134a gas

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

134a gas

Post by Xaccers »

Can anyone post a photo of the aircon filling valve?
Also, does anyone know if anything is added to the 134a gas or is it just the gas?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

When I took my car to the mechanic for a gas top up, he removed the old gas, then filled it again and replaced the oil. I don't know if this is the standard procedure.

As for the picture, let me get home and I will post one.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Hey, whoa on there a minute.........if you don't know where it's filled, should you be trying to DIY?
Refrigeration gases, particularly modern day ones can be quite dangerous as they are charged into the system in liquid form via the discharge side and if not connected properly will either end up in the atmosphere or if you try to stop them, give you the greatest dose of frost bite you've ever seen. It can also mean you can do irrepairable damage to the system if you either get air, moisture or any contaminents in them and if the gas you put in is incompatable with the oil and hoses etc, can cause a catastrophic failure of the compressor and the seals and "O" rings.
The 134a fittings are unique and not like the old schraeder fittings of old and r134a is a known carcinogen.
To be refilled properly, the system needs to be evacuated of all remaining gas and pulled into vacuum. If there has been a leak, that needs to be found prior to regassing or you're just wasting money and time as it will just leak out again. Most common spots to find leaks is usually around fittings where the "O" rings have collapsed, but at any time, look for signs of oil stains. That's the usual giveaway for the location of a leak.
I'd suggest that the best option is one of the new "green" gases that are beginning to take hold on the market and are harmless, cheaper and get so cold you would not believe it and are far less troublesome as regards changing components and oil etc to be compatable.

http://archive.greenpeace.org/ozone/greenfreeze/

They can also be bought in 300 gram throwaway cans which is the amount needed for the average regas and instructions on the can should make it much easier and safer than flying blind and/or using 134a.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Thanks for the info Alan, I only ask as 134a is used in some low powered airsoft pistols so is relatively cheap, so it just peaked my curiosity.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

When I bought my C5 the aircon was great but packed in after a couple of weeks.
As we are now approaching the warmer part of the year it occurs to me that it might be time to be cosidering doing something about this.

If anyone has recommendations for aircon savvy places around Newcastle/Sunderland/Durham I would be pleased to hear about them.
Also if anyone has had their aircon tinkered with, what are the approximate prices.
I'm hoping it just need regassing but am prepared to be dissapointed on that score.

I should probably open the bonnet and have a look but I'm not sure that would acheive much :D

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered - did a search and got over 2100 hits.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

cant help with anyone in your location myglaren,but the gut i use down here charges about£75 for a regass
this includes doing a pressure/leak test and then drain + refill with gas and oil

if he cant regass due to a bad leak he charges half price and then will just charge regass if you get leak fixed

colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks admiral51, that sounds quite reasonable. Might be worth it for the three days of hot weather we are likely to get this year :)