fan stopped

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zxr750

fan stopped

Post by zxr750 »

Hi
ive just brought a xsara sx 1.6 petrol
heater was only working at times. so i bit th bullet and brought a resistor cause it had stopped all together and it was capped in carbon
and now its still not working. ive powered fan from a battery and it workd
i have 13-14 volts betweeen red and black on the 4 block terminal going to resistor
but only 1.3 at the 2 pin plug as it goes into the motor.
Any ideas
thanks paul
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This refers to a Xantia, so I'm not too certain if the same applies to a Xsara but there's sure to be someone here who might be able to tell us.
Works 99% of the time with the Xantia, so should be worth at least checking out.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17322

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
zxr750

Post by zxr750 »

yeah i did see that, but my xsara has air con,
i thought about doing a scothlock with a wire from fag lighter to red power wire on 4 block terminal, but the lighter seems permenant live.
My rear demister still works
ive got fan all down, cig lighter out, column shrouds of, all ready to do. just need some guideance. it all points to ignition switch as cant get movement on voltage by moving about.
does the main red feed go via switch dials??
whats small wire that links on to the motor.
cheers
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

zxr750 wrote:yeah i did see that, but my xsara has air con,
i thought about doing a scothlock with a wire from fag lighter to red power wire on 4 block terminal, but the lighter seems permenant live.
My rear demister still works
ive got fan all down, cig lighter out, column shrouds of, all ready to do. just need some guideance. it all points to ignition switch as cant get movement on voltage by moving about.
does the main red feed go via switch dials??
whats small wire that links on to the motor.
cheers
If you read part of my posting on that link, you'll see this is an air/con car we're talking about:
As I live in the tropics, I really should get it done but haven't ventured into the wiring so far because I don't have a wiring diagram and I'm not sure where the wire is on the ignition switch, but inevitably it'll crack up on me on a 40 degree day and I'll have to sort it.
You are correct in the reasoning that the problem stems from the ignition switch and yes a new (expensive) switch will temporarily fix the problem, but at the end of the day, you will still have a high current draw passing theough the contacts in the switch and given the age and degredation of the wires and other parts of the air/con system, the possibility of another premature failure exists more so than with the original switch.
The idea here is to take that load completely away from the switch which results in a more reliable supply of power as well as extending the life of the switch itself.
If taking power from the cig lighter is used and if the lighter doesn't turn off with the ignition, then at a pinch, an isolator switch could be installed to do the same job.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
zxr750

Post by zxr750 »

yay its fixed took power of radio so it works with ignition, not on perm. piggy backed, with a inline fusejust to be sure direct in to the red power lead on 4 plug connector works a treat :)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Going by the Xantia BoL electric maps it mightn’t be good for long because it looks like you now switch the high fan current with the switch contact that also feeds the ignition and injection.
That contact switches everything that’s meant to operate on the key’s ‘accessory’ and ‘ignition’ positions.
You could be stranded just because the interior fan is dragging down the feed needed to keep the engine running, and we’re back to Alan’s explanation above, about the inadequacy of the switch to carry the fan current.
If the car stops, :shock: first thing: switching the fan off.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389