Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 10 Jul 2010, 07:36

CitroJim wrote:It was a joy to take the red one out for a spin this evening and cool down in the Arcticness of the aircon :D

The aircon in that car is much colder than any other Xantia for some reason, ideal in this weather.

CitroJim wrote: also found the new rear corners being 190 bars above what they should be makes for a slightly softer ride but without any apparent ill effects in the handling department.

Are you sure about that, 190 bars above? I'll be standing well away from that car next time you visit in addition to wearing a ballistic vest and helmet :lol:
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 10 Jul 2010, 09:24

Hopefully you mean 10 bars Jim? :lol:

You can't beat AC in this weather, mine is never off.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 10 Jul 2010, 12:25

CitroJim wrote:
XantiaMan wrote:From just outside Norwich to... just outside Norwich. Didnt think it would make much difference.

<expletive deleted> I thought you'd moved a fair way away too Gareth., which is why I didn't get in contact. We were a bit pushed for time at the end as Robyn was due at a Guide camp later that day. Had I known you were so close I'd have definitely paid a visit especially as we nipped across to Dave's house and he's only about five minutes from UEA.

Never to worry, I have a feeling I'll be a frequent visitor to your fair city in future so can make up for it then.

Anyway, how's life treating you Gareth?

Well next time your in the area, make sure you give me a bell. Dave is in Hellesdon, i'm in Bowthorpe, right next to each other.

All fine here, car and van both behaving well, Vicky only has 3 more months till she gives birth (a girl) and work has been consistent, so i couldnt ask for much more!
0x

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 10 Jul 2010, 13:12

Jim your a legend :lol: ....i can just picture you tearing away from the barrier to freedom....

A triumph for man over the system :)
0x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 10 Jul 2010, 13:44

vince wrote:Jim your a legend :lol: ....i can just picture you tearing away from the barrier to freedom....

A triumph for man over the system :)

I saw this yesterday, must be related to Jim :)

Went to take a car to MOT this morning, thought I'd stop off at the petrol station for some fuel and give it a blast with the jet wash whilst I was there. Stuck the fuel in, went in to pay and get a code for the jet wash whilst I was in. Sorted it and got in my car, just as I was heading to the jet wash area someone was reversing into it in a new Discovery, so I waved my ticket and he just stared, so I got out and politely told him I'd just got a ticket. He immediately went into a huff and went along the lines of "you should have parked here first" to which I said (still politely) sorry there's no signs or anything, just get it shifted and I'll not take two minutes. He refused to do so, so after a bit of verbal, I noticed there was a fair bit of give on the hose, so I just pulled around him and keyed in my code, washing my car next to his. Meanwhile he walked around arguing and getting in the way as much as possible, then noticed I had no tax. I told him he was on his way to an MOT so I didn't need it, but he went "Well, as far as I'm concerned it has no tax so I'm calling the police". This wound me up a bit, so I said to him that I would give him one last opportunity to not be such a (rhymes with hunt), explained the situation to him again and he said he didn't care and was still calling the police, so I stopped washing the car, aimed the jet wash thing at him at point blank range, hosed him down from head to toe with hot shampoo, got in my car and wheelspinned off, shouting "If you weren't such a dick maybe this wouldn't happen". He was dripping wet, surprised he didn't punch me or anything.

I wish any of that story was an exaggeration. I've got a foul temper sometimes. Anyway, the car passed its MOT. Hooray!
0x

Jackie Evancho

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 10 Jul 2010, 15:44

Good on them, some poeple need putting in their place slightly at times :lol:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 10 Jul 2010, 16:42

OK, you can all come out from the bomb shelters now.... 190 bars was a typo :lol: I meant 10 bars!

myglaren wrote:I saw this yesterday, must be related to Jim :)

Loved that tale Steve, great stuff! I'm never bad-tempered though and said very little to yoof except to ask him if he'd kindly lift the barrier. I just sat there looking at him for most of the time. He made of me precisely what he wanted to...

When I get the bit between my teeth (as I did) It's best not to push it too far.
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Jul 2010, 10:30

Where have I been? I'll come to that in a bit...

Firstly, what a cracker of a show the National was :D I was especially pleased at how the technical session went. I did a talk on Hydractive suspension and used my red Activa as the demo car on a ramp in the restoration workshop at the heritage museum.

I could have gone on for longer than my allotted hour and as it was I over-ran a bit and we were chased out by the CX mob who were next up on the ramp :lol:

I've been on holiday. Not your normal kind of sit on a beach sort of holiday but one where I did something rather more productive: I pulled my house right apart from top to bottom; giving everything a well-deserved refresh and a tidy-up and junk clearance like no other. Rattiva and I made 11 or 12 trips (lost count in all honesty) to the dump with rubbish and junk I'd accumulated over the years.

I now have a lovely clean, tidy and very uncluttered house. The garden and workshop did not escape the scorched-earth policy either and now I n longer have a spare V6 engine behaving as a roundabout in the garage. It's now tucked away nicely and disguised as a workbench!

I've also taken a bit of time out to reappraise life in general. Fundamentally I've been doing too much, hence the house getting in such a state, and generally I've been neglecting things due to trying to spread myself a bit too thinly between work, family and Citroens. The former two are critically important and must receive the bulk of my attention and time. Things came to an ugly head when Robyn asked me again to look at her 206 and she had to wait for far too long for me to get round to it. Happy she was not! Accusations flew as expected and it made me smell the coffee... To cap it all, I was suffering exhaustion and so was my V6. It was well overdue for an oil change and the auxillary belt (pointed out to me by Citroenmad's dad at the national last weekend) looked a bit odd. In the event the belt appeared fundamentally OK and the tensioners were fine so the marks on it may well just have been from a poor quality belt or as a result of it clearing rust from the jockey wheels after a period of disuse in the recent past. I've fitted a new belt now (a Gates one) and I'll see how it goes. I need the V6 relaible as I need to take Robyn to Guide camp in Leeds next week.

So, from now on, my involvement will be scaled back somewhat so that I may concentrate most of my energies on family, work and keeping this house from becoming a pigsty again so if I don't seem as active here as usual and cannot get the spanners out at the drop of a hat, you know why.

That said, I've just submitted copy for the September Xantia Files column in the "Citroenian" (CCC magazine) and finally got around to answering a few posts on here. I've a lot of catching up to do but that has to wait a while now; I have a 206 I must go and look at.
0x
Jim

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer » 25 Jul 2010, 22:12

Good for you Jim!

We've been having a clearout ahead of our first baby (due in September). At the last count, we've tipped about 15 bags of rubbish and paper, and filled the newly boarded loft up, and the house is still a tip! Getting there though...

It's all about priorities. I find sometimes that I'm unconciously prioritising the wrong things, and taking a step back can be useful to see that. Family must come first for me, and therefore beery nights in front of the computer will be a thing of the past soon. It's all good though! :D

Take care,

James
0x
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 25 Jul 2010, 23:07

If you'd popped passed our old house tonight Jim you'd have seen about 10 bags waiting for the dustmen tomorrow (hope they take them!).

We took so much stuff up to the tip, much of it handed over for them to sell which we feel is much better than sending decent goods to landfill.

If you know anyone who wants a washing machine let me know as the new place has one so we've got to ditch our old one which is in good working order and had it's bearings replaced last year. Otherwise next door have said they'll put it into storage.
Likewise with a 21" 4:3 Philips TV.

Our dining chairs and coffee table were left out to vanish via the New Bradwell removal service (chavs do have a use).
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 26 Jul 2010, 11:28

Its always good to clean everything out jim, i even have a box in the garage now after carpeting it full of scrap metal to take when i get activa back on the road :D

If your going to leeds give me a bell and your more than welcome to stop by at any point as well :)
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

jgra1
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Honda VFR800 Fix
Honda Goldwing 1500/6 old and gold

Post by jgra1 » 26 Jul 2010, 12:01

a spare V6 engine behaving as a roundabout in the garage.

got that problem to Jim :D .. think I will strip the heads from it, do a post mortem to find out what happened, and throw the block away.. seems a shame as that's probably a good bit.. but sick of it in the way now...

Hope you get the 206 sorted :twisted:
John
0x

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 26 Jul 2010, 12:03

jgra1 wrote:Hope you get the 206 sorted :twisted:
John

Put the V6 in the 206. Both problems resolved :D
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

jgra1
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Honda VFR800 Fix
Honda Goldwing 1500/6 old and gold

Post by jgra1 » 26 Jul 2010, 12:05

:D
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Jul 2010, 09:03

Xac wrote:
jgra1 wrote:Hope you get the 206 sorted :twisted:
John

Put the V6 in the 206. Both problems resolved :D

:lol: I did think of popping it in Project Activa and in theory it would fit the 206, just but no, it's tucked away under a (soon to be) new workbench with a canvas sheet over it and you abrely know it is there :D

Anyway, just imagine trying to insure Robyn on a modifed 206 fitted with a 3.0 V6.

John, seems a shame to throw a V6 away but then again, unlike their forebears, they are pretty bombproof generally and the chances of one being needed are a bit unlikely. I keep one about because mine has racked up 171K now. It's still in very fine fettle, touch-wood...

Sorted Robyn's 206. She was having trouble selecting gears when it was hot. Checked the oil and found some prat had (over) filled the gearbox with Dexron ATF :twisted: Not surprisingly, a drain and refill of nice BV75W-80 has made a bit of a difference..

Did a few other little jobs on it and it's running very sweetly now. A 206 is no Xantia though and every time I drive it I just pine for my Xantia...

She's got her next test in September and drove us around Milton Keynes in the rush-hour last evening and she's really doing well.

MK in the rush hour is a terrifying place...
0x
Jim