A/C Not very cold.

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

A/C Not very cold.

Post by user_3150 »

Evening everyone, Have been out today with the A/C on but it isn't as cold as it was last summer. I'm due for a long drive in France soon and I would like to sort it before hand. For the record the outside temp was about 28-30 degrees. Last year it was so cold sometimes I had to turn the A/C off but now it's nothing like that. I have done a search but my only thought was a regass which may not be the problem looking at other post's. Just a note this is the first car I have ever owned with A/C and I'm not that familiar with it's operation.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Did you have the intake lever on recycle? When its really hot as it was today, then this is the only real way of getting the temperature down. Otherwise the system is constantly having to cool very hot air.
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

My aircon has been great today, When did you last have it regassed?. Also if you dont run the aircon every so often (I run mine for 10 mins a week) it can lose its gas. I'd suggest getting it serviced, old gas removed and system 'vacced' pressure tested and then refilled if the pressure test shows up now leaks.
Paul.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I didn't have recycle on (forgot about that). I only got the car last summer but judging by all the things I've had to do since owning the car (full Citroen service history hmmm!! what do they do on a service?) I would say that the A/C has never been touched so I think that a test at least is in order. Thank's for the replies.
oilyrag
My Cars:

Post by oilyrag »

have it regassed when u get 2 france. It much cheaper over there!
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I know it's been a while since my original post but just to say that our local A/C man said that Citroen's don't cool very well in built up start-stop traffic but on a run it soon does.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, Alec. Your a/c guy is right. THis is due to a characteristic of modern refrigerants. Because your aircon is actually working, albeit at low efficiency, I would advise you to look on Ebay where the popular Interdynamics refill and measuring systems are now becoming available. Fully discharged systems need another technique but partially filled ones will benefit from home regassing, which is no longer a black art. The kit and refrigerant will cost about £35.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Cheers for that Tom. Will look into it.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Alec wrote:I know it's been a while since my original post but just to say that our local A/C man said that Citroen's don't cool very well in built up start-stop traffic but on a run it soon does.
He's talking rubbish, mine was always proper chilly even on the hottest days.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

This is due to the different characteristics of R134a which has a higher discharge pressure (I'm told) The a/c is less effective in a traffic jam but on the road, it is a freezer.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Local citroen dealer in Warrington is charging £57 inc VAT for a regas. don't know whether this may be all citroen main delaers or some, might be worth checking.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

This year has been better but I am using it more. I didn't last fear as my wife wanted fresh outdoor air but with her hayfever being worse this year the aircon is on and windows shut. I did explain that the air drawn into the aircon is from outside and is also pollen filtered so is probably better than fresh "open window" air.
London luke

Post by London luke »

forget filling with these cans etc.... this wont allow the system to be vaccumed etc had my Xantia done today (1 hour) with "kuick fits! latest AC offer of only £44.95. It was cold before... now its a lot colder and no leaks !