Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by superloopy »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I'm only aware of it from the 'sent from Tapatalk' note on the bottom of many posts, I don't use a smart phone, have no use for one, all my internet is done from my desktop.

The security problems mentioned are I think needed to be considered, it may seem that stuff posted on here is insignificant but scammers/crooks use tiny bits of information gathered from many sources to build profiles of their potential victims and any access to any private stuff that they can get should if possible be blocked.
You need to minimise the oportunity of such a risk by NOT exposing your personal data in the first place. Never post up details which could compromise. No 'actual' dates of birth or real phone numbers. Employ a dedicated email address to direct all potential spam to. I only use actual data on a few 'institutionalised' sites which i need to, trusting them to handle my data securely although on occasions this isn't always the case. Certainly 'wider' internet exposure on forums and the like i would expect the risk to my data to be higher and manage that risk myself as i think DavieM has already mentioned. Why should, what are effectively 'anonymised' public chat rooms, hold ANY of my confidential data that could compromise anyway? All of this 'admin-speak' about security being compromised and scare stories regarding malware are just that. Manage your own online presence, secure your smartphone with an effective virus/malware scanner and dont rely on forum administration to do it on your behalf. There's always another 'risk' just around the corner waiting to usher in the next round of admin 'controls'. I'd not worry that the personal information on our iddy biddy forum would be of interest to any data mining trojans out there although admin seem to think otherwise. We'll never know eh. Let's all just hope the site is secure in case anyone 'out there' is reading our messages [emoji23]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Last edited by superloopy on 27 May 2017, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I see you're quite expert at protecting your privacy xantiamanic, if everyone was the same there would be little need for worry but not everyone has the necessary nous to do that, consequently the providers need to do it for them.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

xantiamanic wrote:.... All of this 'admin-speak' about security being compromised and scare stories regarding malware are just that.

What part of the following do you not understand?
XantiaV6 wrote: In simple terms, Tapatalk works in a way that is quite similar to a "Trojan" malware, it takes control of parts of our site out of the control of our administrators. It is a sitting duck for a future malware attack.
This is the way Tapatalk works - it drills directly into our databases - any vulnerability in Tapatalk (as has already happened many times) is a direct gateway to both member and other forum data and is something we are no longer prepared to accept.

This admin-bashing is getting totally tiresome; despite the team putting forward positive suggestions and practical ways to help with forum access and viewing.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I see you're quite expert at protecting your privacy xantiamanic, if everyone was the same there would be little need for worry but not everyone has the necessary nous to do that, consequently the providers need to do it for them.
I am no expert, other than what i've gleaned over the years as and when threats to my personal data arise. I use my mobile for everything i do now and i'm surprised, nay shocked, at how many people do not even have the most basic of security protection on their phone these days. I would certainly take a look at your OWN protection and most definitely do not rely on third party admins, on any site, protecting you in any way.

Last edited by superloopy on 27 May 2017, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

superloopy
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by superloopy »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
xantiamanic wrote:.... All of this 'admin-speak' about security being compromised and scare stories regarding malware are just that.

What part of the following do you not understand?
XantiaV6 wrote: In simple terms, Tapatalk works in a way that is quite similar to a "Trojan" malware, it takes control of parts of our site out of the control of our administrators. It is a sitting duck for a future malware attack.
This is the way Tapatalk works - it drills directly into our databases - any vulnerability in Tapatalk (as has already happened many times) is a direct gateway to both member and other forum data and is something we are no longer prepared to accept.

This admin-bashing is getting totally tiresome; despite the team putting forward positive suggestions and practical ways to help with forum access and viewing.
What forum protection is in place to prevent a malware attack from within? Say for example a link to a compromising site from within a posted message? Just wondering whether this would be intercepted at source or whether the end user device needs to have the necessary security protection installed?

Mike

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

xantiamanic wrote: What forum protection is in place to prevent a malware attack from within? Say for example a link to a compromising site from within a posted message? Just wondering whether this would be intercepted at source or whether the end user device needs to have the necessary security protection installed?

We go to some length to prevent malware attacks on, or via our web sites. The removal of Tapatalk is mostly for this purpose.

It is of course possible for any user to embed a link in a post to an external site that is infected by malware, but that is true of 99% of web sites that allow users to post links. Users should always have an appropriate anti-virus product installed on any device that they use for browsing the internet or receiving emails.

If a web site (such as this one) were hacked and became infected with malware, it could infect machines (especially windows machines running Microsoft browsers) even without users having to click a link. This is one of the types of attack that we aim to avoid.

For further information on malware and how to protect yourself, I suggest that you use a search engine.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I am going to make one more suggestion. Please, if it becomes necessary to make any changes to the forum, would it be possible to explain the changes in ENGLISH, and not in technical language, and to clearly explain WHY those changes are required? It is possible that, had it happened in this thread, people would not have become so heated.

I used to teach computer maintenance to long term unemployed people years ago. Something I learned very quickly was to explain things clearly. I NEVER assumed the students were stupid (after all, they had to take a logical aptitude test just to be accepted), but that they did not have the knowledge to understand technical terms (this was what they had come to learn). Using clear analogies often helped them to understand the basics well enough that, when we got into the major technical materials, they had enough knowledge to make sense of the new and interesting stuff.

