A/C always on.

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

A/C always on.

Post by user_3150 »

I seem to have a problem with my aircon working even if it's switched off and not on auto. If the blower is on face or windscreen I can hear the fans come on . If I turn them off the fans on the rad stop. Also if on cold it gets very cold so it definatley is on.Any ideas?
ghostrider
My Cars:

A/C always on.

Post by ghostrider »

Alec I think someone on one of the other threads mentioned that if the later air cons are switched to screen then the aircon automatically comes on to speed things up, however that does not explain it coming on when set on face...... Are both fans running in front of the Rad?
Pete
________
MARIJUANA HEMP
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I'm sorry I was wrong. It's only when the switch is on windscreen. The problem I have with this is that I don't want the a/c on unless I switch it on myself. So my next question is can I disconect this function and will it effect anything else. I have the windscreen setting on 99% of the time I'm driving and I don't want to up my fuel consumption as I bought a Diesel for it's better fuel economy.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Alex, this is what mine's like and like you leave w/s demist on permanantly.
I'm trying to get into the habit of NOT leaving on demist
Look at
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=9982
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

It's annoying though isn't it Bernie. I will take the control box apart and see what I can do. If you want I will let you know the results. I've done it before to change a bulb so should be easy now.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Alec, I would think there is a micro switch on the lever just like on the BX temp. knob
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I will look this W/end hopefully and post the results if any.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I have a feeling that bernie is right so if you dont push the knob all the way to the screen position it should direct almost all the flow in that direction but not turn the aircon on, the other thing is that modern aircons dont load up the engine as much as the older ones did, a bit like the advances in auto box technology have reduced the efficeincy differences between them and manual boxes
Pete
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.Abd
My Cars:

Post by Tom.Abd »

Have to agree with Bernie. The system switches to the auto program only when the lever is hard against the stop at the demist end. There seems to be a bit of a gap between the end stop and where it starts to redirect the air to the floor vents so you should be ok just easing it back 1/4" or so.
Tom.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I have tried this but it blows on my feet almost as soon as I move it. I can do it if I stop and fiddle but I don't want to have to do that every time I want to adjust the slider.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Got it sorted now. Removed the Ventilation control box and popped the top cover off. When you slide the Vent slider another black cog linked to it turns. On the other end of this is a "pot" on a circuit board that turns the a/c on when slider is on w/screen. REMOVAL. If you put the slider onto face vents (far left) then remove the pcb. Whilst pcb is off move slider back to w/screen and the black cog comes out. Now you can have w/screen on without a/c coming on automatically. When you remove the pcb make sure the other cog on it doesn't turn as this is the automatic temp controller. If anyone else wants to do this and aren't too sure I can do a more detailed version.
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi
my xantia w reg 2000 doe sthis, but once the car has been going 5minutes or so the fans return to normal speed or stop all together, so not sure if thats how it's meant to be or if its broke.
deano
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Hi Deano, are you talking about the Radiator fans or the heater fans. If it's the heater fan and the blower is set to auto the fan will run fast until the heat sensor has warmed up. If it's the engine fans then if the a/c is on they run at half speed.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alec</i>

Got it sorted now. Removed the Ventilation control box and popped the top cover off. When you slide the Vent slider another black cog linked to it turns. On the other end of this is a "pot" on a circuit board that turns the a/c on when slider is on w/screen. REMOVAL. If you put the slider onto face vents (far left) then remove the pcb. Whilst pcb is off move slider back to w/screen and the black cog comes out. Now you can have w/screen on without a/c coming on automatically. When you remove the pcb make sure the other cog on it doesn't turn as this is the automatic temp controller. <b>If anyone else wants to do this and aren't too sure I can do a more detailed version.</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Appreciate it if you could mate and we'll see about putting it into "Common problems & fixes"
Cheers,
Alan S
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

How To In Full. Remove the stereo ( 4 torx screws ). Slide out the ash tray insert and remove the vent controls surround ( 2 torx screws at bottom of vent controls). Remove the vent control box ( 4 torx screws) by lifting it clear of the fixing points and pulling forward. Remove the top of the controller (at either end the top clips onto the main unit, bend out the clips till they click open and remove top). Now you have to remove the control cables ( realease the clips holding them in place and remove the cables). Now unplug the electrical connections. The rest will be from memory and mine isn't the best! Slide controller to face vent (far left) then remove the circuit board (2 screws)<b> make sure the other cog doesn't </b><b>move.</b> Now slide the lever to the far right (wind screen). You can now remove the cog that automatically turns on the a/c. You can now refit the unit but before refit the electrical connection and start the car to make double sure that the a/c doesn't come on if it does move the pot that the cog was fixed to until the a/c turns off. Now refit as the Haynes always suggest. But make sure the wires don't get pinched when fitting the top cover back on. When refitting the control cable's DON'T drop a clip as it will fall into the most awkward position it can possibly find. Then you will probably spend the next half hour trying to find it and on finding it spend another hour trying to remove it with, I might add, a serious bout of turrets syndrone and near divorce. I hope this is usefull to someone. Any queries just let me know. One more bit of advice when the control box is out fiddle with it so you are familiar with it's working's. It should take no more than 2 hour's to do the whole job.If you wan't you could change the bulbs at the same time instead of removing the control unit twice like I did.
Alan S if it looks o.k could you put it onto "Common problems and fixes" feel free to edit or add anything else.