1999 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate Climate Control.

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

splitpin
My Cars:

1999 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate Climate Control.

Post by splitpin »

Hi all, can anyone tell me if there is a way to check the A/C system. I have read somewhere that if the system is low on refridgerant then it wont allow the compressor to cut in. Everything else with the heating seems to work. Also, is the temperature display for exterior or temp within the car because it seems to read a lot higher than the temperature really is. It was reading 34ºC the other day. It cant have been more than 20ºC. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Graham.
Xantia II 1.9TD SX Estate.
1999 'T' 230,000 miles and rising!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Gas down, the HP/LT control steps in and prevents the compressor starting so as to prevent damage.
Can be tested by bridging the wires to the switch for a few moments and switchoing the air/con on with th engine running.
If the compressor then engages and fans start etc, you should see bubbles in the sight glass on top of the receiver dryer, unless it's bone dry.
Get it leak tested and recharged and that should sort it.

Don't be fooled by the reading on the car thermometer in comparison with the predicted temperature.
Temperatures we gat quoted and predicted are supposedly "in the shade" temps whereas the sensor for the cars thermometer is located IIRC inside the rear view mirror on the passengers side. As a result, you can have other factors contributing to it such as reflection off the road etc.
Highest I ever had on mine was 12 months ago when it hit 50 degrres in western Queensland and when I got out of the car, I could feel no reason to argue with that..."It ain't arf 'ot Mum" wasn't in it! :shock: :oops:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
splitpin
My Cars:

Post by splitpin »

alan s wrote: Can be tested by bridging the wires to the switch for a few moments and switchoing the air/con on with th engine running.
Which of the wires need to be bridged? Is it all 4 or just a pair?
Many Thanks
Graham.
splitpin
My Cars:

Post by splitpin »

I have bridged all 4 wires from HP/LP switch. With engine running, but A/C switced off, the compressor clutch cut in and only the LH fan (when sitting in drivers seat) cut in and on full power. Switching the A/C on from inside the car made no change. Therefore, I make the assumption that the system needs recharging.
Reading other threads on this subject do you think I should check the 3 relays between the two fans 1st, or is there another route I should be taking.
Many thanks.
Graham.
howzat
My Cars:

Post by howzat »

Both fans should run together . They are connected in series for low speed and parallel for high.Cloggz has provided a cicuit diagram in reply to my problem (Xantia air con always on) which appears below yours. This shows how the fans are wired.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It's usually the two heavier gauge wires, in my case they were both yellow IIRC, but when I posted this a while back, it seems this can change model to model. Mine were the 2 centre ones. Easy to find with a piece of bared fairly solid copper wire. No real risk of fuse blowing as we're dealing with make and break so unless you have it touching something that is - such as bodywork, it either goes or it doesn't.
It has to be turned on inside the car and engine running and if it starts, immediately look at the sight glass to see how much froth is flowing through as this is an indication of the gas charge.
Immediately that is ascertained, just remove the bridging from the wires so as to prevent any chance of damage to the system.
If bridging this has no effect, then the switch and the gas charge can be eliminated as a possible cause.
I also note you say only ONE fan turns on. This is not correct; both should, so I suspect you may have a problem with the actual fan itself. I suggest you remove both fans and check as it is usually the case that if one fan is not operating, the other isn't too far behind. They usually wear out together.
Over here, this is an expensive exercise given the prices of the fans, so I rebuilt mine, but I have had it said by some over there that fans are cheap enough for that not to be an option. Price some fans first and then you decide.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=10752

When you get the fans out and see the amount of work involved, I'm certain you'll understand the wisdom of doing both whilst you're there. :shock:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389