The New Forum Server is On Line!

Forum News, Announcements and any issues you're having with the forum

Moderator: myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'll not speak too soon but I'm rather happy with how it's turned out. For the first time in what seems ages I've used the form properly this evening and it's a real joy to use now. It is very noticeably quicker for me and smoother.

This evening it appears to be a lot busier than usual, as is the BXC...

That can only be a good sign.

Is everybody getting mail from the forum such as post reply amd PM alerts?

Fings are still crossed though although the nerves can relax a bit.

My server here, despite being sick, held out for the critical period and continues to do so even though it can now throw the towel in if it wishes. Whatever, it'll be treated to a rebuild over Christmas as a reward for sterling service :D

One thing I shall continue to do is to take backups even though it means me logging into the server remotely and running commands (until I script them) and FTP'ing down some 200Mb of data every morning for safe storage. Be aware that for a few minutes at around 05:15 'ish this job may make the forum run slowly.

I'm still very niggled that the ONE morning I did not do a backup was the day the server crashed an we lost posts :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Still pondering a phpBB upgrade?

I'm gradually getting used to it on another forum. A couple of handy tools are topic merges (for mods and above), and the "memory" it retains of which posts have been read - and which haven't.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Still pondering a phpBB upgrade?
Next project Adam, as the new server has plenty of power in reserve, but I'm gioing to give it all a good chance to settle down and bed-in first. I'm a bit forumed-out at present :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

Nice one with this Jim!
It's running like lightning on my PC.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Deanxm wrote
"i still have the blobs though"

i'd go and get that looked at Dean, are they red or green TEA HE

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sir!

Malcom has nicked my chevrons! :shock:

I earlier saw someone with a ladder, acting suspiciously near my address bar. It has to be him, because the culprit left a trail of Percy Wotsit...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote
"Malcom has nicked my chevrons"

no not i im a good boy honest

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Working here, now I have removed the reference to the old IP address from my hosts file.... :oops: Seems to be much better - so far none of the old problems where it wouldn't work on the wireless connection (which I am pretty sure is a hardware fault on the router, one day I'll get around to buying another one....!)
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Working here, now I have removed the reference to the old IP address from my hosts file.... :oops: Seems to be much better - so far none of the old problems where it wouldn't work on the wireless connection (which I am pretty sure is a hardware fault on the router, one day I'll get around to buying another one....!)
That's good Richard :D

But why did you have the IP address in the hosts file? It's a bit dangerous as the old IP address was shared with other websites and forums (notably the BXC) and it was sheer luck that the FCF responded correctly to such a lookup method. Always best to use DNS. This may have been why the wireless misbehaved.

The new FCF is on an exclusive IP of 109.104.80.156 now but the BXC remains on a shared IP of 109.104.80.157 along with xantiav6.co.uk and xantiaactiva.co.uk.

Using .157 will be a good test of your router going to a shared address.
Jim

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

citronut wrote:Deanxm wrote
"i still have the blobs though"

i'd go and get that looked at Dean, are they red or green TEA HE

regards malcolm
:lol: its Citroenitis Malcolm, and there is no cure 8)

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Just done a reboot on the home latop and the chevrons arrived!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote:Just done a reboot on the home latop and the chevrons arrived!
Excellent :D

Had a terrible shock this afternoon on my way home from work. A text to say the forum seemed to be going slowly

#-o [-o< :-s

In the event all seems OK on the forum. Snow on the lines I expect...
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's been consistently faster than AussieFrogs here, since the changeover. Maybe their server is just taking it easy in the heat of a Queensland summer? (Where's the "Smilie drinking a Piña Colada" emoticon when you need it?)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Webfusion say it has a bigger Internet pipe than Kevin Bloody Wilson's mouth Adam, so that may be one reason for the speed.

Looked at Aussiefrogs the other day. It was so slow here as to be almost unusable. Maybe as you say, relaxing in the QLD sunshine whilst ours is running around trying to keep warm...
Jim