Green fluid- no aircon

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Green fluid- no aircon

Post by lazza » 25 Mar 2009, 18:44

Dear Forum

I think i'm in the right category for aircon issues.

Basically last year I had to get the aircon filled up with whatever they fill it up with. It lasted all the summer (I'm in Spain, so it´s quite important :))

However, i noticed Green fluid leaking from it when I was under the car last year. And now, the aircon isnt working, and I presume it was the aircon fluid leaking and now it's empty.... ??

... is it possible to fix this kind of thing yourself, or should I just get it filled and hope it lasts the summer again... or are there any other options?

Thanks alot
Larry
0x
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer

h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler » 26 Mar 2009, 01:53

Hi
The Green fluid is not from the aircon but from the hydraulic system, it is known to have a leak detection fluid put in AC systems but there is such a small amount put in that it would not drip out and it would glow under UV light.
Check the level in the fluid tank under the bonnet as it may be low, if you can get under the car (with axle stands) have a look around to see where it is leaking.
When the AC stops working it is the gas leaking out but it wouldnt drip, do you run your AC through the winter at all, a small leak can drop the amount of gas enough to stop it working but just require a topup can from Halfrauds to get it going again.
Rob
0x
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED

lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza » 26 Mar 2009, 18:37

Hi Rob

thanks for your reply.. i was almost certain it was coming from the AC compressor, and it is more of a fluorescent green. But I will have another look.

I'm in Spain so i do use the aircon alot, however, it was a very cold winter and I havent used it since november.

No halfords here, that kind of thing is underprovided, but will look around...

cheers
Larry
0x
Living in exile in Spain

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 26 Mar 2009, 19:05

Would suggest that someone in the past has added leak detector to the A/C gas, one of my cars has it.
Check through the inspection window and see if you can see any gas or bubbles through there.
Do your radiator fans work?
How much would it cost to have it checked professionally?
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza » 27 Mar 2009, 11:18

Unfortunately here, they are all scheisters, so I think they would just charge me the earth for nothing.

I think i'll just get it filled again, and hope it lasts all summer... is it bad for the Environment, leaking gas?

thanks
Larry
0x
Living in exile in Spain

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 27 Mar 2009, 12:26

You or the car? :shock: Methane is certainly a contributor to the Greenhouse effect...

If the aircon's lost efficaciousness that fast already, I suspect component failure of some sort, meaning that it won't really work at all well with a regas. I know XMs can have the evaporator unit corrode and leak.

If you can borrow a black light, look at the aircon drain hole (passenger side, toeboard area near the centre floor hump) for significant traces of the fluorescing dye.

Cheers, Adam.
0x