DIY Aircon refill in a can

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks for the explanation, i considered going into the refrigeration trade at one time, but there's a huge amount to learn before you can do it properly
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Fancy trying a DIY top up my self is it just a case of screwing the connector on and leaving it to empty?
My air con is cold but having been in other cars I think it could be colder
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

And how exactly do you measure the charge you have put in from the spray can? This stuff is critical as Alan said. Find a pro who has at least ten years' experience and read Alan's postings on the subject of BX aircon, or my own correspondence with him from March to July last year so you know what the pro should be telling you.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, not wanting to stir up a hornets nest here, I just thought I'd tell you that having bought a can and topped up ( or replaced :) ) the gas in my 405, I'm quite happy with the result.

That was done nearly two months ago, and it's still working.

There is a gague on the pipe, and the idea is that you shake the can while filling - with the engine and A/C on, until the gague is in the ok zone.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

I am also tempted, as you can now get them much cheaper than Halfords. What brand did you use? Would you say it is now as cold as you would ever want it?
Chris.
2001 Xantia HDI 110, 50,000 miles
Near Beverley, E.Yorks.
Diana

Post by Diana »

Not ideal as a quick fix - but if any of you are over here in France for holidays at the start of the warmer season, a lot of garages (including our local Citroen main dealer) offer overhauls of airconditioning systems for 99€ - around £70ish.

Not practical perhaps unless you are going to be over here anyway, but perhaps a good excuse for a weekend away. You can always top up on spare bits from our scrapyards where citroens are very well represented....
London luke

Post by London luke »

I might have to visit France to get a rear hatch door for my Xantia. mechanics prices are so much cheaper. Will get them to do the brakes and suspension ,AC the lot !
waynedl99

Post by waynedl99 »

Don't have to go to france for a hatch, I got a full car sat in my garage just waiting for an excuse to strip it for parts.
All there except radiator and rear suspension is shot.
Activa too :) 2.0i Turbo.
Offers :)
Renault Safrane 3.0i V6
Citroen Xantia 2.0i Turbo VSX Estate
Citroen Xantia Activa
MOTORBIKES :)
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Left hand fan only?, Xantia 1998 TD SX aircon,

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I just got my Xantia 1.9TD SX estate last week, it has aircon but it wasnt working at all, Today driving in traffic the temperature gauge went over 100 so theres obviously an issue with the fans too, I tried Alan S s trick of bridging the two thick wires on the drier and one fan spun up to full speed (left hand one) for a few seconds then stopped. I removed the battery and separated every connector I could find, looking for the dreaded bitron unit (which I failed to locate?) a grey one clipped to the front panel with three wires proved to be dirty so a squirt and a scrape later I rebuilt it all, inspection of the aircon compressor revealed the connector to be disconnected!, clean and reconnect that and connect pressure gauge to the low pressure side reveals zero pressure, connect up the aerosol refill can and follow the instructions, warming the can with my hands and shaking regularly, as the motor warmed up the cooling fan (Left side) kept cutting in/out and then the compressor came to life :) a few more minutes of shaking the can and inside the car was getting cooler :) :) It works! but shouldnt both fans come on, presumably they are on a common circuit?
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Stewart,

I've had 2 cases in two different cars over here with that problem and in both cases it was the carbon brushes in one of the fans which had worn out.
Not an expensive fix but a right mongrel to get access to.
Br aware that with the air/con condensor producing heat, there is a tendency for air/con cars to overheat if driven in town with the air con on due to increse in load and heat coupled to decrease in air supply due to only one fan; open road @ 100 kph+ is no problem, but slow driving is.
I always do both fans when one goes to save the pain of having to repeat the job within a short space of time.

Alan S

(Edit: On a BX..........., it's a 5 minute job on one of those) :oops:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Thanks Alan, this is my first aircon car and I was surprised at how hard the fan/s run, I am off to the breakers today so will look for a fresher fan motor.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
London luke

Post by London luke »

Wayne

you have aPM !
waynedl99

Post by waynedl99 »

OK, I bit the bullet and tried 1 of these kits, Castrol, tbh, I found it a little flimsy and hard to press the button. BUT it worked, aircon compressor kicked in and overloaded the canister for a second, had to leave it, turn air con off, then turn it back on then try again, but it WORKED.

Will update on length of time it works for.
Renault Safrane 3.0i V6
Citroen Xantia 2.0i Turbo VSX Estate
Citroen Xantia Activa
MOTORBIKES :)