FAPLite

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: FAPLite

Post by MikeT »

crapday69 wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 16:37
MikeT wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 13:42 Got hold of the OBD adapter only to find FAPlite doesn't support my ECU.

Contact the developer and see if its something he will add on his next update.

He(she?) have thought of that - it caused a popup asking if I would like to share my log with the developer so that improvements can be made.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

MikeT wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 13:42 Got hold of the OBD adapter only to find FAPlite doesn't support my ECU.

I downloaded FAPlite not long ago and I'm pretty sure it listed all the ECU's supported in the description on the play store, so if you didn't check your car was supported then..... ?

None of these 3rd party solutions do everything that a Lexia 3 does so you'd always want to check carefully if it will do what you need first before forking out for an adaptor.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Mandrake wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 08:59

I downloaded FAPlite not long ago and I'm pretty sure it listed all the ECU's supported in the description on the play store, so if you didn't check your car was supported then..... ?

None of these 3rd party solutions do everything that a Lexia 3 does so you'd always want to check carefully if it will do what you need first before forking out for an adaptor.

It's not unreasonable to expect the developer to continue developing the app as intended, is it Simon?
While other apps will readily show some live data (so it's not entirely a waste of £5), my disappointment is that FAPLite announces my car isn't supported and subsequently can't show anything at all.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Any idea why I cannot connect to ecu with FAPLite and my obd2-bluetooth -dongle? With torque same dongle works fine, and it should support all obd-protocols.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OBD2 probably does not support all the Constructor codes - just the generic stuff I suspect - so when you have a newer or specific ECU it may not talk to it - especially if the full CAN communication protocols are not supported by your dongle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Any hint of bluetooth dongle that would work with FAPlite and would be "low-profile" so it fits under C5 X7 armrest?
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

Can’t you unfasten connection from under the armrest
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Xantippa wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 12:05 Any idea why I cannot connect to ecu with FAPLite and my obd2-bluetooth -dongle? With torque same dongle works fine, and it should support all obd-protocols.

Torque seems to tell you it is working fine when in fact it isn't. It told me there were no fault codes on my daughters Peugeot even though the engine warning light was on.

FAPlite and OBD arny both read the codes when I got hold of a suitable dongle. Torque still told me there were no faults.

As for dongles this one works with FAPlite / OBD arny.
Dibber
My Cars: Citroen C2 Furio

Post by Dibber »

After seeing this thread I too downloaded the free version. It popped up a couple of codes for my MAP sensor right away. I had been messing around with the MAP and at that time I got the same two codes. I had cleared them at that point.

Strangely two other apps are not seeing these codes now. Not even in pending or historic. After clearing them with FAPlite it then popped a BSI coherence code that I have yet to research.

I too tried the cooling fan test and it worked fine.

This app looks extremely promising. I like how you can configure minimum and maximum values on individual PIDs.

I am very tempted to go with the full version. Only immediate thing missing for me would be the ability to graph data. I have an app and a program on laptop that I currently can do that with.

It's been able to communicate with my paltry amount of modules on my C2.

The actuator tests are a big draw too. You would have to spend a fair bit of money to get a tool to do those.
sadang
My Cars: Peugeot 308 SW 1.6 BlueHDI 2015

Post by sadang »

Hello,

Has anyone tried to sniff the communication between FapLite and the OBD2 interface? Couldn't the specific controls for monitoring the particle filter on Peugeot cars be discovered in this way and be used in custom applications with microncontrollers?

Thanks,
SaDang
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I doubt it very much - because there are multiple conditions for determining the particle filter regeneration process - including not only differential pressure sensors, but also driving conditions, exhaust gas temperature and theoretical values of soot loading (maps) built into the engine ECU software and a host of other readings that are used to determine: i.e.:
  • Calculation of the weight of soot present in the particle filter
  • Differential pressure (measure)
  • Exhaust gas temperature (downstream of the catalytic converter)
  • Inlet air flow
  • Information on mixture coming from the oxygen sensor
The first 2 bits of info on the above list are dependent on the load level of the particle filter. So for example 'Calculation of the weight of the soot present in the particle filter' is itself determined by:

The engine management ECU incorporates maps modelling the weight of soot present in the particle filter, according to the type of driving encountered by the vehicle.
The engine management ECU calculates the emissions of soot from the vehicle each time it is driven (in grammes).

The calculation of the emissions of soot takes into account:
  • Emissions based on stabilised points (engine speed/torque) recorded in a mapping.
  • A correction in accordance with the difference in the mixture.
The combination of these two values determines the theoretical moment of the regeneration.

So this is just one process to determine the theoretical soot loading alone, so it is not just a matter of physical sensors but a combination of many other factors that are too detailed to go into here.

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'd forgotten all about this thread until it was resurrected, the kit I mentioned earlier, recommended by Jim from ED was the Wurth WOW lot, it did all I wanted but I never tested it to the full,

I've got both the Lexia and the WOW kits now but haven't done much with them, the car's running fine so I haven't bothered.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
sadang

Post by sadang »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 10:25 I doubt it very much - because there are multiple conditions for determining the particle filter regeneration process - including not only differential pressure sensors, but also driving conditions, exhaust gas temperature and theoretical values of soot loading (maps) built into the engine ECU software and a host of other readings that are used to determine
You are right, perhaps is impossible without a deep research, but I'd like to have on my car something as seen here:

-

This is the version for Opel, but I think it would be a useful device for Peugeot too, especially for those who drive predominantly in the city.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I understand now what you are after. That data is only basic data that is part of the larger data set available in Diagbox, so I expect that gizmo is just getting certain data streams from the engine management ECU and outputting it onto a display.

Marc
sadang

Post by sadang »

Yes indeed, that's the ideea. Sniffing the communication between FapLite and ECU maybe we can discover at least the commands to read these data, make an arduino sketch and load it in an attiny connected to CAN low and high pines on car's OBD2. I'll try this tomorrow to see what I get. Perhaps someone already did this thing and can help a bit.