Receiver/dryer on Xsara Hatch

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deejay93

Post by deejay93 »

The air con compressor on my 2002 110 HDi SX Xsara has packed up and needs replacing. I have been told that it is wise to replace the receiver/dryer at the same time. Is this really necessary and if so how difficult is it to do?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it is a good idea to without a doubt.

They're easy to replace, certainly easier than a compressor. It's the bottle-like thing with the sight-glass on top and the HO/LO pressure switch on the side.

Just two pipe unions on it. Do replace the pipe seals though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deejay93

Post by deejay93 »

Thanks for the reply Jim but can you tell me where it is situated on the Xsara Hatch as for the life of me I cannot find it! :(
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

It will be engine side of the radiator, not sure if right or left. Look for a canister about two inches across, and seven inches tall. Follow the aluminium aircon pipes to find it.

I would leave it phyiscally installed (but unconnected and sealed shut) so the fridgies could plumb it in immediately when they were going to vacuum the system down after compressor replacement. Leaving a new unit open to the air ruins it super-fast.
deejay93

Xsara hatch receiver/dryer

Post by deejay93 »

Thanks Addo for your reply, sorry for delay but been away.

This is an elusive piece of kit as I still cannot locate it. Looks like Citroen in their wisdom have buried it away somewhere. There are pipes leading under the driver's side wing but without taking the liner out you cannot see properly and there does not seem to be enough room under there. Other pipes go towards and under the dash, which seems ominous to me. Rather strangely it all seems to be a bit of a secret as nobody has actually said where it is yet!

Regards

Dave