Xantia TD SX Project
s**t thats scarey... two XMs left...

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 18 Aug 2010, 17:26

Jim.

Why not consider something a bit different and try one of these:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/131662418.htm?ca=7_s
http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/120501904.htm?ca=7_s
http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/124809209.htm?ca=7_s

CERTAINLY MESSED MY HEAD UP THINKING ABOUT THEM!
May as well share the disorientation! :D

Andrew
0 x

robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart » 18 Aug 2010, 21:38

Not 1 but 2 Bi-Rotors!! Wow.
0 x
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 29 Aug 2010, 19:58

robert_e_smart wrote:Not 1 but 2 Bi-Rotors!! Wow.

I'd take those and make them good again... Shame they've been allowed to deteriorate so badly :cry:

Until today there was little to report really. Life has been very, very busy but not in an automotive sense.

It all changed a bit today. I took my Activa out for a spin to Tesco and on opening the boot I found it was trying to do an impression of a swimming pool. It had ruined two Tesco shopping bags and soaked an old blanket very thoroughly.

Seems it only happened since transferring my private plate to it from Rattiva who suffered from the same problem. rattiva is now 100% dry, I checked yesterday.

In fact, after removing the rear seats and boot mat, the cause was different. The sunroof drains were fine but there was no doubt the water was getting in at roof level and running down the C pillar but where was it getting in?

A look at the door gutters showed something odd as the photo below shows:

These are the tapped holes where a roofrack bracket may be fitted. They were wide open.

Compare to the arrangement on the V6:

These are sealed with screws and plates.

I reckon that the water was getting in these holes in the Activa and the situation was made worse because the weatherstrip/door gutter was a little away from the bodyshell as shown here:

This would allow rain to run between the guttering and body and thus permit a flow into the open roofrack holes.

Given the heavy rain that has fallen recently and the fact the Activa naturally leans a tad to that side when parked, it all kind of makes sense.

All holes are now sealed with a spot of RTV Silicone...

Meanwhile, the boot carpet and sound deadening are drying out over the bannister. The Tesco bags were a write-off but the blanket has dried a treat in the breeze this afternoon.

I hope I can find time to get the interior back in before CXM next weekend, otherwise a two-seater Activa will be going there!!!

In any case, the interior does not go back in until I'm 100% certain the leak is fixed... I want some more heavy rain now...

I also received a visit from a fellow Xantia owner this afternoon with an interesting problem. I shall leave him to no doubt relate the tale in his blog...
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 29 Aug 2010, 20:04

I opened those holes on Syb my first Xantia to fit roof bars.
They were resin/plastic blocks/plugs with tapped holes in them, but the holes didn't go all the way through, so no chance of leaks.
Could be someone overloaded or damaged them in previous ownership.
After a downpour yesterday, I noticed a little bit of water on Cassy's driver's mat, it's getting in at the bottom of the door seal :(
0 x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 29 Aug 2010, 20:32

Originally the roof bar holes were covered with tape prior to being painted, to fit roof bars the tape needs to be broken so any Xantia which has had roof bars fitted needs to be checked to ensure the holes are blocked one way or another.
0 x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 29 Aug 2010, 20:49

Bloody silicone plumbers :evil: :P

The Tesco bags were a write-off

Them's 'r bags for life. they should replace them if they are u/s. Not your fault they're not rainproof 8-)

Hope it's cured now though Jim. Can you test it with synthetic rain, from a hosepipe :D
0 x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 29 Aug 2010, 21:04

myglaren wrote:Them's 'r bags for life. they should replace them if they are u/s. Not your fault they're not rainproof 8-)

That's a good point Steve :) I might just try that one next time I go there!

I've tried some synthetic rain from a watering can and touching wood....
0 x
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 29 Aug 2010, 21:10

Jim,

If you haven't used roof bars, then the holes have been there for a long time. Why only leaking (and so enthusiastically) now?

