Megane TD Heater problem

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulee
My Cars:

Megane TD Heater problem

Post by Paulee »

Hi
posting this for a mate , he has a Megane TD 1998 and the heater has stopped working.The air-con works fine but no heat is coming from the heater.
He has no garage and cannot take the car off the road as he needs it every day.
On taking it to our local Renault dealer they quoted £600 - £700 to repair as they reckon they have to take all the dash out to investigate and suspect the matrix !
We have tried flushing it out to no avail and the system has no leaks and the car runs at normal operating temperature.....any ideas.....
thanks Paul..
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

To see whether the matrix is blocked have you tried pulling off the outlet pipe with the engine running in order to asses the 'flow'?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I can't speak for a Megane but traditionally Renault have had this thing about having the heater matrix higher than the coolant level in the system which is why Renault service mechanics usually have a filler cap with an extension that can be improvised by jamming a neck of a can into the filler hole and sealing with rag. Then fill via a funnel or inverted bottle fitted to it whilst bleeding the system.
If the system will flush OK then the only reason apart from the valve controlling the coolant flow being jammed closed, has to be air in the system. This extension can overcome the height difference otherwise you're trying to make water run uphill.
The dealer taking the dash out to look at the matrix is a total waste of time and money unless he can see a kinked pipe and/or can't access the temp control valve any other way.
This kind of thing can be made to do the job of filling the coolant and shifting the trapped air.
Alan S
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Thanks for those 2 replys I will look into both ideas
Paul