Frustrating C5!: Q2 why does my sat nav do this? (RT6)

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Y Cymro
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0hdi Exclusive Auto

Re: Frustrating C5!: Q2 why does my sat nav do this?

Post by Y Cymro »

Ok, the good news is that I've upgraded eMyWay firmware to the latest 2.86 version. Thanks very much to Marc for advice and firmware iso files.

What I've learnt is that upgrading via USB flash drive is much more robust, reliable, and quicker than using CD media.
The upgrade using CD failed leaving the CD stuck in the head unit, and a black screen with no functionality. It was a struggle to get the CD out of the unit: holding the eject button did nothing, nor did pressing the power and eject buttons together. Switching on ignition whilst holding the eject button didn't work, nor did disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Each time I switched on the ignition the drive started to turn so I used another CD, held it into the drive bay slot by about 30mm and tipped the spinning CD (which is beneath the slot) forcing the head unit to eject it. It took a few attempts, and each time I got more aggressive with the hand held CD.
Due to the above problems Marc suggested an interim upgrade from my original v2.76 to v2.80 which I did using a flash drive as I didn't want to risk a stuck CD again. The unit took about 10 mins to read the flash drive before the update started, but it was successful and took around 25 mins or so in total. The upgrade from 2.80 to 2.86 was also completed using a flash drive. Reading the drive took longer - about 20 mins, though the upgrade took about 10 mins after this.
Was it worth it? Well I have the latest firmware version now so presumably many bugs have been quashed. The reversing camera shows an image in lower light levels when only darkness would be displayed in the earlier firmware. There are a couple more colour options available for the screen display. The sat nav benefits from a new night mode highlighting roads more legibly, and also adding stars to the sky (?!), and the magnified lane guidance is clearer about which route to take. The parking sensors are a bit louder, and the radio is more effectively quietened when the sensors squawk. On BBC radio channels, the track and musician names are displayed ( haven't tried other channels yet). I'll add any more functionality changes I notice.

It was an easy process, but some times frustrating due to the failure to upgrade from CD and that I was concerned I'd end up with a brick when new firmware didn't load. Only you can decide if the benefits are worth it. I would strongly recommend you use a flash drive due to it's increased speed and reliability over CD.

My thanks to Marc for his advice and patience.

Think I'll upgrade my maps next.

Hwyl!
Steve
2013 Citroen C5 Exclusive Tourer, 2.0 HDI Automatic with Techno pack
Y Cymro
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0hdi Exclusive Auto

Post by Y Cymro »

I didn't buy the full European maps due to the infrequency they'd be needed. The upgrade of UK mapping was simple and took about 25mins from a flash drive without problems.
Last edited by Y Cymro on 07 Oct 2017, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Citroen C5 Exclusive Tourer, 2.0 HDI Automatic with Techno pack
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great Steve - I hope now that your're not in Portsmouth when you're actually in Abertawe!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Slikeb
My Cars: CITROEN DS5

Re: Frustrating C5!: Q2 why does my sat nav do this? (RT6)

Post by Slikeb »

Hello everyone,

I come here because I'm really needing your help. I'm having this same problem with my Citroen DS5, the RT6 had the FW RNEG2.70.E.3 and I was trying to install the FW 2.86b1 by the CD player. Mistake, I know it now!

When I ran the CD it asked if I wanted to install, I said Yes and seconds next the screen become black and never more light on. I didn't saw any status from the FW being installed, it simply never appeared and the autoradio is now off.

At this time, the CD is stuck inside the player and don't eject or do nothing. Every time I turn on the Car I listen the CD running inside the player, but anything happens even after 2 hours running. I already have tried to long press eject button, unplugged the battery and nothing from the CD to coming out or to install.

I also have tried with usb using FW 2.85 on, but nothing happened (the led of the pen lighted but any installation happened), I presume because the CD still remains on the player.

Please could you help me solving this?

Thank you
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi

Have you used a genuine firmware update CD from the dealer? Many downloaded versions from the web are known to cause problems.

Back to your problem. Nothing wrong with a CD update, in fact it is the recommended method. However, it can take up to 50 minutes, and in some cases, the screen can go blank whilst updating for 30 or more minutes!

Therefore if you have switched the car off or interrupted the update, you may have bricked your unit by leaving it in an incomplete state. Also the car must always be running during an update in case economy mode kicks in and corrupts the upgrade.

You can try holding the EJECT button in for 5-7 seconds to reboot the unit.

If that fails, the last thing I can suggest is to carefully remove the RT6 unit from the fascia, leaving it connected to the cables. On the underside of the unit there is a small slot. Looking inside, you should be able to see 2 solder joints. It is my understanding that if these 2 points are shunted, it will reset the unit back to factory defaults. I cannot guarantee this will solve your issue though.

I am also aware that as you have a DS5, the RT6 will be integrated with the dash, so you will have to remove the fascia part which will contain the switches and buttons that push the controls of the RT6 behind it.

Marc
Slikeb
My Cars: CITROEN DS5

Post by Slikeb »

Hello Marc,

Thank you for the answer. Today I decided to put hands on the job and took out the unit.

The CD was stuck at the player, the screen doesn't light, but every time I torn on the car it starts to roll, however, nothing happens at the screen. So, with the CD inside, I replaced the SD card for a new one (Kingston 8gb HC 4class), unplugged the battery and once again, nothing happened at the screen or any sign of being installed something. At this time, I also tried to put a USB pen with the fw 2.85 and nothing happened (the CD was inside).