I have sometimes left the screws out of mine for several months with no leaks, so I presume that Xac is right that the holes should be internally sealed. I had not seen those plates before, did they come with roof bars?
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Aug 2010, 21:18

xantia_v6 wrote:Jim,

If you haven't used roof bars, then the holes have been there for a long time. Why only leaking (and so enthusiastically) now?

Pass :roll:

It has been raining VERY enthusiastically here in the last week though :lol:

I think the reason is that the top of the rubber door gutter worked itself away from the bodyshell and there was an eighth inch gap between it and the edge of the roof on the leaky side whereas on the dry side, the gutter was hard up against, thus helping the seal.

Compare the LH (leaky) gutter

With the dry RH one

See the big gap on the LH one. It also had a lump of moss from the garage roof jammed in it, making the problem worse.

I put it down to age and hardening of the rubber as the initial cause.

I hope that's the cause of the leak. If not then I'm all out of ideas...
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Sep 2010, 21:24

It's been a long time again between updates. Mainly because, as usual, work has got in the way of playing cars..

Two rallies have passed, CXM and Midland. Both were excellent and I hugely enjoyed both...

The CXM saw Paul (CitroenXM) come to stay with me for the weekend and he travelled in his ultra-rare Series 1 24V V6 XM. This 24V engine is not the ES9 as in my V6s but a 24v version of the earlier PRV V6.

It's a cracker and with a manual gearbox, rather enthralling to drive :D

At CXM, I was made aware of a dead BX 17RD that had developed a major LHM leak in the rigid pipe between its HP pump and pressure regulator. It was spraying LHM in a beautiful fan-shape all over the gearbox! The car is owned by an elderly gentlemen and he was stranded. I removed the pipe on Saturday, Paul and I took it home that evening found the leak (a tiny split on a corner), chopped out the damaged section and brazed in a new piece. We refitted it on Sunday morning and happily, it seemed Ok. I saw the car and owner again at the Midland rally and it was still good.

One thing I noticed on the BX when I felt the pipe for leaks after repairing it is a very strong "heartbeat" in the pipe when the pressure regulator cuts in. It's just like an arterial pulse you could feel in your wrist. I guess 25 years of that (the BX was on an E plate) eventually causes fatigue in the pipe.

Sunday saw us doing loads of Lexia sessions on early XMs and Sunday evening I did a quick front seal replacement on a leaky Bosch diesel pump Paul had brought down following my discovery of a very well priced source of these seals. Paul tells me it's good :D

This weekend I finally took possession of my new V6. I'd made the deal some long while back in that I asked for first refusal of this particular car if it ever came up for sale and when it did, I snapped it up :D It was well worth it too as it is truly a cracker. It's an early MK2, Mauritius blue with a cream leather interior. It has 61,000 genuine miles on the clock, a full FSH and it drive just like a new car :D I am absolutely delighted with it and even the cruise control works faultlessly. Sunday was the first time I'd ever tried cruise control and I love it. It was a boon in the M25 and M1 roadworks :D

My new V6 comes with excellent provenance: it's an ex-DickieG car! says it all. Thanks a million Richard :D

My new V6 is a keeper and reserved for long trips only; my MK1 V6 will continue in its daily driver role. Comparing the two, my MK1 with 173,000 miles on the clock is still very good overall although, for reasons I know, the gearbox is not as smooth as in the new MK2. That one is so smooth the gear changes are imperceptible. One thing I shall do very soon is get the cruise control working on my MK1. I never realised just how wonderful it was until I finally experienced it :roll: I have an aim to take my MK1 past 200K...

Finally, as reported elseware, Robyn passed her driving test today. Never have I known my daughter to be so excited and happy :D Same goes for me. I'm rather happy and proud too!
0 x
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 14 Sep 2010, 22:15

I'm pleased you're happy with your new V6, hopefully she'll give you many years of excellent service without hassle just as she did for me or should I say Dawn [-o< Have you plugged in your Lexia yet to see the additional features you can access on a S2?

Please pass on my congratulations to Robyn for passing her test.
0 x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH