Upload images from Mobile

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

NewcastleFalcon

Upload images from Mobile

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Can this be made easy and obvious from the normal posting screen :?:

POTD has had a recent dalliance into such matters summarised in my post here
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 21:24 If participation is to be encouraged, and most people take pics with their mobile devices uploading those pics to a forum post should be easy to do and obvious from the normal posting screen. Anyway its one for the folk who know more about it than me and I interpret Vic's point that there are ways round it but not everyone can be bothered, and if it is possible the forum should make it as easy to upload a pic from a mobile, as it is from a laptop.

Another laptop upload success, Haven't loaded a single pic from a mobile seeing as I haven't got one. For those who have a mobile does the upload from mobile little button not work :?:

POTD signs of Spring March 2024
Wild Woodland Primrose and the FCF "Upload from Mobile" button
Apparently the "upload from mobile" button only appears with the Microsoft edge browser.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated...and if "ways round the problem" could be automated behind a simple press of a selection button titled "upload image from mobile" as an option on the posting screen so much the better.

I am one of the few people in the country who doesn't have a mobile phone so the status quo works fine for me, but increasingly everyone else uses their phone as camera so if the forum can make the process as seamless as possible
it would be a good thing.

Thanks

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Upload images from Mobile

Post by myglaren »

Apple may have a similar thing in Safari.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What you have referred to above is nothing to do with the Forum or a Mobile Neil - it is a Browser-specific feature on transferring an image from a mobile first and then uploading to a website and is not a normal procedure for uploading to the FCF.

That example above has an option for transferring an image from a mobile and from there to upload to whatever site that is from the laptop / PC. To do that, though, an individual would need to have a phone physically connected to computer or via a Bluetooth connection, all the permissions set etc., which is nothing to do with this Forum, but may be a general feature of a certain browser. Our Forum allows direct uploading from mobiles the same as for a desktop PC / MAC in any case, so is not required.

The procedure is the same from either a Desktop or a Mobile - the only difference being where the images are stored on the mobile or whether you first take a new picture with the camera to upload afterwards.

For an iPhone as an example
  • Use the Editor & Preview button when replying to, or creating a post regardless of device / browser being used.
  • Select the Attachments tab at the bottom
  • Then use the Add Files button to locate the photo on the mobile device.
  • On an iPhone, pressing Add Files brings up the following sub-menu menu on the iPhone: 'Photo Library', 'Take Photo' or 'Choose Files.
  • From there it's a simple matter of selecting the images or taking a photo and following the instructions on the device to add the selected image or take the photo, after which it will be uploaded to the Forum as usual and can be placed in the post where needed.
It will be similar for Android devices - but the process is the same as for a PC or MAC user - only the location and process of selecting the desired image changes and that is from the mobile end, not the Forum side.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks Marc that seems easy enough.

So anyone with a mobile phone (Android or I-phone...er already out my depth now!) making a post from that mobile phone, its a piece of cake just do the attachments/add files and it lets you browse the mobile for the files and add them to your post.

Maybe the perceived difficulties are when you have the photos on your phone, but are writing your post on a laptop or a desktop. Edit I think you covered that too Marc! Thanks

Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 24 Mar 2024, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Correct.

If you want to physically transfer images form a mobile to a PC, then you would use whatever programme you normally use to transfer photos over to your PC or MAC if you want to do that - via cable or Bluetooth. In the Case of a MAC though, the photos can be stored in iCloud automatically, so will already be available on an iPhone or MAC as they are synchronised.

Similar setups can be used on Windows PCs using something like Onedrive for example - but as you can see this is going off into the realms of photo / cloud storage, synchronisation and the like which is not something we can go into here.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have no trouble uploading directly from the mobile, other than the screen being small so its easy to misskey and is too fiddley for my liking. However you can still suffer the rotation problem if you upload portrait photos, not a problem if, like me, you take them in landscape in the first place. :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!