Xantia Air con Intermittent

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Xantia Air con Intermittent

Post by ghostrider »

Having read all the relevant posts, anyone got any thoughts on the following problem
Xantia 1.9td VSX 1997, Air con works fine when engine cold, engine hot ,no chance, or very intermittent.
As you look at the front of the car no matter how hot the engine gets the RH fan never runs, the LH fan cuts in at full speed when the temp gets to about 90 on the temp gauge.
When the engine is cold the air con triggers the LH fan at full speed. Having visited the Pug site mentioned here, in conjunction with the Haynes book of lies, it seems that the two fans should run in series at about half speed as the first stage in the cooling cycle, triggered by the first temperature on the Bitron sensor, the second stage changes the fans to parallel wiring and they then run at full speed and as far as I understand this also triggers the A/C cut off relay.
If I disconnect the Bitron as I understand it the fans should both run at Max speed as a safety measure against Bitron failure. When I disconnect Bitron only LH fan runs, conclusion RH Fan U/S? which would also explain no half speed as fans are in series.....
I have another 1.9 TD with air con same vintage, if I disconnect Bitron both fans do indeed run flat out and if I then turn off the ignition both fans continue to run at half speed until the Bitron is reconnected. Also the air con evaporater is cooled by the RH fan on this one.
The only unknown is the A/C Control module, where is it? the book of lies for myBX gave location diagrams for all the control units the Xantia manual is less than helpful in this respect [xx(][xx(]
Finally if it is the fan U/S how the F******* hell do you get it out? without either dismantling half the front of the car to remove the front panel or draining the cooling system and removing rad, intercooler and then hope that there is enough play in the evaporater connections to move that out the way as well[}:)][}:)][}:)]
Thanks Pete
________
LIVE SEX
Last edited by ghostrider on 12 Aug 2011, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

check that theres no corrosion on the relays or their connectors located in between the two fans under the plastic cover.if thats ok it's more than likely a faulty fan motor.
as for changing the fan motors,if you use one of these spanners you can change the motors without removing the bumper or the radiator/condensor/intercooler assembly,just unclip them at the top & push the assembly back a little.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks Wheeler, can you get at the wiring OK? looks like a great time saver
Pete
________
Weed