Can you help?...Forum Search facility

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

NewcastleFalcon

Can you help?...Forum Search facility

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

One way or another I can usually frame a search query to get what I want but have to admit I'm stuck.

I have started a new thread with the view of occasionally digging up the posts made on a particular date, selecting one, and bringing it forward into the thread......yes complete madness. When you do look back though there has been some tremendous content posted up here over the years, by many contributors and its to all intents and purposes available but lost to new users.

My new thread is "On this Day....FCF Archives revisited"
Question

Is it possible to frame a query on the FCF search facility to select only those posts made on a specific date?
I can work round it for my own posts....simply select my username and sort it by post date. I have not yet found a way of selecting everyone's posts on a specific date. That would be useful if only for the purposes of that thread.

Is it possible?

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 03 Jan 2019, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Can you help?...Forum Search facility

Post by myglaren »

Ideally use Google advanced search where a lot of fairly specific parameters can be used.
Screenshot_2019-01-03 Google Advanced Search.png
Open Google page, hit "Settings" on bottom right and "Advanced Search"
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Steve

It searches for "words" or character strings and even if you "hit" or chance on the correct date format it doesnt return a complete list of the posts on a particular date as far as I can tell.

regards Neil

eg 01/01/2019 in a google search on the forum produces ony 2 posts when there were 10 active topics and no doubt more than 10 posts (which as yet I havent found a way of isolating in a search query so cant be sure!)
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There is currently no way of doing this within phpBB, there have been several suggestions over the years to add such a facility, but the phpBB developers never picked it up.

These days it would be implemented as a phpBB extension. It would be a relatively easy one to write, but I have a big backlog of extensions to write and finish, so can't promise to do it myself. - but I will add it to my list.

It is of course possible for an administrator to do an sql search of the database to find posts within a date range, but the results are not in a user-friendly format, and I would not want that as a regular task.
NewcastleFalcon

xantia_v6 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 18:17 There is currently no way of doing this within phpBB, there have been several suggestions over the years to add such a facility, but the phpBB developers never picked it up.

Thanks. Nice to know that, and no need to tailor anything on my account. Easy enough to work around as necessary.

Regards Neil

Ps did come across this in my meanderings,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omgili

This crawler based, vertical search engine, scans millions of online discussions worldwide in over 100,000 boards and forums, and is able to differentiate between discussion entities, such as, title, topic, answer and post date.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey