I've bought an Alfa !!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When you check your big end journals you'll need to check for flatness and run-out i.e. going oval. If they're badly worn, scorred, scratched or out of round/flat it's regrind time. You'll need a dial gauge, a flat surface and some vernier calipers (or maybe a micrometer) to measure it all accurately.
Alternatively you could just buy the shells, fit them and see what it runs like. I'd be tempted to replace all of the big ends shells, if one's bad the rest have had the same abuse and won't be in perfect shape.
I had a colleague who had a 156, it ran perfectly from new (2000 model) and it hasn't developed a single fault since he bought it. His brother bought a 156 1.8 which had a habit of drinking its engine oil, he didn't keep a close eye on it and it ran low and siezed up. This was not an isolated occurance, its happened to quite a few people, part of the trouble is that Selenia thin synthetic oil that is specified and that the engine loves to drink it.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Heh!, i dont think its the same kind of steaks that you are on about ;)
I went the 'stick a set of shells inand see' route and it looks like i got away with it!, i took it out for a 15 mile drive tonight and it is driving very nice, reminds me of a luxurious go cart the way it accelerates and handles, it seems to just go where you point it, makes my Xantia feel like the steering is held together with an elastic band !!
I have decided that i cant part with my Xantia though as i like it too much so the wife is taking the Alfa instead of her people renault megane scenic she has got now,
It seems like i hit the jackpot with this car, only spent £1120 to buy it, £25 for new shells, and £30 for new oil and filter and thats it running sweet !
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Another one Mosser.
If only[;)][:p][:p]
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Tempted...
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Bit too tempting[:p][:p][:p][:p]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I have seen a few in the classifieds here in Bristol for about £5000-£6500 for a Y-51 reg.Looks a good car if it goes for a low price,with the other engine as well.
Hope your`s goes ok Mosser.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

That silver alfa on ebay looks nice, but i'd have to get rid od the spoiler, i prefer my cars understated, If i had the spare cash i would snap it up as it has the replacement engine in with the deal, just a bit of work and a nice car or tidy profit at the end of it !
Mine's not well again, i drove about 100 miles in it today and i can just detect the knocking again as i lift off the throttle from 3k rpm, and just as i accelerate past 3500 rpm, so it looks like its time to take the engine out!, i am gonna leave the gearbox in though, shouldnt be too difficult a job, i have just got to hire an engine hoist and engine stand so i can work on it,
It was very very nice to drive whilst it was running nicely though, it is very very powerful and the gearchange is nice, i left it in full auto mode cos i'm lazy like that when i'm driving !!, but the buttons on the steering wheel do work, i just dont see why i should change gear when the car is capable of doing it just as well as me
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Forgot to ask,
Does anyone know where i can get the crankshaft rebuilt and ground (1 journal is undersize) for a reasonable price ?, the best quote i have got so far is £330 +vat +shipping and they are in northern scotland!
Is that about the right price for a crankshaft regrind ?
What sort of cost is a new crank ?, i expect it is lots considering the cost of repairs !
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

What exactly do you need doing? Just the regrind? There is an old boy near me who does nothing but engine re-manufacturing work exactly like this, and his prices are good. I can drop in (it's literally just 2 miles away) and ask if you'd like.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks for the offer,
If you can wait till after monday, as i am buying a decent digital micrometer and bore gauge to check the conrods and camshaft journals properly, so then i will know if they need to be rebuilt up, or if i will get away with just a regrind
Thanks