Er Guess What?

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Er Guess What?

Post by ghostrider »

Ok so having spent more hours on the phone and net I finally had to give in and pay citroen their ransom demand to get my air con going again.
The pipe from the compressor to condensor was just a smidge short of ?200!!![V][V][xx(][xx(] even the guys in the spares dept were very apologetic.
So now it is all reconnected I thought before I put the new dryer bottle on I would air pressure test the system for leaks to avoid yet more expense from a regas that leaks away, any idea what pressure the aircon runs at?
Pete
________
CZECHOSLOVAKIAN COOKING
Last edited by ghostrider on 25 Feb 2011, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Suction side runs about 0 - 10 psi when operating but gets a fair bit higher when stopped.
Discharge side can be anything up to approx 200 psi but be warned, if you start pumping straight air into it, you may also pump a heap of moisture/condensation in also and create more problems than you solve.
Most good air/con mechanics purge the system and leak test using dehydrated nitrogen through a pressure regulator. If a regulator isn't used they can blow the whole shooting match to kingdom come due to the extremely high pressures the bottles contain.
Alan S
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks for that Alan, I had a feeling that moisture might be a problem, Should I leave putting the new dryer bottle into the circuit until the guy turns up to recharge it?
Pete
________
Video Review
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If it were me; I'd be pulling a vacuum on the system and leaving it at that until it's charge up time. That way you stand a chance of both pulling any moisture out of the system and/or into the dryer. Also if it's pulled down on to full vacuum, an experienced mechanic will be able to tell when his gauges are put on it whether there's a leak in the system or in fact even if there's any residual moisture there. Before removing the old dryer, he should then do a light charge of nitro so as to prevent it sucking a gutful of air and hence potentially moisture in before fitting the new dryer, evacuating again and then recharging.
I know I might sound a bit over the top as regards moisture and air in systems, but after you've experienced the nightmares both can cause, you tend to become a real old woman about these things.
I'll go back to my knitting now!![}:)][:D]
Alan S