Life on the edge - the Diary of a C5

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Xantianut

Re: Life on the edge - the Diary of a C5

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, Friends! :-D

I am excited!!

Papa has now finished (he thinks!) all my repairs.

He has changed all 4 calipers, rebuilt all 4 brand new calipers, fitted new rear discs and pads, a new N/S ball joint and an O/S track rod end, to,say nothing of rewiring my powerful front brakes and adjusting my bright headlights AND cleaning my seat belts to make them work!

So, 2:20 tomorrow I,see The Little Man With The Big Clipboard! [-o< [-o<

Oh, and the old Fool has vacuumed me out. \:D/ :bl:

Must be my birthday! :dunno: :birthday:

Let's hope All Is Well tomorrow.....

Love

Otterchops
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Light at the end of the tunnel!! Good luck! =D>
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

All best for the man and clipboard session Otter! I'm sure all will be good ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Ah, phooey!!!

And I mean it to sting!

I have to,wait until Tuesday for my Test now.

I am going to,sulk. LOUDLY!!!!

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Grrrrrr....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, Friends!

My MOT is "postponed."

Their lift is not working.

I am SULKING but at least I,have felt tarmac under my wide, grippy tires.

Still, let's hope the man with the BIG hammer comes soon!

Love

Otterchops.

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, Friends!

Well, Papa got fed up with Halfrauds so he went instead to KwikFit. This might have worked better if the Old Fool had gone to,the correct branch - there are 2 in Wulfrun's Fair City - but I finally met the Little Man with the Big Clipboard. He poked and prodded me, stuck a probe up my exhaust (that made my eyes cross!) scratched his head and uttered the words. She PASSED!!!!

No advisories! Halfrauds said My front brakes were worn, which they are and Papa has promised me new ones, and the oil leak from my rocker box were Advisories. Papa has nipped up,the bolts on my rocker box and has promised me a good jet wash under my streamlined bonnet.

Now, he needs to tax me again. And our Nets are playing Silly Buggers. Again.

Looking forward to going on Adventures with my People and Hounds.

Too excited to,sleep!

Love to,all

Otterchops.

PS. The Tester congratulated Papa on his workmanship and said he'd never seen better!

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yay!!!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Otterchops 1 - Halfrauds Nil :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Do I hear a fat lady tuning up? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

You do,indeed Mick. She's just glurking a glass of wine....

Also Daddy has made his technology work and taxed me with iPad!!!

Adventures await!

Love to,all

Otterchops

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news!
Jim

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, Friends.

Well, my 1st Adventure didn't quite go to plan.

We went to a place called Highley to walk my Hounds in the woods there. They love their walks and travel well on my comfy back seat with their harnesses clipped to my seat belts with carabiner clips. Mummy and Daddy took the up to the village where they had a drink at the pub. The pub had a sign telling dogs that they were welcome to bring their Humans! When they got back, we went into Bridgnorth for fish and chips!

And that's where it went runny. Papa noticed a big puddle under my stylish front bumper and traced it to a leak from my water pump. So, being a good Papa he called the RAC. After 2 hours he tried to call them. He gave up the attempt after a full hour on hold! So he filled a,couple of bottles with water and drove me,home slowly, stopping frequently to top up my radiator. We made it safely but my timing case was making some epic scraping noises!

He got busy yesterday morning. As soon as he removed my splash guard, he could,see a curved slot worn in the timing case. Thankfully he had a new timing belt kit so he set to work. All went well until he moved my camshaft! He tried to be clever, not using the timing pins! Cue an hours work barring my,powerful engine over to,find the timing hole in my flywheel while occasionally moving my camshaft when valves and pistons came together. But he did it!

He had to,leave it there with my new cam belt fitted because my Hounds were hungry and poor Daddy was VERY creaky. He has Arthur Ritis but he does like mending me.

Oh, and he fitted the nice, new water pump. He had harsh words for my designer and I agree with him. My water pump is held on with 4 12mm bolts and one stud that needs an 11mm spanner because he hasn't got an 11mm deep socket! He has a few 12mm deep sockets. Weird! But then I have the chevrons on my streamlined snout.......

He will finish reassembling me today and do a test drive. Had he not screwed up my timing, he'd have finished in 4 hours! Not bad for an amateur in the drive.

Daddy: I heard that, you little Minx! I was paid in two episodes of my life to repair cars so I am a retired pro!

Sorry Papa. Only my little joke. I did wonder why you have so many good tools. And I thought it was just because you love your Fifi!

Anyway, gotta leave it at that.

Love to all

Otterchops!

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

What caused the slot to wear Otter?
Jim

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Hello, Unka Jim.

Papa was able to not only move the pump shaft from side to side but also in and out.

However, he tried to be clever and moved my camshaft while fitting the new belt. He had to bar my powerful engine over with a crowbar on my starter ring gear. Then, a couple of times, he had to move my camshaft when my pistons made contact with my valves, but he did it! He has also discovered that, although my cam sprocket is the later type with only 1 bolt in the middle, my crank sprocket is the early type with no adjustment leeway. Also my flywheel peg is fitted as per the earlier motors. He did it and then discovered he was a couple of teeth out. So he had to start again. From 1st principles. I'll say this though. He may be an old fool but he is determined! Once the belt was fitted and tensioned, he turned my powerful engine over with a socket twice then put the pegs back,in. They fitted!!! So then he refitted my starter and turned my powerful engine over on that with my fuel lift pump in the tank disconnected. No nasty noises and my engine spun freely!

He will refit my timing covers tomorrow. He altered the middle one so it has an inspection window by simply cutting through the plastic. It has a bolt hole so,will,be secure. It also means he can refit the covers without removing my engine mount!

Oh, yes, my engine mount! This caused him some fun! 1st he had to lower my engine so he could get the torque arm in its bracket. Then he had fun putting the bolt that sticks up from,the metalastic mount on the wing through the hole in the bracket. Then the holes in my engine would NOT match up to the mount! So he used the bolts to draw the engine onto the mount. Clever!!

So, timing covers then serpentine belt to refit then NEW COOLANT!!!! That's on order so I am waiting for the postman.

Freedom beckons.....

Love

Otterchops

Xx

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)