Xsara 2.0 HDI 90bhp Aircon button light not staying on etc..

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Xsara 2.0 HDI 90bhp Aircon button light not staying on etc..

Post by Nuneatonrob » 22 Jul 2008, 19:36

First of all hello to everyone as I am a newbie to the site.

I have a 99 Xsara 2.0 HDI 90 SX and the air con is confusing me...firstly when you hit the button, the light comes on but won't stay lit. This has obviously been like it for some time, as there are marks round the button, where the previous owner has used something to 'wedge' the switch 'down' to keep the light on. I have pressed the switch down, and the compressor kicked in, but no cold air, and a strange sort of whistling noise from behind the dash is apparent. Anyway, during the course of trying to rectify a strange whirring noise from round the aux drive belt area, my mechanic said it was due to a faulty compressor...today he has come round, and replaced the compressor, (which hasn't got rid of the noise...he now thinks it's the alternator) and evacuated the system by simply undoing the pipes off the back of the compressor....(after reading a few posts on here..not the best idea)...anyway it's booked in for a regas tomorrow...it must hold some pressure as when he slackened the bolt for the pipes a lot of gas seemed to escape...anyway, the point of this post is to find out whether or not the light on the a/c button should stay lit regardless or gas in the system, and if so what could be causing it to not stay lit. Any advise would be really appreciated as i've already wasted money on a compressor for no reason!!!

Cheers,

Rob
0x

howiedean
My Cars:

Re: Xsara 2.0 HDI 90bhp Aircon button light not staying on e

Post by howiedean » 23 Jul 2008, 18:29

Nuneatonrob wrote:First of all hello to everyone as I am a newbie to the site.

I have a 99 Xsara 2.0 HDI 90 SX and the air con is confusing me...firstly when you hit the button, the light comes on but won't stay lit. This has obviously been like it for some time, as there are marks round the button, where the previous owner has used something to 'wedge' the switch 'down' to keep the light on. I have pressed the switch down, and the compressor kicked in, but no cold air, and a strange sort of whistling noise from behind the dash is apparent. Anyway, during the course of trying to rectify a strange whirring noise from round the aux drive belt area, my mechanic said it was due to a faulty compressor...today he has come round, and replaced the compressor, (which hasn't got rid of the noise...he now thinks it's the alternator) and evacuated the system by simply undoing the pipes off the back of the compressor....(after reading a few posts on here..not the best idea)...anyway it's booked in for a regas tomorrow...it must hold some pressure as when he slackened the bolt for the pipes a lot of gas seemed to escape...anyway, the point of this post is to find out whether or not the light on the a/c button should stay lit regardless or gas in the system, and if so what could be causing it to not stay lit. Any advise would be really appreciated as i've already wasted money on a compressor for no reason!!!

Cheers,

Rob

Hmmm, some dodgy fault investigation going on. Did he run the engine with the Aux drive belt off to confirm that it is one of the Aux systems?
Also when you switch on the Air Con does/did the clutch engage before the system switch off (Green light)?
Did the Air Con work with the switch wedged previously (as it will now need a regass/oil check)?
Could there be a relay problem causing the light to switch off as the system is not latching on, even with low gas the light normally remains lit?
Sorry one last question are you trying to find the noise or fix the Air Con, or both?

Regards

Howie
0x
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob » 21 Aug 2008, 13:39

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback...It turned out to be the alternator that was making the noise, not the A/C compressor!!! So wasted money there. And as regards the A/C switch light not staying on, I have found the the switch does not disengage correctly, I found the best way to deal with this is to 'flick' my finger off the switch and the switch pops out rapidly and disengages, so engages properly the next time round.

On the plus side, I had the air con regassed, and it all seems to be working fine. Had it on again today and it's still blowing out ice cold!!

I took it to Kwikfit and £44.95 and a hour and a half later it was working, albeit at first with my finger holding the switch down!

Thanks for the reply Howie!!

Rob
0x