CX aircon.

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Tom, there is a section describing how it all works, wiring diagrams, operational checks, refilling with refrigerant for 1976 on models, I can scan it all about 10-12 pages and e-mail it to you. Would JPEG images be OK? could do PDF as an alternative, or Photshop files. I have also lost your e-mail addres that you gave me some time ago due to a hard drive failure.
It looks from the diagram as if the evaporator is in the air flow before the heater matrix, so the bunged up with dust, leaves etc would be a fair bet, but my concern is that the evap. will so disrupt the air flow as to make it very difficult to get any significant flow rates. The other thing is the recirc system looks like it adds even more pipe to the circuit,causing more problems, I also had some problems with the recirc flap not working very well, I'll cudgel the brains a bit and see if I can remeber what I did to fix it
anyway let me know your file preferences and e-mail and I'll get it off to you asap, if you can manage it before monday morning I'll do it then if not I'll not be back til next weekend. so the pics are of some use the file size for all the pages is about 4.5Mb, no problem e-mailing or could put it on cd and post it
Pete
________
30 ROCK FORUMS
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

PDF would be wonderful, Thanks! tomattomshepdotcodotuk will get it to me.
Extra fan into the evap and a tap to turn off the heater. Recirc control manually switched, Low level pipe to evap with a supplementary blower motor from a 900 Turbo
(The 2 litre sixteen valve one may just get some air through but it may have to go in the boot :-))
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Hey you could swop to a supercharger with a bleed to the ventilation system [:D][:D][:D] [:D] [:D] I'll PDF it and send it now Pete
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Here's a couple of thoughts to give you sleepless nights.
Would it be possible to fit a fan post evaporator so that it sucked in the refrigerated air and then boosted it into the cabin area?
Another thing worthy of note too is that on my 16V it has the old R12 compressor; it's an SD709 so is the largest they produce in that series.
7 piston/15cc??? So when you go looking for bits to use, that is basically the model you need or its equivalent in an R134a whish is marked something along the lines of SD15H07. I thought I'd mention this because I did a job on a Jap car the other day and going on size and capacity, its compressor wouldn't keep the glovebox cool on a CX.
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I'm hoping to use most of the bits I already have. I think the heater casing is due for a good looking at!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

I'm hoping to use most of the bits I already have. I think the heater casing is due for a good looking at!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OK now we're getting somewhere.
Take the BX fan that has the entry port for fresh air, connect it's intake to the air coming from the evaporator and direct the outlet into the ducting system on the CX.
Next problem...................how to fit the bloody thing under a CX dash!![:o)][V]
Alan S
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Spare's gonna end up in the boot, I feel it!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Spare's gonna end up in the boot, I feel it!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No, that's there for a reason; suggest considering fitting the front passengers seat in the boot and really give yourself some working room.[:D][:D][:D]
Alan S [}:)]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Man how did I miss this topic.
My Series II CX I've been thinking about fitting air-con to for some time now.
IMO the biggest hurdle will be getting any air-flow into the cabin (the interior of the Series II appears to get nothing near as hot as the series I). I was thinking a high CFM fan in the air tower itself. The series II CX has even worse air-flow than the series I. Possibly cleaning up the wiring to the fan may improve this.
What I imagine I'll end up doing (hopefully) is sourceing a rear air-con unit from a local car (they actually kick out some decent air I've discovered). Then visit the local wreckers and get the compressor, condenser, evaporator etc, etc from a modern aussie car (aussie cars have BRILLIANT air-con) and retrofit that lot with new hoses/"O"ring and lines. I'm not sure if the system will need to be changed/modified as it will be running twin evaporators.
First though before I even dream of starting all this I need to get some air-flow working. There's simply no room inside the cabin for extra fans. Possibly running two new ducts into the car from directly behind the front bumper (just like DS's) would be a dramatic increase in air-volume, that you would ONLY put through the evaporator, keeping the existing ventilation for heating only.
hmm, lots to think about.
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yep,
problems is definatly air flow. Cool/cold day here today. Another cold front has come through and it's about 20degrees (weirdest/coldest summer I've ever seen, certainly the greatest fluctuation in temperature, it'll probably be 35tommorow ... ). The sun is very bright and strong and I'm already getting quite hot under that big windscreen. As a test I wound the windows up and moved the interiors fan volume control to "loud as she'll go". I could barely feel the air against my face with every vent pointed at me. "Volume Control" is right, it only seems to adjust the sound volume of the fan, certainly not much extra air comes in.
Fitting air-con with ventilation like that is more than pointless. First I must figure out a way of getting some serious air flow into the car. hmmmmm.......
As for thoughts of fitting an air scoop to the bonnet, forget that, mine has one of them and all it does is look pretty .... Certainly it might prevent snow blocking the ventilation pickup, but that aint gonna happen here in a hurry.
seeya,
Shane L.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I reckon that most of the problem is in getting the air OUT of the car. If there was a good exit, then perhaps there would be the possibility of some decent airflow.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Simple to prove by opening the sunroof or window
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Tom did you get the scanned bits from the manual Ok? I set my tame compueter geek (wife) on it while I was away Pete
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes thank you Pete. I think that a little vacuum cleaning is first on the list, together with some rewiring of the recirc control. I may have found some wind deflectors, too.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

before you get too carried away trying to up the ante on the air circulation, take a peek at the way it is distributed via those cardboard with wire spiral reinforcement round ducts and see how many kinks there are in them and also how many have fallen out.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, trust me; when you see the first one you soon will....[:0][:(!][:(!][:p]
Alan S[;)]