Air Conditioning servicing

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swiss_steve
My Cars:

Air Conditioning servicing

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi all,

The A/C on my Xantia has been pronounced 'dead' by learned people, due to leaks in the system.

Now I've since been trying to read up on possible fixes to get cold air again, but I can't find any information on where all the 'O' ring seals can be found to replace with new. Has anyone got an idea where I can find this nugget of information, please?

Also, I've been told the dryer has seen better days - any clues where I can get one without spending more than the residual value of the car, please? All suggestions welcome!!

Cheers,

Steve
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: Air Conditioning servicing

Post by cachaciero »

swiss_steve wrote:Hi all,

The A/C on my Xantia has been pronounced 'dead' by learned people, due to leaks in the system.

Now I've since been trying to read up on possible fixes to get cold air again, but I can't find any information on where all the 'O' ring seals can be found to replace with new. Has anyone got an idea where I can find this nugget of information, please?

Also, I've been told the dryer has seen better days - any clues where I can get one without spending more than the residual value of the car, please? All suggestions welcome!!

Cheers,

Steve

I am sorry to say that the dryer is likely to be the least of your problems, the dryer itself will not be leaking and leaks are your main problem and likely are more than just problems with couplings.
You need to find these and to do that requires pressure sources and gauges.

If the system has been open to air for a considerable period than it is quite possible that you will need a new condenser matrix a new evaporator matrix (heater unit disassembly) and quite probably new shaft seals on the compressor all this will make the cost of a dryer pale into insignificance.

As a first step if you have the gear, pump the system up with compressed air to about 140 / 200 psi then follow the pipes and start painting soapy water over all the couplings in the system, spray soapy water onto the condenser matrix and look for bubbling you can find quite small leaks using this system, although not the smallest, when you find them fix them.
When you can't find anymore leaks using this system try and see how long the system will hold air at 200Psi if it appears to be holding or with a very low leak rate circa 1psi a day come back here for the next phase :-)

Cachaciero