Air Con Pump shutting down

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kipkenya
My Cars:

Air Con Pump shutting down

Post by kipkenya »

I've got a Xania 1996. When its hot outside, 30deg C plus the air con starts to cut out. The cooling fans work, on both low and high speed. Temperature stays bellow 80deg
Any suggestions
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Providing both fans are working correctly and not intermittently, it would be fair to expect either your system is low in gas and as a result the LP side is cutting it out prior to it going into vacuum or you have a problem with some form of contamination (moisture or scale) that has partially clogged the receiver/dryer and is causing it to shut up shop via the HP safety switch or the LP one if it is in fact pumping itself down.
I'd suggest a full evacuation, new fliter/dryer and recharge. A low charge is usually evident by the whistling from the T/X valve which would be coming from behind the dash. If low in gas, either a good checking over with a detector or a tracer dye will be needed to find and sort the leak prior to a final gas up.
Alan S
kipkenya
My Cars:

Post by kipkenya »

Its not low gas , as I had it regassed recently. But you could be on the right track.
Reciever drier, no gas or too much gas. Normaly you might expect to see a few bubbles in the reciever drier window, I'm seeing none. This could mean all the gas is gone, or too much gas. Fortunatly today only got to 24C so it was comfortable. I'll take it back to the regasser and get him to look at pressures on the next hot day. This should in the next day or so.
Got to get it working before the week end, as I'm heading out of town.
Black cars in 30+C is not comfortable without aircon.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Unfortunatly, these days, the sight glass isn't a real good guide anymore. They can be fully charged and still have bubbles in some cases.
The systems these days are normally dropped charged so the guy doing the job usually asks or knows how much gas is in the system, in the case of most Cits I think you'll find it's 1Kg so if you check your invoice from when he recharged it, that should give you some guide.
A decent leak particularly one on the high side can see the gas charge disappear as fast as it went in and if low on gas and on the assumption it was correctly filled initially, he has to go looking for the leak and fix it otherwise he's wasting your money and his time.
If the car was a BX, then I'd advise you remove the glovebox and look in the side panel near the heater matrix to see if there's any signs of oil stains. If so, the T/X has split the bellows at the top. I haven't had a Xantia out so I'm not sure if it's the same, but could imagine some similarity.
These guys servicing them, particularly in Oz seem reluctant to go looking to find leaks unless they are right under their noses.
Send us some of your 24 degrees too willya mate? About 40 in my garage last night.
Alan S