How do i replace a 306 Condensor?

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

How do i replace a 306 Condensor?

Post by DHallworth »

Got the new condenser this afternoon.

Was just wondering what the best way to fit it is.

Car is a 2000 HDI 306.

Thanks!

David.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think you have to remove the radiator first - which might be a pig if it's got the silly connection on the bottom hose. You might also find the bottom of the rad is rusted out, and this is a good time to change it. You can then remove the condenser , but you need a special tool to break the joint at the outlet end. Check carefully also the pipe from the compressor to the condenser - these rot out where they are clamped to the front cross member.
Richard W
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

thanks for the reply!

I have already replaced both of those pipes, but didn't anticipate the condensor going aswell!!

David.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Keep any signs of moisture away from it when the system is opened, be sure to use new green "O" rings and if it lost all it's gas in a rush when it went or if it has been driven in the elements with the hole in the condensor, fit a new receiver dryer at the same time (fitting new "O" rinds to it as well.
Might sound a bit extravagent but these systems are so touchy as regards moisture contamination, look upon this more as an investment than an expense.
Regards fitting, usually on most cars you can slacken the radiator and move it to and fro to gain access; I don't know the set up on your Pug, but often it's a case of pegs sitting into grummets at the bottom and a couple of bolts holding a plate across the top. Usually fairly simple and self explanatory when you look at it closely.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

thanks for the advice.

I bought a new drier at the same time. £12 from ECP.

I got quoted around £60 - £70 to have the condensor changed from a local garage today. Dont know what to do, i might just take him up on it then its done.

David.