Somebody once said something like "It take one to start a war, but two to make a peace". If we can make sure that clear communications are used to explain necessary changes people are less likely to get upset. Using techno babble confuses those who do not understand, and this will anger them.

After what happened recently I can understand WHY the changes are needed, but I have some technical knowledge (not lots, but some). Members with no technical knowledge may not understand, and may feel they are being talked down to. If people with technical knowledge explain in simple terms WHY something has to happen everybody will understand.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 28 May 2017, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:..... If people with technical knowledge explain in simple terms WHY something has to happen everybody will understand.

Agreed, everyone with a reasonable mindset would be quite satisfied in that case...
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Could the increase font size option which is active on the test forum please be implemented on the real forum ASAP thanks. I am attempting to not use TT but even on my largest tablet am struggling to read things
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

daviemck2006 wrote:Could the increase font size option which is active on the test forum please be implemented on the real forum ASAP thanks. I am attempting to not use TT but even on my largest tablet am struggling to read things

I have commented on this in a new topic viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57820 dedicated to this new feature.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I am going to make one more suggestion. Please, if it becomes necessary to make any changes to the forum, would it be possible to explain the changes in ENGLISH, and not in technical language, and to clearly explain WHY those changes are required? It is possible that, had it happened in this thread, people would not have become so heated.

I used to teach computer maintenance to long term unemployed people years ago. Something I learned very quickly was to explain things clearly. I NEVER assumed the students were stupid (after all, they had to take a logical aptitude test just to be accepted), but that they did not have the knowledge to understand technical terms (this was what they had come to learn). Using clear analogies often helped them to understand the basics well enough that, when we got into the major technical materials, they had enough knowledge to make sense of the new and interesting stuff.

Somebody once said something like "It take one to start a war, but two to make a peace". If we can make sure that clear communications are used to explain necessary changes people are less likely to get upset. Using techno babble confuses those who do not understand, and this will anger them.

After what happened recently I can understand WHY the changes are needed, but I have some technical knowledge (not lots, but some). Members with no technical knowledge may not understand, and may feel they are being talked down to. If people with technical knowledge explain in simple terms WHY something has to happen everybody will understand.
James ... just not possible mate. "Techy" people are either incapable or reluctant to explain in plain english what it is they are proposing in case it exposes them to further questioning. Their role is akin to a case of 'the emperors new clothes' or the 'wizard of oz' hiding behind a curtain. Keeps everyone, well the majority, believing they know what they are doing. That's my generalised view of technicians, especially those who seem to think they know their subject. I was once a team leader for a government SAN team so i know the ropes when it comes to keeping everyone in the dark and on message!

Mike

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Then I am the exception that proves the rule. For several years I taught computer maintenance to people who were long term unemployed (and most of them understood what I was talking about), and for 12 years I have been in the EPoS support role. I can explain to our clients (when they ask) technical information clearly by the usage of analogies. All it takes is time to think things through, and the willingness to explain.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

xantiamanic wrote:"Techy" people are either incapable or reluctant to explain in plain english [sic] what it is they are proposing in case it exposes them to further questioning.
How dare you. As a graduate ex-teacher of technology and media, who moved into the print industry at age 40, I spent my entire working life explaining, training and educating young and not-so-young in how things worked, and how they could work for them. And doing it successfully.

If it weren't for 'techy' people, you wouldn't be able to do all manner of things you now take for granted. Sorry to say this, but I think you might be happier elsewhere now.
Chris
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

white exec wrote:
xantiamanic wrote:"Techy" people are either incapable or reluctant to explain in plain english [sic] what it is they are proposing in case it exposes them to further questioning.
How dare you. As a graduate ex-teacher of technology and media, who moved into the print industry at age 40, I spent my entire working life explaining, training and educating young and not-so-young in how things worked, and how they could work for them. And doing it successfully.

If it weren't for 'techy' people, you wouldn't be able to do all manner of things you now take for granted. Sorry to say this, but I think you might be happier elsewhere now.
Ok. You win ... let's just say 'most techy people' or 'in my opinion' for political correctness then as obviously you do not fit that mould given your alleged background. I've met and worked with an awful lot of your peers who do fit that mold though ... horses for courses. As for moving on, maybe but no guarantees when TT support ends. This forum was an admirable place until a couple of years ago when 'techy minded' people moved in and started taking things in another direction. No explanation of changes they were, and still are to my mind, fixated on implementing. A new broom, new ideas. No apologies when the members voted them down and now a total lack of communication when it comes to ending TT support other than it is 'non-negotiable' in advance of any notification. 'Thats it' attitude. I have seen forum activity dwindle to almost no daily postings on some days, yes, i do keep an eye out and read almost all of the forum activity. Sad i know but what used to be a thriving forum is now no more than a bit of banter between the usual suspects on most days, often just personal chit chat. Why is that do you 'techy types' think? Citroen cars just no longer in vogue or some other reason maybe? I care for this forum, having been a member for many more years than my current moniker suggests. You're angry at my remarks but i'm even angrier at the people making decisions theses days about the forum future directions. Talk to the members, please!

Last edited by superloopy on 28 May 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Speak for yourself. Totally sad that you have taken to name calling and insulting members' abilities here because you don't like the outcome.

There are plenty of posts coming into the Forum every day, which you would know if you spent even a fraction of your time helping others like the rest of us instead of moaning and criticising everyone who does not share your viewpoint.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc