Attention Virginmedia customers

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

Xaccers
My Cars:

Attention Virginmedia customers

Post by Xaccers »

Back in the days of NTL, they used to run a load of Inktomi transparent proxy servers, basically a bunch of over worked under powered servers that would fetch the web pages you were after and pass them to you, except when more often than not they didn't work.
Quite often if the proxy you were going through was feeling poorly, web browsing would be extremely slow and pages wouldn't load properly.
The solution was to manually set a proxy in your browser hoping to find one on NTL's network that was in a better state than your local one (often picking one at the other end of the country would result in faster browsing!).

Over the past couple of years, they've re-introduced transparent proxies by the looks of things, and as before they can get overloaded.
So if you're a Virginmedia customer on what used to be NTL or Telewest's networks, and have problems with websites loading properly, then try setting cache.virginmedia.com port 3128 or 8080 in your browser settings.

How to configure your browser
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Re: Attention Virginmedia customers

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Zac,
Very good post on setting proxy settings. But for a puter learner like me, where does one find proxy address and port, please. Not got a clue as to where to look.
Thanks,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I did do a screenshot of my poxy settings as they are now. But every folder I put it in (after pasting in Word 10 ), bloody Photo ?ucket can't see it. Not there. Close bucket, and it re-appears where I put it. Bloody frustrating. Pigging computers.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Assuming your using Internet Explorer, you need to go to the Tools menu (the cog in the top right on the newer version)
Go to Internet Options
Connections tab at the top
LAN Settings at the bottom
Tick the Use a proxy server for your LAN box and type the bits and pieces in there.

Firefox is slightly different
Tools Menu
Options
Advanced cog icon
Network tab
Settings in the connections section
Click on Manual proxy settings
Type the bits and pieces in the HTTP proxy box
Click Use this proxy server for all protocols.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The link in my first post gives detailed instructions including pictures of how to configure IE, Firefox and Opera.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello Xac,

yes the engine is running beautifully its the ancillaries that are the problem.

I was having a lot of trouble with packet loss whilst on VM Cable 50meg broardband.
for three months I had 100% packet loss every 30 mins I now have a superhub which solved the problem immediately
their standard hubs are prone to packet loss it is an on-going fault that has never been addressed properly it has something to do with the signal from their base in Northampton.

regards,
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.