Tired of 4h30 wasted on this, I puted everything back on is place and headed home. Suddenly, the CD just come out by is own will! I took it and the player started to make a sound of wanting to push a CD and doesn't stopped.

When I was arriving at home I inserted the USB pen and noticed the player stopped the sound. I didn't stay much longer at the car, but for about 3 minutes anything appeared at the screen.

At this point, with the CD out of the unit what you recommend to do?

Thank for the attention.

Kind regards
lkraav
My Cars: C5 X7 Tourer 1.6THP Exclusive 2012

Post by lkraav »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 21:40 PM Sent with 2.80 firmware link.

Hi Marc. Are you able to link me firmwares for getting up to date from my current version 2.75? Tyvm
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi - Please be aware that there are known issues with updating to 2.80 / 2.86 !! You may get a noise and echo from using bluetooth and you may find your reversing sensors are quieter and a few other issues. There are also issues with applying the firmware update via USB.

If you are going to take the plunge, I would strongly suggest that you order the official CD for a few Euros from the dealer - and at the same time book it in for the recalibration software to be applied unless it has already been done, to resolve the issues I described. Some factory applies firmware updates may have this done on version 2.70 minimum at new.

Many have not bothered to update it to 2.8 as your version (2.75) works with the latest maps and is working perfectly fine. If you really want to risk it I can supply the link, but use at your own risk....

The part number for the CD is 98 918 948 80 for the 2.86 Update.

Marc
lkraav

Post by lkraav »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 15:39 ...
Many have not bothered to update it to 2.8 as your version (2.75) works with the latest maps and is working perfectly fine. If you really want to risk it I can supply the link, but use at your own risk....

Oh, wasn't aware of such a big problem set. I'm not in a particular hurry, I think, even though quieter reverse beep would be terrific :)

Do you know if there are there any changelogs available for these updates, or are we dealing w/ arcane closed doors development policies here?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No
Yes :-D

They generally tend to be bug fixes, not that they will tell you what they are. But GPS issues, some compatibility for newer Bluetooth phones and the like.
If it works, I would leave it to be honest as updating can also bring other bugs along that weren't there.

Marc
lkraav

Post by lkraav »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 15:48 No
Yes :-D

They generally tend to be bug fixes, not that they will tell you what they are. But GPS issues, some compatibility for newer Bluetooth phones and the like.
If it works, I would leave it to be honest as updating can also bring other bugs along that weren't there.

I'm a software engineer. Yeah, that's exactly how the bug rollercoaster is.

New plot twist: did BT phonecall and wife reports crazy echo on 2.75 firmware. I thought that was supposed to arrive only with 2.80 or later :)

Maybe in connection with my "0 satellites visible" issue, I should attempt the update after all?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I wasn't aware that you have updated the firmware already - in that case you already have the problem! You will need the RT6 calibrating then to correct the issue.

This is a file that the dealer can only download and apply - so if that needs doing then you may as well get the 2.86 update ordered on CD. Or the other way round - order the update CD, then get the dealer to apply it and the Bluetooth calibration for you.

As for your Satellites not visible..... I can't say for sure if that could be as a result of a previous firmware update, but others have had varying issues until the file was applied. In some instances of these later firmware updates, owners have had to have the Head Unit configuration parameters re-telecoded, especially in cases of a major firmware update. Some of these settings can directly affect the operation of the unit, as there are parameters for the type of dash screen aerial configuration, tuner type, etc.

So your dealer should be able to code these back at the same time for you and fingers crossed that will solve your satellites not visible option.

I should add that although the RT6 configuration parameters can be telecoded if you have access to Diagbox, the configuration file is generally accessible by the dealer only.

Marc
lkraav

Post by lkraav »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 21:42 Ok, so I wasn't aware that you have updated the firmware already - in that case you already have the problem! You will need the RT6 calibrating then to correct the issue.

I haven't updated anything myself.. But unsure what the head unit has been through before. I'll find out what the dealer can do for this.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yep, a decent dealer with anyone au fait with telematics should know about this. You have the part number for the update CD too in case they think you have lost the plot!

Marc
lkraav

Post by lkraav »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 21:42 Ok, so I wasn't aware that you have updated the firmware already - in that case you already have the problem! You will need the RT6 calibrating then to correct the issue.

This is a file that the dealer can only download and apply - so if that needs doing then you may as well get the 2.86 update ordered on CD. Or the other way round - order the update CD, then get the dealer to apply it and the Bluetooth calibration for you.

As for your Satellites not visible..... I can't say for sure if that could be as a result of a previous firmware update, but others have had varying issues until the file was applied. In some instances of these later firmware updates, owners have had to have the Head Unit configuration parameters re-telecoded, especially in cases of a major firmware update. Some of these settings can directly affect the operation of the unit, as there are parameters for the type of dash screen aerial configuration, tuner type, etc.

I found gpsunderground forums now, where, among others, our own hero vborovic worked hard at, too.

After reading the available RT6 threads, I understand the firmware differences and the (need for) calibration process better now. Got the dealership appointment scheduled for early Mon morning, fingers crossed.

I've learned I might not be able to get RT6 source car VIN. If that's the case, what's the action plan - are there some "well known factory-configured RT6 car" VINs to use for downloading a "good enough" calibration file?