Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This forum's software will shortly be upgraded to a new version of phpBB (v3.2.0). This will ensure the long term stability and support of the forum. However, as one of the measures to improve the ongoing security of the site, the Tapatalk interface will be permanently disabled.

We realise that this will cause some upset to the few users who still use Tapatalk as their primary means of access to the forum, but unfortunately Tapatalk is (technically and through business practices) too much of a risk to the security of our databases and member confidentiality. Note that Tapatalk was originally added to the forum because at that time it was the only sensible means of using the forum on a small-screen device, such as a phone. For some time now, the forum software itself has included adaptive formatting so that it is convenient to view and use the forum in any web browser.

Further announcements will follow with the dates of change over, currently expected to be in June 2017.

For those not already using a browser on their mobile phones or tablets to access the Forum, the following screenshots show the Forum adapts to varying displays to show content and menus. Mozilla Firefox and Safari Browsers shown but will be similar for other browsers on IOS, Android and Windows phones.
Please click the images to zoom
This is Portrait View on an iPhone 6 Plus, note that the menu on the top right, circled, is collapsed to show more content:
Portrait Menu Collapsed
Portrait Menu Collapsed
Clicking the icon expands the menu
Portrait Expanded Menu
Portrait Expanded Menu
Rotating the phone to Landscape view now removes the collapsed menu as it is able to display it in full:
Landscape View Showing Full Menu Options
Landscape View Showing Full Menu Options
This is a Portrait view when creating a post using the Full Editor:
Posting in Portrait View
Posting in Portrait View
Landscape view of Post using full editor:
Posting in Landscape view
Posting in Landscape view
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 24 Feb 2018, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed stickyness
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickeymoon

Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by mickeymoon »

Well, that's me done!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

That will be the end of me on my favourite forum. I just cannot follow it on the phone through a browser, i have tried and failed. Im totally devastated to hear this. I think this is another thing decided by one co puter whizz kid withought any thought to the forum users and there should be a vote on it amongst members.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Me too ... i'm in a lot of grief atm, gallstones and bl##dy debilitating, and cant get on my pc at all. I've only just happened on this proposed lack of support via TT and can only say that it's yet another backward step in my opinion. So TT's days on every other forum is numbered? C'mon now ... I very much doubt it. Someone needs to tell our admin team that they'll not grow the membership with moves of this sort! I expected it after the last debacle of trying to 'iconise' the forum. Will they never learn! I'll try and tidy up my presence on the forum as soon as i'm well again, respond to messages of which i have a few, apologies, remove my account and then bow out. Well done to the admins who seem hellbent on destroying the forum. I'll move across to FB. Davie ...you can forget about a vote on this as it seems to me to be purely a vindictive response to the last vote which the whizz kid admin(s) lost comprehensively. Just accept that the forum is now purely a toy to be be played with by the techie few. Shame, but it has gone downhill very rapidly since we seem to have 'acquired' a fresh breed of admin staff, or is it just down to one person i still wonder. Give it up people, it's finished. Everything comes to an end. Throw your towels in and teach the admin(s) a lesson! They dont want us TT users and dont seem to understand that there are thousands of forums which still manage to interact with TT seamlessly. Maybe its just that they cant be bothered to support our forum for the benefit of all of the membership. Is TT just too much hassle to support? Seems a self centred policy to me.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Last edited by superloopy on 22 May 2017, 20:05, edited 5 times in total.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

daviemck2006 wrote:That will be the end of me on my favourite forum. I just cannot follow it on the phone through a browser, i have tried and failed. Im totally devastated to hear this. I think this is another thing decided by one co puter whizz kid withought any thought to the forum users and there should be a vote on it amongst members.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

The decision to discontinue support for tapatalk is solely due to security concerns, and is not negotiable.
The forum administrators have been discussing this for more than a year, and given our commitment to site security, Tapatalk adds a huge security hole into our database and web server and in the current world it is no longer a technically acceptable solution.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

You're having a laugh here aren't you? Who do you think you are with your 'non negotiable' stance. The forum IS the membership. where's the democracy in your last statement? You'll end up suporting a dead forum which no one visits if you continue with this line. Personally I have nothing of a confidential nature on this forum which isnt also propagated across virtually every other site that i visit. Site security, what is that statement a cover for? What is it that you consider poses a great risk to 'member confidentially' and 'database security' that the continued use of TT impinges on and why? Just do your job well, manage your backups and minimise the risk that way. TT is used by more of us on here than you think.

Last edited by superloopy on 22 May 2017, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: Discontinuation of Tapatalk Support

Post by daviemck2006 »

xantiamanic wrote:You're having a laugh here aren't you? Who do you think you are with your 'non negotiable' stance. The forum IS the membership. where's the democracy in your last statement? I have nothing of a confidential nature on this forum which isnt propagated across virtually every other site that i visit. What is it that you consider poses a great risk to 'member confidentially' and 'database security' that the continued use of TT impinges on and why?

I agree with this entirely. If things are getting "non negitiable" that has put the forum down in my estimation by nearly 100% I do appreciate what admins do for us for no outlay, but this seems to be turning it into a dictatorship to the detriment of the forum members. I've said my piece, I will stay active for the meantime but when I can't get on via tapatalk it will be goodbye from me. I cannot deal with stress and have to walk away from stress and I can't follow the forum on my Samsung phone using a browser nearly as effectively as tapatalk and I don't and never will own a computer or laptop. Therfore as part of my no stress outlook if I disappear altogether it will be goodbye and thanks for the memories

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

A "secure forum" is non negotiable for me....

I would not stay if it was NOT secure.

Why would/should TapTalk users wish/dictate to me the use of a non secure site ?

Is there really zero alternative to TapTalk ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Whilst I can genuinely understand some users being unhappy about the retraction of the Tapatalk service, I'd suggest they do a little web searching to find out why it might be wise for the Admins to withdraw Tapatalk functionality. A web search on - for example - 'Tapatalk security issues' might prove enlightening..... but not in a good way :shock:
I'd see this as a 'no win' situation for the Admins : Keep Tapatalk and you have very real security issues. Remove Tapatalk and you upset some users. If there was an alternative, I'm sure they'd implement it.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There may be some minor enhancements that can be made to the "small-screen" web interface of the forum which would make navigation easier.
If Tapatalk users can describe specific functionality that they would like to see, we will investigate it.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm on a browser on my phone just now to give it another try. This is the first thing that I looked at. One of my biggest issues which I found impossible before on a browser but simplicity itself via tapatalk is posting photos that i have taken on the phone, which is every pic I have taken and posted for a long time.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

The size of the text is much smaller and more difficult to read, and as I am going through the unread posts it's not marking them as read as I go along. Both things annoying me at the moment.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's a link here that can show you how to increase the font size in IOS iPhones, tablets, Windows and Android phones:
https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/category ... or-tablet/

Next, when you want to attach a photo, when you click the add files from the 'attachments' option, on Windows and iPhones it will give you the option to upload from your phone's picture library:
IOS Picture Upload
IOS Picture Upload
... and on a Windows phone:
Add Image on Windows Phone
Add Image on Windows Phone

Marc
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I've tried everything and can't get the size of the font increased on my phone. It's a Samsung galaxy core so not the most sophisticated of things or the biggest screen. Just now I'm on a tablet which is bigger.the small font makes the forum near enough unusable on the phone for me. Haven't tried photos yet, but I will.

I went from a browser which said I had no unread posts direct on to tapatalk which then found 4 unread posts. So an inconsistency somewhere. I am not impressed. At least I am trying. (some say very trying)

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have you tried to do this on your phone?
'SETTINGS';
'ACCESSIBILITY';
then put a tick on 'LARGE TEXT'

Re updates - the difference is that your Browser won't refresh automatically while the page is static. It will generally refresh when you click on another link or post, select a menu option or manually refresh it.

Marc