New compressor fitting

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brian60
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso

New compressor fitting

Post by Brian60 »

I have an 2006 english xsara Pic that is re registered on to spanish plates - get that out the way! A couple years back the aircon called it a day, I took it to a local garage who showed me the compressor needed replacing, but they wouldn't do it due to the price! If I bought the unit they would fit it etc etc, well if I bought it I could fit it myself!

So move on a couple years and this summer has been a real roaster and my wife has decided we need the aircon back. After much trouble I finally sourced a unit in the UK from eurocarparts £300 or so. Now to my dilemma. I can fit it no problem, its not beyond my capabilities ( a new drive belt going on at the same time) However I have read that before the car is started it needs to be primed by turning over by hand a few times. SO the question is, can I do this priming and then drive to have a re-gas done, or will the re-gas need doing before it is driven? Its approximately 6kilometres to my re gas station.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: New compressor fitting

Post by xantia_v6 »

If you leave the electric connection to the compressor clutch disconnected, it will be safe to drive. It should be safe anyway because the gas pressure switch should disable the compressor clutch.
Brian60
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso

Re: New compressor fitting

Post by Brian60 »

Thanks for the reply, I'll fit the unit and leave the connection loose until I get to the refill station.

I should have said the garage didn't want to get and fit a unit due to the cost - it was almost 700€ over here. The owner didn't want me to feel as though he was ripping me off on charges, the reason why he said if I get the unit he would fit it, not that he was some fly by night back streeter as we would say in England :-D