208 1.2 petrol wont rev over idle

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2024

Re: 208 1.2 petrol wont rev over idle

Post by moizeau »

A washed liner would normally cause wear on the rings and a glaze on the liner. If it were mine I'd borrow a valve from another cylinder and have a quick lap to confirm valve seat condition. If good put a new valve in, turn the head upside down and fill the combustion chamber with diesel and leave overnight to check for seepage. If you can get the piston out from underneath to confirm the ring condition all the better. Bet the bit of valve is in the exhaust.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
tmead
Donor 2023

Post by tmead »

thanks, it's going to have to wait until after the bank holiday and a few other jobs. I may have a play with lapping in a swapped valve to see if it will clean up. The seat doesn't look bad.
tmead
Donor 2023

Post by tmead »

And now i've messed up - dropped a collet on the floor as I was clearing up the stripped parts to make space for another quick job, and I can't find it. That's a real pain. A quick google last night didnt show anything up, although I dont have the OE part number to search in detail.
Valves are surprisingly cheap though, at around a tenner. After a bank holiday break i will have a try at swappgin and lapping a valve and see how it cleans up and seals. Trouble is, I will then need the right number of collets !
tmead
Donor 2023

Post by tmead »

If anyone is able to point me to the part number for the collets I'd appreciate it. I can't find that one that I dropped.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Guys - if you are requesting parts, please use the official thread as I may not see your request elsewhere unless I read through every post - and I don't have time for that:

Official Parts Request Thread
tmead collet.PNG
(3) Valve Half Cone, part: 9816171280, £3.48
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tmead
Donor 2023

Post by tmead »

Thanks for the nudge Marc, I'll make sure I use that in future.
tmead
Donor 2023

Post by tmead »

I released the next door exhaust valve too, and that was pretty badly pitted, so its not only the one thta burnt that's bad. I gave up on the idea of resurecting the engine and sourced a replacement. Swapping is pretty straightforward, just strip the bumper, rads and font grilles off and the whole powerplant comes out without bother.
Replacment engine in and we're almost good to go - MOT today ! fingers crossed.

I may have a look at the engine ethat came out, just to get it put back together, but I'm relally not sure. The manifolds are quite oily, so i suspect its been burning oil. Its not worth doing the valve stem seals without proibably replacing all the exhaust valves. Im not sure I can summon the energy for this project, even though the engine ready to run should sell for around the 500 quid mark by the look of ebay. I have other things to do !
If anyone wants a project puretech 1.2 engine, let me know !
Netwerkers
New User

Post by Netwerkers »

Hello tmead.

I know this post is almost a year old now. But i think I might have the exact same problem, or at least your symptoms are exactly the same...

My Citroen C1 with the 1,2 VTi PureTech starts and idles rough (sounds like its only igniting two cylinders) no throttle response at all, engine light on, can not contact the ECU (or yes if I chose an older model, but seems a bit odd) but all the other modules works fine.

It reports error on injector 3 and throttlepedal open to poistive...

I tried ignition changing ignition coils and moving the sparkplugs around to no luck at all. Then I tried to disconnect throttle pedal and throttle body, stil no difference 🤷‍♂️

Then I found you amazing post, thank you so much for making a detailed follow up!

I have just one question, how did it end? Did everything come back to life after engine replacement? No more dead throttle and fan turning on after?

Hope you see this 🙏