Xantia HDi Exclusive Heater flap query

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Xantia HDi Exclusive Heater flap query

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hi All,

I've just acquired a W plate HDi Exclusive. I've fixed a couple of the minor niggles, but as is usual, the big one is still left to resolve.

Simply put, the heater is stuck on "hot". I believe the temperature control has become disconnected from the flap which controls the temperature somewhere in the depths of the dashboard. The A/C, blower fan and the control to direct the air all work fine, I just can't change the temperature. Not really a problem at the moment as it's freezing, but it's going to get annoying when the weather warms up.

Has anyone taken one of these apart to fix a similar issue, or does anyone have any diagrams? I'm not even bothered about fixing it "properly" as long as I can get at the flap to change the temp reasonably easily when I need to..

thanks for your time

Mike
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The first obvious thing to check is that the little fan motor behind the vent slots at the far left of the "wooden" panel is running as its purpose is to draw cabin air across a thermometer located behind it which controls the heater temperature, access is gained by removing the radio.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Thanks Dickie.

The fan is turning. I know from the previous owner that it had a new heater matrix fitted last year at some point, and it's been stuck on "warm" since then. On my Activa, when I moved the temperature control, I could hear electrickery noises, on the HDi, I hear nothing. I've been led to believe that there's a flap down the back of the radio or some other hateful place that isn't moving as it should.

The aircon works - if the car is misted up and I switch it on, it clears pretty much instantly. Now the weather is getting warmer I suppose I'm going to have to be brave and start taking the dash apart. Not something I'm looking forward too!

cheers

Mike
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

you will have to take the heater contol box out and unclip the lid to make sure the cable is connected that end but first take the glove box out and the carpet trim below it and on the right hand side of the passenger footwell up under the dash is the heater diverter flap, not too bad to get at, they just have not hooked the cable up after doing the matrix, unless its got climate in which case ignore all that :lol: it will be a servo motor getting sticky.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Deanxm wrote:you will have to take the heater contol box out and unclip the lid to make sure the cable is connected that end but first take the glove box out and the carpet trim below it and on the right hand side of the passenger footwell up under the dash is the heater diverter flap, not too bad to get at, they just have not hooked the cable up after doing the matrix, unless its got climate in which case ignore all that :lol: it will be a servo motor getting sticky.

D
Cheers Dean - where exactly is this flap? I can't locate it and I'm getting warm now .

It's a HDi exclusive with climate. I'm pretty sure I found the issue the other day when I stuck my hand under the central heater box and found a stepper motor and some plastic bits.

I'm not particularly bothered about having full control over it. I'll be happy if I can set it to "cool" now until November...then "hot" again over Winter. It's done near 200k now, and unless a good, working heater box with all the motors appears, I'm not spending money or wasting time taking it apart:-)

thanks for the help!
Mike