Xantia 2 evaporator p/n needed

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sanvean
My Cars:

Xantia 2 evaporator p/n needed

Post by Sanvean »

Hi!

I am a almost happy owner of Citroen Xantia 2 Break SX 1.8i. I have some troubles with A/C in my car and I need to replace the evaporator, but I do not know the exact partnumber of this part. I know, that in Xantia 1 the p/n of the evaporator is 95667987, but I am not sure, that this p/n is also used in Xantia 2. Can anyone tell me a right p/n of the evaporator for Xantia 2?

Thank you!
Citroen Xantia Break SX 1.8i 16V
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sanvean,

Are you certain you need an evaporator or do you need a heater matrix?
I'm not trying to be silly, but apart from the fact that your neck of the woods is better known for its low temps than for its high ones, whereas where I am is the opposite, I can't say that I've ever heard of anyone ever needing an evaporator for one of these, in fact rarely do we ever hear of it on any car.
If the problem is in the evaporator area, is it the evaporator or the T/X (thermostatic expansion) valve that is needed as they have much more problems with T/X valves leaking than they do with evaporators failing.
BTW, welcome to the forum. We don't get many Russian contributors.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Sanvean
My Cars:

Post by Sanvean »

Hi Alan,

I can understand your doubts, it is really cold sometimes here. For example, yesterday the gang of bears has robbed the liquor store near my house (just imagine, it is the center of Moscow). They have stolen two boxes of vodka, they have used to warm up. But in the summer it is very hot here (+30 Celsius is a usual thing), so we have some charitable organizations, that are shaving bears in the summer, which prevents poor creatures from overheating. :wink:

Now seriosly: Unfortunately, the repair station does not know exactly which part of the A/C is leaking, so I try to measure all my possible spendings, before I take a decision, what to do: to try repair A/C or to buy another car. I also hope, that T/X valve has failed, because it is the cheapest part of the entire system.

Thank you for the welcome, I will try to contribute well.
Citroen Xantia Break SX 1.8i 16V
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

About the only way an evaporator can fail is if it either is punctured in an accident, comes loose and rubs through a pipe or somehow manages to get corroded, but either way, it is extremely rare for one to need replacing, in fact, I have been a refrigeration/airconditioning mechanic for many years and I can't remember ever having replaced one.
By contrast, a T/X valve usually has a diaphram on the top of it which is made of copper and has an anodised coating over it, so looks silver, and it is made of sheet copper and is around <50mm diameter and has pressure increasing and decreasing internally all the time particularly when operating, as a result the outer case can get a hair crack along the seam and cause it to leak gas particularly when it's not operating due to the increase in back pressure in that region.
If your repairer doesn't have a suitable leak detector, I suggest he gives it a shot of tracer dye and recharges the system, exposes all the fittings including the T/X valve and shines a UV light over it looking for leaks.
My bet is if it's in the region of the evaporator, it'll be the T/X.
I can't tell you where to find the T/X on a Xantia, but I do know it was located behind a black plastic cover plate behind the glovebox on a BX. :wink:

Alan S

P.S. Sounds like your bears are like our Kangaroos.
Foreigners expect to see them wandering around in downtown Moscow like our tourists expect to bump into them on the steps of the Sydney Opera House. :wink: :shock: :twisted:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!