Air con help!

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetherave
My Cars:

Air con help!

Post by davetherave »

As i believe my air con is buggered, i think its the clutch on the compressor as i hear a kind of metal on metal noise when i start it or turn it off. It was only regassed recently (ie 1 month)
I am thinking of getting a new compressor, does it matter which one or are they inter changeable? (xantia mk 2 1.9td)

Another question, when i do turn it on, the glass shows that gas is flowing, so would this indicate that the compressor is not at fault, or just partially buggered?
Any help appreciated cheers!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The noise sounds like the clutch.
The compressor works because the glass shows flow.
If it puts out plenty of cold air, it’s working normally.

A new compressor costs more than several used cars.
A used compressor must have been properly sealed for storage if it’s to be useable again.

Clutch topics here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19794

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21571
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

It did work normally when it was regassed about a month ago, but then it just stopped, the hose from the gas bottle gets slightly cold, but there is no noticible difference in the temperature of the air!
Thanks for the links though!
Think ill have a look at compressor and see if i can find out what model it is!
GPZ500s
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Just been under the car and turned the air con on, it makes the metal on metal noise and no gas is flowing now.

I got some numbers off of it S.A.E J639
and part 1135290

Also with engine running, the actual pully on the compressor doesnt seem to spin, it moves very slowly or not at all :? which makes me think the belt is slipping??

Does anyone have any idea what compressor i could replace this with, ie does it have to be the same or could i replace it with a different one (thinking a sanden 1227 second hand one).
GPZ500s
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When TehAgent's compressor burst into flames due to the clutch bearings going, we looked at the local scrap yard for a replacement.
The two type we found had different incompatible fittings for the pipes.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The hose from the gas bottle being slightly cold makes me think of a restricted bottle.
Outgoing cold is a sign of decompression, or expansion of gas into a relative vacuum.
The bottle’s purpose is to absorb moisture from the circuit.
If it’s very restricted or blocked, there will be no flow, and the compressor will be pumping hard against it, making for an unhappy clutch.
When everything is normal, one of the compressor pipes is cold enough to be covered in condensation, even by very hot weather.
This picture shows an opaque window at the left, a sign that the bottle is saturated:

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Hmm thanks for that, it was only regassed by quick fit recently, so i dont think its over saturation, and now it doesnt even get slightly cold and no gas is flowing which makes me think clutch.

I have found a second hand one from a c5 with correct part number for 40 quid, so i was thinking scene as it is a bit newer it might be good! is 40 quid reasonable for a second hand one?
GPZ500s
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A "regas" does not include the drier unit being replaced. They basically just pump more gas in until the pressure gauge says to stop.

Your drier may well be full of water.

Franchised stores are a hit-and-miss, muffler-based ones being often the worst. They ignore things they don't understand, and try to sell you up on the things they reckon you're able to be milked for.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Fair point, they did tell me that they took all gas out with a vacuum then put new in would this have taken the water out?
GPZ500s
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

davetherave wrote:Fair point, they did tell me that they took all gas out with a vacuum then put new in would this have taken the water out?
Not 100% sure but reckon if the dryer is full a vacuum wont remove it :( :(

Im pretty sure i have a reciever/dryer in the Xantia Spares Depts(shed/loft) that you are welcome to have if thats any help

Colin
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The drier is a sacrificial item. One that's been used and then stored, is sadly worthless (other than as a source of part numbers).

The good thing about driers, is, you'll find a generic item that will be a close or exact fit. Your new one will be sealed, and probably pressurised slightly with an inert gas. Don't open it until the system is being serviced by a techie, and the new drier installed.

p.s. Shop hard; they are cheap in name brands if you persevere.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Cheers addo, i was going to ask if a new one was better, ill shop around tonight. I was going to get kwik fit to vaccum the system then fit the compressor and dryer then get take it back to have it re gassed!

Hopefully it will be ice cold then for the south of france! Anyone have any idea of what temp it should blow when all done?
GPZ500s
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Think it’s something like 4ºC at the dash centre vents.
The compressor doesn’t work at full capacity when the engine is idling … at least not on the Xantia.

When the circuit is full and clean, there are small clear bubbles in the sight glass soon after switching the aircon on.
If there’s brown froth instead, it’s low on gas.

If it doesn’t put out any cold after a recent re-gas, what did Krap Fit take your money for ?
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

It did put out cold, it was (what i thought was great after having none) 12 degrees! but then 2 weeks later it died, so i guess the clutch was on its way out, :twisted: which means ill have to pay all over again :evil: !
GPZ500s
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Have found a dryer that claims to be the right one on internet for 25 quid does this sound reasonable?
GPZ500s