Xantia Air Conditioning

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

Xantia Air Conditioning

Post by weety »

Hello there fellow citroen owning dudes
i have had citroens since year dot (my first car was the old 652 cc visa) and have finally got a xantia with air con......except as its a citroen it has the usual range of electrical problems.
now i have solved most of them but my air con well here goes...
the fan switches work very very intermitantly (of course they worked on the test drive but only rarely since then) when the fans are set to auto and they should be working sometimes you get a sort of ticking rattling noise from the middle panel (but no smoke or fire yet)
the actual fan unit itself looks to be newish (from the stickers on it 2000) and given a live feed it happily spins away to itself.
on a seperate (or maybe connected note) the temparature sensor doesnt seem to work- on its coldest setting it seems to run the cabin temparature to hot, on its hottest setting it alternates between chucking out hot air and freezing air (which methinks is probably not how citroen intended it to work)
so do i have one problem or two? and would changing the fan unit fix it (i have noticed they cosy about £100 and even scrapppies seem to want tons for them)
any help advice or steers in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The temperature sensor is fitted behind the alarm LED, air is drawn over it by way of a small fan which may be the noise you can hear in the 'middle panel'. Get this sorted out first, the small fan is well known for causing problems such as being noisy. If air is not being drawn over the sensor then the aircon cannot function reliably.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

thanks i will get busy with my blunt screwdrivers tomorrow
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

well i ripped out (i mean carefully removed) the led unit (must remember to reset the clock now) and discovered a spinning fan (which i take it is good) it seems to spin all the time that the ignition is on and isnt noisy how do i check it is working ok??
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">on a seperate (or maybe connected note) the temparature sensor doesnt seem to work- on its coldest setting it seems to run the cabin temparature to hot, on its hottest setting it alternates between chucking out hot air and freezing air<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In the owners handbook it says that the automatic temperature regulation doesn't work when the temp control is set to min or max, you have to specify a tempertature.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Are you talking about the fan in the passenger comptartment or the cooling fans which run when the air con is engaged?
Pete
________
Motorcycle Tires
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i meant the internal fan, the external fans seem to work properly (well they spin round anyway)
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i will try setting it to a temperature somewhere in the middle-unfortuntaely didnt get owners guide when i got car (got a strange sticky mess under one of the seats though!)
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Do you want me to scan the A/c workings from my owner's guide and email to you?
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

that would be great if you could do that mate cheers
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Can you post your email address?
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

sure thing its