406 - No air con or internal fan!

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lesnajair
My Cars:

406 - No air con or internal fan!

Post by lesnajair »

Hi All
As above, the Mrs drove my 406 with air con switched on. After arriving home, and getting back in to go out again, the air con does not switch on, nor does the internal fan.
I've checked the fuse in the internal fusebox as well as the fuses in the engine compartment, and all are still intact. Tonight, I've totally dismantled the heater control panel to check the sliding 'rheostat' switch which has proven to be ok!
I think I've run out of other things to check! Can anyone please tell me if there is a known problem or if there is any other component to check before I have to take it to the PUG dealer who can't book me in for the next two weeks!!
Is it possible that the system needs regassing and has totally shut down? Has anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks in advance
Les
1998 406 S Reg 1.9LSTD Estate
ps. I've posted this earlier in August in the Peugeot form without success. Someone advised me that it might be the yellow relay above the bonnet release, but this is the electric window relay!!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This sounds similar to the Xantia system and as yet I haven't had the need to really go looking for it, however on the Xantia, it is either coincidental or it has built into the system a thermister or a circuit breaked with an auto reset. I say this because on a really hot day, if I switch the air/con off, leave the car for a few minutes (such as filling up at a servo) and restart, the fans don't seem to want to switch back on immediately. If I leave them and drive off for a few miles and then hit the switch, it will restart and sometimes if left in the "on" position on auto, it will eventually restart, almost as though something has turned off as a precaution to overloading the system.
As I say, this is mere speculation but is feasible when you think of the amperages being drawn by the internal and external fans and the clutch on the compressor.
Option two and just as feasible, is the lousy wiring they put in these cars may be degrading internally and the switch may just not be making contact as a result of voltage drop when hot.
If it were gas, the fans inside would still work, however with the Xantia, when it throws these funnies, like your car, all fans stop.
A thermister or thermal overload/circuit breaker simply drops out of circuit when it reaches a certain temperature (in the case of a thermister....normally wound into the outer motor windings) or with a circuit breaker/thermal overload via a bi-metal strip that will trip due to power load and break circuit. Both of these safety cut outs exist in household refrigerators and air/cons for this exact reason, so it's fair to expect they could be applied in car air-con.
If it can be ascertained if either of these (or both) are in the circuit,that's where I'd be inclined to begin searching.
Alan S
lesnajair
My Cars:

Post by lesnajair »

Thanks for the info Alan. I've got somewhere to start looking now!!
Regards
Les
lesnajair
My Cars:

Post by lesnajair »

NOW SORTED
Took it to my auto electrician, who tracked it down to the ignition switch. Ordered one from Peugeot for £52. At the last minute, I went to my local scrappy and got one for £5!!
Bonus! Now I'm happy.
Thanks to all who replied!
Les
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I have heard of that problem previously but showing different symptoms.
In some cases, the wire to the air/con is taken from the ignition switch and connected to the cigarette lighter as the wiring to that is of a higher rating than the ignition switch internals that can fail.
If the problem repeats itself, that's your other option.
Thanks for posting the end result; this makes it all so much easier for anyone having similar problems in the future.
Alan S
Lawman
My Cars:

Post by Lawman »

I own a Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 1997 with climate control air con. The only problem is that it has a mind of its own.
At the moment its running at about 3/4 speed and i can not shut it off !!!. Some times it runs about 1/4 speed and some times it work just fine.
It seems to be stuck in its own little world with the fan speed button not working at all (I can not shut it off nor change speed).
On the odd occasion it works just fine (after a week or so doing its own thing) but it only last a few days etc.
I dont want to get rid of the car, but its the wifes and you gan only guess that grief thats coming from that direction !!!!
Come to think about it she reminds me of the air con - i can not shut her up 1/2 the time either !!!!.
I would realy appreciate any ideas as to what would be causing this.
Cheers for any suggestions
Tim