Laguna rear calipers

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Laguna rear calipers

Post by doctle »

Hi Guys
My mates 2008 Laguna needs the rear brake calipers replaced. Is this a DIY job or is OBD software like Clip needed? I'm getting the job if it's doable without electronics, it has an EPB.
Thanks
Paul
Oh buggle
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: Laguna rear calipers

Post by sparksie »

Only ever done pads on these and, not having the Renault tool ourselves, what we did was take it for a diagnostic session at a friendly dealership and ask them to retract the caliper. Then we disconnected the battery and towed it back to ours, where we completed the pad change.
Obviously not feasible for your mate, unless he has a contact and access to a recovery rig of some sort.
I'm not sure it will work for changing the caliper, though.
I can't recall whether the handbrake mechanism is conventional, with the piston operated by a cable, just like a mechanical one, or is the handbrake actuator built in to the caliper. If the former, then it should be ok, but keep your fingers out of the way until the battery is isolated.
If, however, the actuator is in the caliper, then I strongly suspect you'll need the right diag kit for it, to initialise the new caliper.
Doubtless, someone with more recent experience and a brighter memory will be along shortly...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Laguna rear calipers

Post by doctle »

Thanks mate I think I will leave it alone. It's not a paying job and it seems to have a lot of potential to go wrong.
Dealer job I think
P
Oh buggle